Windows 10: Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect

Discus and support Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 10 there is this option called "Hide pointer while typing" under Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointer Options [img] The idea behind... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Linus, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Linus Win User

Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect

In Windows 10 there is this option called "Hide pointer while typing" under
    Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointer Options

Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect [​IMG]

The idea behind this option makes really sense.
    However, it does not seem to have any effect on the following apps I tried. They all behave in the following ways regardless of whether this option is checked or not:

• Notepad and WordPad: Pointer is always hidden while typing.
    • Notepad++: Pointer is never hidden while typing.
    • MS Word 2016: Pointer is hidden while typing; however hitting the shift key makes it reappear, which of course happens all the time while typing resulting in a flickering pointer...

The behaviour of Word 2016 is the worst of all. While I would prefer the pointer really being hidden while typing, a pointer that is never hidden is still better than that flickering pointer!

Can anybody confirm this behaviour or knows how to resolve it?

:)

Linus, Dec 7, 2016
  2. JohnDEMP Win User

The start menu no longer lists most app also Edge is no longer on task bar

Solved my problem by going to Settings, Devices, Mouse, Mouse Properties and disabling "Hide Pointer while typing" and rebooting.

JohnDEMP, Dec 7, 2016
  3. mlg63 Win User
    I lose my cursor after typing subject in email

You might have it set to hide the cursor while typing. Click on the body of the email and start typing to see. What email program are you using?

To check this--open Control Panel, Hardware, Mouse, Pointer Options and see if hide mouse while typing is selected.

mlg63, Dec 7, 2016
  4. Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect

Have you tried uninstalling mouse and removing driver software? Then reinstalling with latest driver.

Caledon Ken, Dec 8, 2016
  5. Linus Win User
    That would be the driver of my touchpad "Synaptics SMBus TouchPad" because it is the same regardless of whether my USB mouse is plugged in or not. Before I do something like that, however, I would like to hear from someone who is not experiencing the same effects in their Windows 10. But thanks for the suggestion.

Linus, Dec 8, 2016
  6. I'm sure you search professor google as well. A number of hits, different and same versions of word, all come back to printer, both driver and default. Hard to tell when reading as mouse pointer and typing cursor seemed to be used by people interchangeably. Sounds strange to me but worth a quick look to see if default printer is set the way you expect and that it has up to date driver.

There should be one driver for your touch pad and one for your USB mouse.

Articles also mentioned of Word addins and Macro's. Not a lot of users use these but you are likely more advance in Word than I. Bit be worth disabling all and re-enabling to rule out.

When your mouse pointer is flashing have you ever looked in task manager to see if any process(es) is/are grabbing CPU time. Might be a hidden clue.

For what is is worth my Word 2010 does not display this behavior but this software is two versions ago. Good luck.

Caledon Ken, Dec 8, 2016
  7. Linus Win User
    Thanks for your additional suggestions.

Today though I checked two other PCs at the office both running Windows 10 with Word 2013 and Word 2016 respectively.

In Word 2013, everything is fine. I.e. the mouse pointer stays hidden while typing, even when you press the shift key.
    In Word 2016, it was like I described: the mouse pointer always reappears when you press the shift key.

So I conclude that it must be a bug (feature??) of Word 2016.
    That's what you get for being an early adopter. Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect :)

I might open a bug report with Microsoft.

That the setting in mouse properties of Windows 10 does not have any effect on any program is still another issue. But this is not as bad as that annoying pointer flickering in Word 2016.

Linus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect

1. Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect - Similar Threads - Mouse settings Hide

2. "Hide pointer while typing" does only work in few applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Hide pointer while typing" does only work in few applications: I would like to highlight this feature, since my pointer is ALWAYS where I am about to type textboxes, programming, forms filing etc.Toggle location: Mouse Properties > Pointer Options > "Hide pointer while typing" settingSeems like Microsoft abandoned development of this...
  3. "Hide pointer while typing" does only work in few applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Hide pointer while typing" does only work in few applications: I would like to highlight this feature, since my pointer is ALWAYS where I am about to type textboxes, programming, forms filing etc.Toggle location: Mouse Properties > Pointer Options > "Hide pointer while typing" settingSeems like Microsoft abandoned development of this...
  4. Mouse pointer settings help

Mouse pointer settings help: Hi everyone, so I have a random question. I've been messing around a bit with how my mouse looks and I like it, but there's one catch. I want to change the Link Select cursor to the same cursor as the Normal Select. And I was able to do that, but there's an issue that I'm not...
  5. Large mouse pointer hides tooltips

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Large mouse pointer hides tooltips: I have a 27 inch 1920*1080 monitor and I'm using a mouse pointer size 3 as I find this makes the mouse pointer easier to find.However in many online apps the mouse pointer the HAND overlays a tooltip so I cant see what the tooltip says.It also overlays parts of drop down...
  6. Large mouse pointer hides tooltips

Large mouse pointer hides tooltips: I have a 27 inch 1920*1080 monitor and I'm using a mouse pointer size 3 as I find this makes the mouse pointer easier to find.However in many online apps the mouse pointer the HAND overlays a tooltip so I cant see what the tooltip says.It also overlays parts of drop down...
  7. mouse pointer and cursor interfere while typing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mouse pointer and cursor interfere while typing: My laptop mouse pointer and cursor interfere while typing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer-and-cursor-interfere-while-typing/9130ad0e-5aba-4104-ac5e-0a273b7efce6
  8. What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature?: Hello, What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature? How does this feature work? I can't understand what is the feature and How I can test it? Thanks...
  9. hide pointer while typing doesn't work?

in Windows 10 Customization
    hide pointer while typing doesn't work?: I cannot get my cursor to disappear while typing. It is really messing with a few programs I use. - Yes, I double checked the mouse settings; hide pointer while typing is checked. - Drivers are all up to date with none of them recently being updated to change anything. I...
  10. Turn On or Off Hide Pointer While Typing in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Hide Pointer While Typing in Windows: How to: Turn On or Off Hide Pointer While Typing in Windows How to Turn On or Off Hide Pointer While Typing in Windows By default in Windows, the pointer is automatically hidden while typing to ensure that the pointer doesn't block your view of the text you're typing....