Windows 10: Mount external USB3 disk after Safely Removing it?

Discus and support Mount external USB3 disk after Safely Removing it? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Win 10 Pro 64bit. I have an external hard disk (WD MyBook) connected via USB3. After using it I use the "Safely Remove ..." thingo to remove/unmount... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by larrymcg, Oct 6, 2016.

1. larrymcg Win User

Mount external USB3 disk after Safely Removing it?

Win 10 Pro 64bit. I have an external hard disk (WD MyBook) connected via USB3. After using it I use the "Safely Remove ..." thingo to remove/unmount it. Sometimes I want to mount it again but the only way I have found to do that is to power the drive down and up again. I'd like to mount it again without powering the disk down and up. This disk does not have a power switch so I have to pull the power adapter.

Seems like there should be an easier way to mount the disk. Suggestions?

-- Larry

:)

larrymcg, Oct 6, 2016
  2. Marcomm_ Win User

External hard drives do not stay active

Hi,

I cannot avoid to put external usb3 hard drives at sleep! I want that all my extern al hard drives will always be on anbd never go to sleep.

"USB selective suspend setting" is disable and "turn off hard disk after" is set to zero.

Hard disks are connected on a usb3 pci-e card.

Marcomm_, Oct 6, 2016
  3. Why do I need to call 'disk management' to see my drive in file explorer?

New WD external usb3 2Tb drive, connected on usb3-port.

Seen when starting Windows (text screen).

It does not show in 'file explorer'…

Only after starting 'disk management' the drive pops up in 'file explorer'.

Why?

sander advokaat, Oct 6, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Only reasonable way to remount it is to unplug the USB cable from PC and plug it in again.

Personally I don't see a point in unmounting it. I keep my external disks always mounted.

Kari, Oct 6, 2016
  5. Phone Man Win User
    I have a WD MyBook Essentials and it has a power button on the back right above the USB port. Its black and not marked, just a rectangle shaped button that blends into the case.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Oct 6, 2016
  6. larrymcg Win User
    I've examined the disk closely and find no power button (or any other button or control).

There are a couple reasons I don't keep the external disk mounted:

1. Under Win 7, I could not start/restart the system if the disk was powered up so I got in the habit of unmounting it and powering it down. Lots of folks had that problem and it didn't get solved until I upgraded the OS to Win 10.

2. Articles on avoiding virus infections, and especially the stuff that encrypts your files and demands money, recommend keeping your backup disk unmounted when not doing backups. I don't schedule backups so I don't need the backup disk available all the time.

So, I think I will keep powering it down when not in use. And I will make sure my next external disk has a power button!

-- Larry

larrymcg, Oct 6, 2016
  7. Phone Man Win User
    My MyBook is a few years old and it looks like they removed the power button on newer units.
    Check your local Lowes for one of these:

Mount external USB3 disk after Safely Removing it? [​IMG]

Mount external USB3 disk after Safely Removing it? [​IMG]

Works great for Christmas trees also.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Oct 6, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

sometimes actually you want to connect the device to another machine or even a TV, otherwise I would agree with you. Locally attaching a device especially USB3 is invariably quicker than using any sort of LAN for sharing etc.

Sometimes too you might have a VM running on the Host and you want to specifically detach (disconnect) the USB drive from the HOST and connect it to the VM. It's safer to UNMOUNT from your Windows host before attaching the drive to the VM -- unmounting ensures that any data in the cache etc is written / read from the HDD before moving it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 6, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    OP's question made it quite clear that the external disk remains connected to one and same machine all the time.

Kari, Oct 6, 2016
  10. larrymcg Win User
    Phone Man, I don't know if you were trying to be funny but I got a good chuckle about using a remote controlled switch! And then I remembered that I have X-10 modules with remote controls that could work just fine. Hmmmm....... I'll have to think about that.

jimbo45, I do keep the disk attached to this PC. I also have it set for Quick Removal and sometimes it still will not unmount (the System process and/or the File Explorer have files open on it). System Restore is not enabled for this drive. I just power it down anyway. This seems like a common problem for other folks too.

-- Larry

larrymcg, Oct 6, 2016
  11. Phone Man Win User
    Larry, It was a legit post. Growing up our TV did not have a remote and when my Mom wanted a station change I would have to get up and go change it. I was her remote. *chuckle So in my senior years I like everything I use a lot to have remotes.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Oct 6, 2016
  12. Kari Win User
    We were colleagues *Smile

13. larrymcg Win User

We got our first TV in 1951 or 52. I was the remote control in our house. I liked doing it then. Can't imagine doing it now!

I'm going to mark this thread as solved. Thanks!

larrymcg, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Mount external USB3 disk after Safely Removing it? - Similar Threads - Mount external USB3

2. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  3. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  4. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Local Disk appearing after removing external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local Disk appearing after removing external drive.: So I have a 1 TB external drive that I use for lots of stuff and every time I start Windows 11, even if the drive is plugged in, it doesn't show up because it doesn't have a drive letter. Fine, I'll assign one! BUT if the drive stays inactive for too long no read/write files...
  6. Hardware issue-USB3 external Disk.

Hardware issue-USB3 external Disk.: USB [mainly] USB3 CABLE connectors: The new SSD disks are really a pain keeping connected as the Connectors are so small they do not to stay connected. The female connector is small not like the older BIGGER USB1 and USB3 did. The slightest wiggle they come loose and Windows...
  7. Hardware issue-USB3 external Disk.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hardware issue-USB3 external Disk.: USB [mainly] USB3 CABLE connectors: The new SSD disks are really a pain keeping connected as the Connectors are so small they do not to stay connected. The female connector is small not like the older BIGGER USB1 and USB3 did. The slightest wiggle they come loose and Windows...
  8. Unable to safely eject usb3 hard disk

Unable to safely eject usb3 hard disk: hi guys, version 1909 18363.900 so i have the "better performance" option enabled for my hard disk but recently there's no way i can just click eject and remove the hard disk, it's happening ALL the time. I went into event viewer and it seems to be process 6164,...
  9. Cannot safely remove external hard disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external hard disk: When i right click safely remove Hardware and eject media, my idle hard drive automatically starts vibrating (reading/writing I dont know) everytime and then if i try to eject it says the device is currently in use. Why is this happening? I now have to shut down my laptop if...
  10. HDD in external hub spins after safe removal

HDD in external hub spins after safe removal: Win 10 build 17134. I have a HDD hub U.S.B. 03, auto-supplied. After ejection or safe removal or disconnection from devices panel etc-etc (I'd tried all the possible ways) some of my drives keep spinning (obviously also after shutdown as it has it's own plug). The hub has a...