Windows 10: Move applications to virtual desktops.

Discus and support Move applications to virtual desktops. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I was so happy to see virtual desktops on Windows. However, there's one thing I can't figure out: How do I move and application from one desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cdysthe, May 18, 2016.

1. cdysthe Win User

Move applications to virtual desktops.

Hi,

I was so happy to see virtual desktops on Windows. However, there's one thing I can't figure out: How do I move and application from one desktop to another, and how can I make sure an application always opens on the same virtual desktop? This was easy on Linux, but maybe it's not gotten that advanced on Windows yet?

//C

:)

cdysthe, May 18, 2016

2. Move Applications Between Virtual Desktops

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Try the following steps to move applications between virtual desktops.

• Right-click on the program you want to move.

• Select “Move to”, and then select the desktop number to which you want to move the program.
    You can also, drag and drop the app of your choice to the desktop you want to add.

Hope it helps.

Do let us know if you have any further query on Windows, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, May 18, 2016
  3. Move Applications Between Virtual Desktops

Thank you for the reply Nyima Yonten. My concern is not about switching between application windows, but moving them between multiple desktops. By the way, I am assuming that you meant Windows Key + Tab Key in the first step of your suggestion.

Weird Odd Wodd, May 18, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

In Windows 10, apps open in currently active desktop. You cannot make an app to open on another desktop. To move an app to another desktop after it has been opened, click / tap the Task View button, right the app you want to move and select to which desktop you want to move it:

Move applications to virtual desktops. [​IMG]

(Click / tap to enlarge.)

Thema:

1. Move applications to virtual desktops. - Similar Threads - Move applications virtual

2. Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop: Usually, I have 3 virtual desktops active. The applications I use are as follows. Workspace 1 - IDE, Obsidian Workspace 2 - Firefox Workspace 3 - Discord, SpotifyEvery time I turn up my laptop, I start them manually and put them into the correct workspaces. I want them to...
  3. Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop: Usually, I have 3 virtual desktops active. The applications I use are as follows. Workspace 1 - IDE, Obsidian Workspace 2 - Firefox Workspace 3 - Discord, SpotifyEvery time I turn up my laptop, I start them manually and put them into the correct workspaces. I want them to...
  4. Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can you move icons into different virtual desktops ?

Can you move icons into different virtual desktops ?: I know you can run apps in different virtual desktops, but is there a way to split icons between different desktops ? I would like to use a different desktop for working on a particular project and move the icons for the apps used into that desktop. Thanks Jack Win10 183680
  6. Virtual Desktop cannot open same application on different desktops

Virtual Desktop cannot open same application on different desktops: The virtual desktop feature in Windows 10 doesn't distinguish between the same application running on different desktops. For example: I open three files in Notepad++ on desktop 1. Later I open a file in Notepad++ to desktop 2. Instead of opening the file in a new instance of...
  7. Preserve virtual desktops AND open applications on reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preserve virtual desktops AND open applications on reboot: Currently on v2004 Currently have "Sign-in options --> Restart apps" on, but all my apps restarted on virtual desktop 1 even if some of them were on virtual desktop 2 when I rebooted How do I get Windows to preserve the app/VD relationship upon reboot so I don't have to...
  8. Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop

Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop: Is there any way to restrict a specific application to a specific desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/assigning-application-to-specific-virtual-desktop/f7e08427-455e-4c78-b1bd-806c6f4c1557
  9. open application again in new virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    open application again in new virtual desktop: Hello i want open application again in new desktop, for example, when i open firefox, it open new in new dekstop, but when i open Thunderbird, it will switch to same desktop it was open, but i want open again new in new virtual desktop. how its possible? thanks. 50365
  10. Move Windows from One Virtual Desktop to Another

in Windows 10 Support
    Move Windows from One Virtual Desktop to Another: This seems to be a tedious process of going to the task view, then finding the window and right clicking and sending it to another desktop. Is there something simpler? I was expecting a right click on the taskbar would give this option, but it does not. Is there a keyboard...