Windows 10: Mouse and keyboard sometimes don't work after booting

Discus and support Mouse and keyboard sometimes don't work after booting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I built my new gaming rig about a week ago. Everything worked great for the first few days, but then I started getting this problem that when I booted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kubissx, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Kubissx Win User

Mouse and keyboard sometimes don't work after booting

I built my new gaming rig about a week ago. Everything worked great for the first few days, but then I started getting this problem that when I booted my PC, the keyboard and mouse sometimes don't work at all. They have about 50/50 chance of working. It's the Corsair Strafe keyboard and the Corsair Sabre RGB mouse, both plugged into the Asus STRIX Z270F ATX LGA1151 motherboard. The PC is running Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

The keyboard and mouse are definitely getting power because the lights on them light up, but the keyboard's light setting switches to the standby one, as if the PC is off. It happens during booting because I can always get to the UEFI menu and use it. I've figured out that unplugging both peripherals and plugging them back in makes them work again; however, that's obviously not a long-term solution to the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what I could try to fix it? I'm currently on holiday (poor timing, I know), so I will be able to try out any and all suggestions when I return. I just thought I'd write this now while all the details are still fresh in my mind.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Kubissx, Aug 15, 2017

2. Windows 10 - Choose Your Keyboard + Automatic Repair loop

Sorry for the late response. Both the keyboard and mouse are wired. The computer will start but after the boot screen is showed, it will go to automatic repair and show the 'choose your keyboard' screen. The keyboard and mouse work on the boot screeen,
    but don't work afterwards.

80pop-90srnb, Aug 15, 2017
  3. Keyboard and mouse not working after boot (sometimes) - Win10

Hi,

had Windows 7 SP1 and upgrade to Win10.

All good just that pretty much every time I start my computer during the boot sequence when Win10 loads my keyboard and mouse go off... (they have lights) and stay off aka do not work. Even when I plug them in and out or into a different USB port they stay
    off when I am at the Win10 login screen.

Reboot normally fixes this. Default drivers.

PS: Yes of course the keyboard works when I boot it it literally just right before Win10 has finished booting both devices go off and stay off...

GermanJulian, Aug 15, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Hi and welcome.

Did you install the Corsair CUE software?

I've also found that the keyboard (K70 in my case) prefers to be plugged into a usb 3 connection at the back of the computer.

swarfega, Aug 15, 2017
  5. Kubissx Win User
    Thanks for replying,

I have installed the software, and both the keyboard and mouse are plugged into USB 3.0 ports at the back.

Kubissx, Aug 15, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    You could try various usb ports and see what results you get. If it still fails, consider getting an external powered usb hub. After that it may be the keyboard at fault. Do you have another usb keyboard to test?

swarfega, Aug 15, 2017
  7. Kubissx Win User
    I have not tried other ports, but I don't think it's the ports' fault since the mouse and keyboard definitely have power, they just don't get that the PC is on. An externally powered USB hub also won't help much for the same reason, the peripherals are certainly drawing power.

Testing with another keyboard is a good idea, I'll do that when I return home and get back to you. *Smile

Kubissx, Aug 15, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

It could be fast boot. You could try going into bios and turning that off.

swarfega, Aug 15, 2017
  9. Kubissx Win User
    Another good idea! Thanks. *Smile

Kubissx, Aug 15, 2017
  10. Kubissx Win User
    Turning off fast boot appears to have solved the issue. Two days without a hitch. Thank you!

Kubissx, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Mouse and keyboard sometimes don't work after booting - Similar Threads - Mouse keyboard sometimes

2. PC boots up but keyboard and mouse don't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC boots up but keyboard and mouse don't work: I just plugged in my second computer and it boots up normally but when I get to the login screen the keyboard and mouse don't do anything. The backlighting on my keyboard works but no matter what let's I press nothing works and I can't get into my PC. I've tried a second...
  3. PC boots up but keyboard and mouse don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC boots up but keyboard and mouse don't work: I just plugged in my second computer and it boots up normally but when I get to the login screen the keyboard and mouse don't do anything. The backlighting on my keyboard works but no matter what let's I press nothing works and I can't get into my PC. I've tried a second...
  4. PC boots up but keyboard and mouse don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. keyboard and mouse don't work after first reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard and mouse don't work after first reboot: Did a USB install Windows 10. When it restarts the keyboard and trackpad DON"T work. They work fine in BIOS. UGH! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-and-mouse-dont-work-after-first-reboot/fd71e1ae-00be-4195-a9b2-d7d3c38d9946
  6. keyboard and mouse don't work after first reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    keyboard and mouse don't work after first reboot: Did a USB install Windows 10. When it restarts the keyboard and trackpad DON"T work. They work fine in BIOS. UGH! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-and-mouse-dont-work-after-first-reboot/fd71e1ae-00be-4195-a9b2-d7d3c38d9946
  7. keyboard and mouse don't work after first reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. keyboard and mouse don't work after reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    keyboard and mouse don't work after reset: Hi,I refreshed and reset a desktop thatw as given to me. I rid the desktop of all files. After the reset, the mouse and keyboard do not work. I cannot connect to the internet. Help please....
  9. Keyboard & Mouse don't work

Keyboard & Mouse don't work: USB Kyeboard & Mouse work in BIOS and in windows troubleshooting but after windows 10 starts loading they both stop functioningThe USB ports still function with my wifi adapter and others but not with my keyboard or mouseThis problem persists though a windows 10 reinstall...
  10. Mouse and keyboard don't work after reseting my PC

Mouse and keyboard don't work after reseting my PC: The mouse and keyboard Not working after reseting my pc and i can't use them for anything , before i reset my pc they worked well now they don't like they are dismounted i tried it on another pc and they didn't work so help plz....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. keyboard domt work after uefi