Windows 10: Move all non OS apps to D: drive on new computer?

Discus and support Move all non OS apps to D: drive on new computer? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a new computer with 256GB SSD C: drive and 2TB HDD D: drive. Is it feasible/practical to keep just Windows 10 on the C: drive and load all other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by GFO, Jan 26, 2017.

1. GFO
    GFO Win User

Move all non OS apps to D: drive on new computer?

I have a new computer with 256GB SSD C: drive and 2TB HDD D: drive. Is it feasible/practical to keep just Windows 10 on the C: drive and load all other apps on the D: drive along with all data? I back both drives up with Acronis True Image 2017 it would seem less of a crisis if the C: drive happened to fail.

:)

2. Can I get Windows to find the previously installed content on the other, non OS drives?

Hello there,

So i just clean installed win 10 on a new drive not too long after the upgrade (heh).

On my first win 10 install I installed a hefty game on my D: drive (non os). I check for it now but it only gives me the option to re-install.

Can I get Windows to find the previously installed content on the other, non OS drives? If so, please share.

I already changed the default app download location from C: to D: and tried redownloading the app. It starts all over and I'm reluctant to see it through.

Thanks in advance,

Dance

Posted under store but still kind of recovery related, not sure if I should update that.

Original Title: Windows 10 rediscovering apps

comrade_dance11, Jan 26, 2017
  3. Avant_M Win User
    Unable to move Apps from D: drive to C: Drive

Thank you so much, so i have to consider this that i have to re-install all apps???

Avant_M, Jan 26, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

This rather defeats the point of having an ssd if you install programs on an hdd.

You have Acronis so you can easily back up ssd to hdd. As hdd is only a data drive, not much point in using Acronis really to back that drive. I just use File Explorer but of course Acronis does compress data.

However, if backup image corrupts, you lose the lot. If you just copy using File Explorer, you have a much lower risk of data loss.

cereberus, Jan 26, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    For me, it worked best to have Windows and all other programs on "c drive" [shorthand for my OS partition] and all my data folders and files on "d drive" [shorthand for my data partition]. I have Macrium Reflect and Image for Windows to make full images of both partitions onto each of the two dedicated external HDs for such backups. While I have not yet had an image go bad, I have had an external HD develop a logical read error, forcing a format.

RolandJS, Jan 26, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    As all but the simplest of programs - and all if you include shortcuts where the start menu resides on C: - have files, registry entries and possibly drivers in various folders on C:, there is really not too much justification for installing most programs on a separate drive from your OS drive.

Splitting programs across two physical drives means you have to take great care to synchronise your system image and your disk image of the other drive, if you create images like that.

Possible reasons for installing a program on a separate physical drive might include the files comprising the program that will reside on the second drive being exceptionally large- think games e.g. This could be relevant where the OS is on a smaller SSD, for example.

I have a 256Gb SSD, and a LOT of programs installed on it. I also have some 160Gb free.

The BEST approach is to make sure your personal data is NOT on your OS drive (or at least not on your OS partition). That can include as appropriate working folders and data folders programs use, which they place by default on C:

dalchina, Jan 26, 2017
  7. GFO
    GFO Win User
    Thanks so much cereberus and Roland JS for your thoughts. I have also had failed C: drive with data included and had problems with external backup drives. I was using Macrium with mixed results so I bit the bullet and went with Acronis. At this point I think I'll leave OS and all other apps on C: drive and leave just data on D:. In addition, I will create a separate partition on D: drive and backup C: there as well as on an external. Much appreciate the input from both of you.

8. GFO
    GFO Win User

Thanks, dalchina, for your input as well. I had not thought about having to sync the two backups so I'm even more convinced to go with the above mentioned plan.

Thema:

1. Move all non OS apps to D: drive on new computer? - Similar Threads - Move non apps

2. How to move all iPhone photos to D: Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move all iPhone photos to D: Drive?: I already tried "Where new content is saved" -> "New apps will save to" -> "DATA D:". It still doesn't work. I also tried taking a peek at "properties" tab by right clicking but there's no available option for that one. Finally, I tried copying the photos and videos from the...
  3. How to move all iPhone photos to D: Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move all iPhone photos to D: Drive?: I already tried "Where new content is saved" -> "New apps will save to" -> "DATA D:". It still doesn't work. I also tried taking a peek at "properties" tab by right clicking but there's no available option for that one. Finally, I tried copying the photos and videos from the...
  4. moving C drive to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    moving C drive to a new computer: Hello all,My computer is acting up and I decided to build a new one.My plan is to simply install my C drive Windows 11 into the new build and hope everything goes OK.If it matters, my current motherboard is a ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi Z390 chipset, and the new board will be an...
  5. Cant move apps to D drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cant move apps to D drive: Hello, i have forza on C drive and i want to install flight simulator but i have 30 gbs left so i need to install it to D. But everytime i try to move the forza or choose where will the apps save, it gives me error... I can download ONLY on C drive. [ATTACH] im sorry its in...
  6. Moving OS Drive To A New Build

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS Drive To A New Build: Hi, hope this is the right forum. just wanting to check i'm good to go on a system rebuild; as per my other thread, i've got some new parts [mobo, cpu, DDR4, PSU] that i'm going to put into my build that has become flaky. after chats on another forum, i discovered you can now...
  7. Moving app from C: drive to D: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving app from C: drive to D: drive: How do I move an app to a different internal drive? I'm aware of the move tool in the apps and features settings but it is greyed out and unavailable with no explanation as to why. I'd rather move the application without uninstalling and reinstalling it as it is a large file...
  8. Moving OS drive to new hardware question

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS drive to new hardware question: Hello everyone. I was wondering if It was possible to move my SSD (boot drive) onto new hardware. I'm upgrading my pc a bit, one of the things being the motherboard. I really don't want to purchase windows if I don't have to, so i'm wondering if it can be moved properly....
  9. How to move stuff from OS C: drive to D D: drive safely.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to move stuff from OS C: drive to D D: drive safely.: Hello, I am asking how to move some important file library locations music, documents, pictures, perhaps even my desktop files and more to my D drive since my OS drive is almost full. Yes, I don't understand how computers work but i messed up before and wish not to do it...
  10. Can this OS be moved to a new build computer?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can this OS be moved to a new build computer?: I want to move the OS (Win 10 pro) from an older computer to a new build. The sys. started as a Win 7 full retail sys. Then was updated Win 8 / 8.1. Then updated to Win 10. Can someone say if this can be moved and then activated? Thanks, . 64053