Windows 10: Mouse stopped working -- possibly corrupted driver?

Discus and support Mouse stopped working -- possibly corrupted driver? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; (Running Windows 10) I attached an external hard drive that held recovery disk information, and suddenly my Dell desktop stopped recognizing my mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ticked, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Ticked Win User

Mouse stopped working -- possibly corrupted driver?

(Running Windows 10)
    I attached an external hard drive that held recovery disk information, and suddenly my Dell desktop stopped recognizing my mouse -- any mouse, wired or wifi, to any USB (both mice check out fine with my laptop). I checked the Device Manager, and the mice show up on the device list under "Other devices" with yellow triangles with exclamation points. When I check the Driver status for any attached mouse, it is listed as "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device. To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."
    When I select Update Driver and choose the option for "Search automatically for updated driver software" I get the message "Windows could not find drivers for your device. If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit their website and check the support section for downloadable drivers." However, since the mice I'm trying to connect are just standard 3-button jobs, there are no downloadable drivers -- these should use standard Windows mice drivers.
    When I selected the option to Browse for the driver and set the browse to the C:/ drive and all subdirectories, I get the same "could not find drivers for your device."

I tried deleting the entries under "Other devices" and rebooting. It recreates the entries that I just deleted, with the same status messages. Note: when I googled this problem, I was led to expect an entry under Device Manager titled "Mice and other devices" but no category in Device Manager mentions mice except for this "Other devices" category.

:)

Ticked, Feb 22, 2018

2. touch screen stopped working possibly after I tried to use windows defender to update my virus programs and it said it couldn't complete the installation.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and your effort towards resolving it.

Try the following methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the hardware device troubleshooter.

Follow the below steps:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Hardware and Devices.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to update the Display driver from the Device Manager and check if this helps.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and click on Device Manager.

2. Expand Display Adaptor.

3. Right click on the video driver and select Update Driver Software. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Anusha Verma, Feb 22, 2018
  3. touch screen stopped working possibly after I tried to use windows defender to update my virus programs and it said it couldn't complete the installation.

Any ideas on why the touch screen option has died? I tried changing the settings for the touch screen or changing the cross bar touch screen option but neither has caused the touch screen to operate again. Thanks.

ceceliachaney, Feb 22, 2018
Thema:

Mouse stopped working -- possibly corrupted driver?

1. Mouse stopped working -- possibly corrupted driver? - Similar Threads - Mouse stopped working

2. Corrupted Mouse Driver - Cannot Reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted Mouse Driver - Cannot Reinstall: Hello,Yesterday, my PC encountered a blue screen of death. Rebooting and Windows Auto-repair resolved the issue, but now my mouse is not working. My mouse is an ET T7. It works when plugged into another computer. Plugging in another mouse to my PC does not work. Windows...
  3. Corrupted Mouse Driver - Cannot Reinstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted Mouse Driver - Cannot Reinstall: Hello,Yesterday, my PC encountered a blue screen of death. Rebooting and Windows Auto-repair resolved the issue, but now my mouse is not working. My mouse is an ET T7. It works when plugged into another computer. Plugging in another mouse to my PC does not work. Windows...
  4. Corrupted Mouse Driver - Cannot Reinstall

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Mouse stops working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mouse stops working: My mouse randomly stops allowing me to click, ive tried DISM, scannow, virus scan, and fully reinstalling windows but nothing is working. Ive also made sure its not something simple like i changed it from left click to right click and it happens even when i try to use the...
  6. Lost mouse cursor with corrupted drivers

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lost mouse cursor with corrupted drivers: Lost mouse cursor and also have error message on access to one drive. Have tried removing mouse drivers, but on restart no success. Do I need to make a restoration disk?...
  7. Mouse Drivers Corrupt?

Mouse Drivers Corrupt?: Sometimes when I boot up my machine, a second or two after desktop launches, my mouse pointer will stick to the right hand border of the screen. Any attempt to move the pointer will result in it being pulled back towards the screen edge. Occasionally, rather than the above,...
  8. Mouse stopped working - it was the new Intel graphics driver

Mouse stopped working - it was the new Intel graphics driver: 7-26-2018 my device had an update on 7/22 and then today on the 26th any remote mouse stopped working. I uninstalled the update that put a new file of Intel graphics driver on the machine -- suddenly mouse started working again....
  9. Buggy/corrupted mouse drivers

Buggy/corrupted mouse drivers: My desktop uses a USB wired mouse, the mouse worked fine for a month or two, then just started glitching out. Right clicks act as both left and right (at the same time, ikr, it's weird), and left clicks often refuse to go through. I'm assuming that it's the driver, not the...
  10. Pluralinput Mouse driver 0.8.6 frequently stops working

Pluralinput Mouse driver 0.8.6 frequently stops working: I 'upgraded' from Win8.1 to 10 some two weeks ago, and am experiencing an increasingly frequent and disruptive problem, in that my Cirque Smart Cat touchpad stops working, and does not become operational again without a reboot - simply unplugging it and replugging it in (USB)...