Windows 10: Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop?

Discus and support Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a way to make W10 move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop? I could do this in W8.1 although I was using Start8. This has become a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ken429, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Ken429 Win User

Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop?

Is there a way to make W10 move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop? I could do this in W8.1 although I was using Start8.

This has become a minor issue with W10 since when I install an update to a program (reinstall a newer version) the "old" Icon in the Taskbar becomes unusable. That would not be a problem EXCEPT on two of my 6 W10 machines the install does not create a new Desktop Icon automatically!? Any idea on what can be causing that to happen would be appreciated.

Also, is it possible to create a Desktop Icon from the All Apps list. I find the "Pin to Start" and "Pin to Taskbar" by right clicking on the program but the "Show Icon on Desktop" feature is not there or at least I can't find it?

:)

Ken429, Aug 13, 2015

2. How can I move an app from the taskbar to the desktop windows 10?

Hi Chuck

I understand your frustration when something simple just does not work.

I have tested this drag and drop procedure on dozens of different Win 10 systems and it works consistently on all of these systems. I have used Laptops, Desktops, Tablets, Mouse, Touchpad, etc and it always works.

I would recommend that you use the Feedback Hub to let Microsoft know about this problem.

Regards

Ronnie Vernon, Aug 13, 2015
  3. How can I move an app from the taskbar to the desktop windows 10?

How can I move an app from the taskbar to the desktop windows 10?

RichardVinci, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Antilope Win User

You can drag and drop icons from the Apps list or Start Menu to the Task Bar or the Desktop. A copy of the icon will be dragged to the Task Bar or Desktop and the original icon will still be in the Apps list or Start Menu.

You can also find the .exe file in the File Explorer and right click and copy the .exe file. Then right click over the desktop and paste shortcut to place an icon on the desktop.

Antilope, Aug 13, 2015
  5. Ken429 Win User
    Got it. Thanks for the quick response.

It appears MSFT is trying to get people off the Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons and onto the Start Menu. That's probably why W10 is so inconsistent when "reinstalling" a program whose "old" Icon was in the Taskbar.

Or, maybe it just a minor bug I've run into when updating the DVDFab program to the latest version on multiple machines running W10?!

Ken429, Aug 13, 2015
  6. CalBear37 Win User
    Alternately right click on the start menu all apps item, select 'open file location' and copy the appropriate shortcut to the desktop.

CalBear37, Aug 13, 2015
  7. fraktik Win User
    But none of those (right click) options are valid for "pinned" buttons (on the taskbar) - I have there a lot things, which I don't know the right exe file (and parameters) for.
    For example Feedback Hub, a lot of new apps from Store, hw related apps (Samsung Printer Experience, Samsung easy Printer Manager, Samsung Scan Assistant...) and when you add things which I REALLY USE daily (like Torch, MPC-HC, Snipping Tool, Altap Salamander, Chrome, Google Hangouts, Evernote), my 1980 pixel get full pretty fast (I use "labels" and small task bar buttons - I hate this new "no name just icon" attitude)!

fraktik, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop? - Similar Threads - Move Icon Taskbar

2. Icons moving on desktop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons moving on desktop.: Hello, few days ago I started having problems with icons on Desktop. They are moving to secondary monitor when i turn monitors into extended mode, half stay on main monitor and second half is going to other monitor. When I switch to one monitor only they get back to thier...
  3. Desktop Icons Moving

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons Moving: Every time I restart my computer, half of my desktop icons move over to my second monitor. I cannot figure out why. I've googled solutions which don't work. Both of my monitors are set to their recommended resolutions, auto arrange icons is off, and align icons to grid is on....
  4. move an often used icon from desktop to taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    move an often used icon from desktop to taskbar?: Question 1. A right click on the amazon.com icon on my desktop does not offer the 'pin to taskbar' option. Also am unable to move the icon from address bar via 'drag and drop'. Can I manually get back the 'pin to taskbar' option? Question 2. Many icons created as...
  5. move a Icon from taskbar to desktop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    move a Icon from taskbar to desktop: Move a Icon from taskbar and pace it on my desktop . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-a-icon-from-taskbar-to-desktop/968a7476-d68c-440f-afad-e6b6658e21ce
  6. Moving icons on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving icons on Taskbar: So, just recently I've noticed that Windows keeps moving my open taskbar icons to the right-hand end of the queue without any input from me. Foe example, if I open a video in Opera, with the icon to the left of a group of icons, go to full-screen, and then go back to...
  7. Desktop Icons Moving

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Moving: I have files and shortcuts that run down the left side and across the top of my screen that I keep for easy access. Whenever I save a new file to the desktop it goes to the upper left corner and moves things. I've done the usual uncheck auto arrange and align to grid checks,...
  8. How do I move an icon from the taskbar tpo the desktop?

How do I move an icon from the taskbar tpo the desktop?: How do I move an icon from the taskbar to the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-an-icon-from-the-taskbar-tpo-the/bf947d66-823c-4303-900d-9e640c9c532d
  9. Moving Taskbar to side moves all desktop icons. How to prevent that?

Moving Taskbar to side moves all desktop icons. How to prevent that?: So I move the taskbar from the bottom to the right, because it helps me when trying to code vs playing a video game in windowed fullscreen. Normally the moved desktop icons wouldn't annoy me, because I could move the taskbar back to get them to be in the right place....
  10. moving desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    moving desktop icons: Ever since the latest update my desktop icons are difficult to keep in place. I do not have auto arrange or align to grid checked. When I move icons where I want them they often snap to another position at random. I have all my desktop icons positioned around the perimeter of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to move icon from taskbar to desktop

2. move icon from taskbar to desktop

3. move from taskbar to desktop

4. how to move icons from taskbar to desktop,
  5. move icon from taskbar to desktop windows 10,
  6. how to move icon to desktop,
  7. move icons from taskbar to desktop,
  8. move from taskbar to desktop windows 10,
  9. how do i move a file from the taskbar to desktop,
  10. move app from taskbar to desktop windows 10,
  11. how to move taskbar icons to desktop,