Windows 10: Mouse won't cross Extended Display edges

Discus and support Mouse won't cross Extended Display edges in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Running Win 10 on an HP Laptop. (don't ask what system or internal bits it has - not a tech-head, me...) I used to have the monitor beside my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by RedPenn, Jun 9, 2016.

1. RedPenn Win User

Mouse won't cross Extended Display edges

Running Win 10 on an HP Laptop.
    (don't ask what system or internal bits it has - not a tech-head, me...)
    I used to have the monitor beside my laptop, display extended across the two screens.
    The only app 'buttons' in screen 2 (the separate monitor) was the Start icon. I could open an app in either screen through that.
    I could drag open files or program windows from one screen to the other (shortcuts to files on Screen 1 (the laptop).
    Then - things started gnarling, so we ran a security app; it found 3K+ files with problems.
    We resolved that, and my household tech-head reinstalled Win 10 to ensure a 'blank slate' or 'clean' setup. All good.
    Until I set up the Extended screen display again. The Lappie is again Screen1, the monitor Screen 2 Looking good.
    But--S.O.dear, now I cannot move the mouse across from one screen to the other.
    *Rolleyes What setting have I missed, please?

:)

RedPenn, Jun 9, 2016

2. Moving apps to second monitor.

My setup is already set to Extended, asking about how to do that was not the issue. Dragging from screen 1 to screen 2 stops at the edge and tries to "snap" the app to that edge.

In order to move an open program from screen 1 to screen 2 I have to grasp the left part of the title bar, drag it so part of the title bar has crossed to screen 2 (without the mouse pointer coming close to the edge), release the program, THEN move the
    mouse to screen 2, grab the title bar and move it the rest of the way over to screen 2.

Thank you.

Wendell

WendellBeverly, Jun 9, 2016
  3. xZ3USx Win User
    Mouse moving to touch input

I have my touch screen laptop connected to an extended display. I want to be able to watch videos and read and do work on my extended display and touch my laptop's screen whenever I want to change music and such, without the cursor moving to where I last
    touched the screen. Because Ill be working on my extended display, tap pause on my laptop screen to stop music so I can watch a video or something, and then I have to move my mouse from where I touched the screen back on to the extended display, the mouse
    pointer doesn't stay put. Is there any way to change this?

xZ3USx, Jun 9, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello RedPenn, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It sounds like you may need to adjust the layout of your displays by making sure they are dragged to the correct positions between them in your display settings like in part 6 of the tutorial below.

Multiple Displays - Change Settings and Layout in Windows 10

Brink, Jun 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Mouse won't cross Extended Display edges - Similar Threads - Mouse won't cross

2. My displays will only duplicate, they won't extend

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My displays will only duplicate, they won't extend: I have bought a new PC. My old machine had two HDMI ports so in the past I connected my two screens one to each HDMI port and could extend the displays. The new machine only has one hdmi and a DVI port so I have connected one screen to the HDMI port and the other to the DVI...
  3. My displays will only duplicate, they won't extend

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My displays will only duplicate, they won't extend: I have bought a new PC. My old machine had two HDMI ports so in the past I connected my two screens one to each HDMI port and could extend the displays. The new machine only has one hdmi and a DVI port so I have connected one screen to the HDMI port and the other to the DVI...
  4. Extended Display won't open programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extended Display won't open programs: Running Windows 10 19044.2006 with two monitors and have display set to extended display. For some programs, bluestacks, download manager, and DazCentral, I've noticed won't load all the way or will go into a "not responding" state and will never open when the program...
  5. Extended Display won't open programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extended Display won't open programs: Running Windows 10 19044.2006 with two monitors and have display set to extended display. For some programs, bluestacks, download manager, and DazCentral, I've noticed won't load all the way or will go into a "not responding" state and will never open when the program...
  6. Extended Display won't open programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Display - Mouse will not cross to my second display in a dual display after a Wil11 Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display - Mouse will not cross to my second display in a dual display after a Wil11 Pro Upgrade: I just upgraded my MSI 64x computer with 64GB, 2T hard drive to Win11 Pro. I have a Samsung monitor with a dual display. Now in Win 111 Pro, the Intel UHD graphics controller is controlling the computer display and the NVIDIA controller is controlling the monitor. I made the...
  8. Can't cross the mouse pointer to other display monitor.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't cross the mouse pointer to other display monitor.: My Display Settings are on Extend. Both monitors with the same resolution 1920x1080. My PC was working perfectly, but one day I turned on the computer and the mouse is stuck on the main monitor, I can't switch to the extended monitor.I already tried to change the main monitor...
  9. Windows 10 will extend display but won't duplicate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 will extend display but won't duplicate: Trying top duplicate screen to Vizio TV through a HDMI cable. It will perform 2 of the 4 options properlydisplay to Laptop Only, display to TV only, extend the display between both, duplicate display on both Results of each: 1. Display to Laptop ONLY: Works fine 2. Display...
  10. Taskbar calendar edges are cut of on extended display

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar calendar edges are cut of on extended display: Taskbar calendar edges are cut of on extended display. Screenshot (missing Sunday): [img] 20498