Windows 10: Move all files inside folders to parent directory

Discus and support Move all files inside folders to parent directory in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, First of all, I would like to apologize if this topic is not in the correct forum. My problem is the following: I have a folder (let's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tonykaram1993, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Move all files inside folders to parent directory

Hello,

First of all, I would like to apologize if this topic is not in the correct forum.

My problem is the following:
    I have a folder (let's call it BASKET), inside that folder I have many other folders (for the sake of the example, I will name for example 3 folders - banana, apple, and cucumber). These 3 folders (in my case its many many folders) have files in them. I would like to move those files (from banana, cucumber, and apple) to the BASKET folder. The folders are so many, it's tedious to go in each one and move the files back one by one.

Can anyone help me out on how to achieve that in a geeky way? Some sort of batch file? A windows trick that I have not heard of?

Regards,

:)

tonykaram1993, Nov 19, 2015
  2. JodiEd777 Win User

File explorer keeps defaulting to parent folder on Windows 10.

Original Title: File explorer keeps defaulting to parent folder

I am working with File Explorer in Windows 10 on a Dell computer. I have several files on an external drive that I want to post to multiple files on my hard drive. I have a temporary directory where I move the files to my hard drive, so that I can move
    them to the other folders, elsewhere on the hard drive. The temporary directory has several folders which have multiple files in them. Each time I go into one of the folders in the temporary directory, I can move the files to their new location, but when
    the files move, Explorer automatically defaults back to the temporary directory instead of staying in the folder it was in before the file was moved. I have been doing this the same way since Vista, and it has never done this before. Anyone have an idea
    how to make it stop defaulting back to the main directory?

Thank you for your help. I am ready to pull my hair out. What used to take me half an hour with Windows 7 now takes a couple of hours because I have to go back and repeat all the steps each time I move a file. <><

JodiEd777, Nov 19, 2015
  3. losing my downloaded folder files again

yes exactly this is what happen this time

last time i lost all contents of downloads folder and all contents of desktop

this time and last time this occurred after I saved file to this directory from photoshop cc (directory last time is desktop and downloads) (directory this time folder inside downloads)

in other words, every folder i open in by photoshop and i use one of its contents or i save item inside it as PDF format i lose its content)

Omar AlSmaeil, Nov 19, 2015
  4. pyramid10 Win User

Move all files inside folders to parent directory

What you need is a file manager that can 'search' recursively from the context menu.

I work with, 99% of the time, XnView (Classic). I have done what you want to do, by right-clicking the parent folder in the navigation panel, and selecting 'show all files' recursive search. The file manager/browser will then allow you to 'browse', and list the entire contents of the parent folder and all of its sub- and sub-subfolders. Ctrl-A selects all and you just slide/drag to the parent folder.

The problem you may run into is duplicate filenames that will end up in the same parent folder. Map out a strategy beforehand.

pyramid10, Nov 19, 2015
  5. You just gave me an idea and it worked. I went to the BASKET folder and searched for the extension of the files (in my case its .mp3) then cut and pasted all the files where I wanted. Obviously this won't work for multiple extension (maybe you can search for .* ?). But thanks anyway since you gave me that idea.

Peace.

tonykaram1993, Nov 19, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    If you don't have nested folders something like this would do it - otherwise you would have to keep repeating it.

Assuming your folder "Basket" is on your desktop...

Code: cd %userprofile%\Desktop\Basket for /d %i in (*) do move "%i\*" %userprofile%\Desktop\Basket[/quote] What it is doing is changing the working directory to basket then for each directory inside it (that is the /d flag) move everything it contains to the path defined basket again).

It will prompt you if you there are duplicate names.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Move all files inside folders to parent directory

1. Move all files inside folders to parent directory - Similar Threads - Move files inside

2. Move content from all subfolders to their parent folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move content from all subfolders to their parent folders: Hi all,I have a drive with hundreds of folders in this fashion:e:/a/aa/any contente:/b/bb/any content...e:/z/zz/any contentI need the subfolders 1 per main folder, but maybe some have 2, kind of zz1 zz2 and its content files and/or folders, these need to be as they are now,...
  3. Move content from all subfolders to their parent folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move content from all subfolders to their parent folders: Hi all,I have a drive with hundreds of folders in this fashion:e:/a/aa/any contente:/b/bb/any content...e:/z/zz/any contentI need the subfolders 1 per main folder, but maybe some have 2, kind of zz1 zz2 and its content files and/or folders, these need to be as they are now,...
  4. Move content from all subfolders to their parent folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to move a file from a folder to it's parent folder in cmd?

How to move a file from a folder to it's parent folder in cmd?: I make a file test.exe in the test2 folder. This is my location in cmd: "C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\test3\test2>" And I tried using the following command: "move test.exe C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\test3" but it's not working....
  6. How to move a file from a folder to it's parent folder in cmd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move a file from a folder to it's parent folder in cmd?: I make a file test.exe in the test2 folder. This is my location in cmd: "C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\test3\test2>" And I tried using the following command: "move test.exe C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\test3" but it's not working....
  7. How to move a file from a folder to it's parent folder in cmd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Renaming parent directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming parent directory: So I bought a pc off my old boss. I've had it for about a year. I've been trying to change the user directory to my name in cmd. I have the pc renamed account named and admin to my name but when I save homework assignments or anything it has his name. And in cmd I get...
  9. Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.

Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.: Window 10 home on a Lenovo IdeaPad: I have a new 2Tbyte USB FLASH drive. On using it as a backup I get Error 80070570 errors. To debug I copied one of the files that had the error to a different directory with no problem. I deleted the original/error directory and renamed...
  10. Easy way to make record of a folder and all the files/directories inside it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Easy way to make record of a folder and all the files/directories inside it?: I have a folder that contains a bunch of sub-folders, and those folders all contain lots of sound files. I'm planning on dumping these sound files into a single folder, but I'd still like to be able to reference their previous organization. Is there an easy way to make a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. move files from inside folders windows

2. move folders to a folders parent parent

3. windows move all files from inside folders