Windows 10: Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; OK, not really a life-saver but, good grief, you've saved me some very frustrating time! I think I must've accidentally dragged my Desktop folder up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ZaphodBeeblbrox, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10

OK, not really a life-saver but, good grief, you've saved me some very frustrating time!

I think I must've accidentally dragged my Desktop folder up one place into the Cookies folder in Explorer's folder pane view.

I couldn't understand why, for every folder on my Desktop, Explorer showed the address as:
    "C:\users\<name>\Cookies\Desktop\<foldername>" !

And all my attempts to access the Cookies folder in order to drag the Desktop out again were met with "Access Denied!", so I was, as the guy in "Notting Hill" said, "basically buggered".

Thanks again, Shawn. *chuckle

:)

ZaphodBeeblbrox, Jul 22, 2017

2. Downloads Folder has merged with The Desktop folder

I accidentaly moved the folder location of the Downloads folder to the location of the Desktop folder, now they are both have the same files, name, icon, and folder location.

If i try to move anything from the Downloads folder, it gets moved from the Desktop folder too and vice versa.

I have tried to Change the folder location of the Downloads folder back, but it changes the folder location of the Desktop too

Yosef Ahmed, Jul 22, 2017
  3. I want folders to open in the same spot on desktop each time I access them and keep same shape/size

Each time I open a folder on the desktop on my windows 10 laptop, I have to adjust the size of the view and move it to a new location on the desktop.

Why can't I save the space and location on the desktop?

The folder icon does stay in place.

Christine13-2018, Jul 22, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10

I'm glad it was able to help Zaphod. *Smile

Brink, Jul 22, 2017
  5. Works great and no need to manually change Registry Entries in
    Code: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folder[/quote] This also changes my explorer entries in "This PC" and "Quick Access".

Only one little thing:
    Nearly all new created target folders on D:\UserName\... get the matching icon automatically (like Music, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Downloads) but for "Desktop" the original yellow explorer folder icon remains on my new target folder D:\UserName\Desktop".

How can I change this one too?

WTenNewbie, Sep 12, 2017
  6. Never mind:

I have just deleted my manually created "Desktop" folder on the target drive and then moved it with the steps in your tutorial. I answered the question "target folder doesn't exist, create new?" with yes and voil , the icon appears as expected.

WTenNewbie, Sep 12, 2017
  7. adallas18 Win User
    Hey i accidentally changed my desktop to the secondary drive (D:\) how do i get it back to it's original path? *Sad

and...the original path is C:\Users\User\Desktop right? how do i switch it back to normal :s please help , please i just got a new computer for Christmas and i don't want it to mess up

adallas18, Dec 26, 2017
  8. essenbe Win User

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Move Location Desktop

2. Desktop folders Move function

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop folders Move function: Clicking in the title bar of any folder on the desktop shows a list of functions - Restore, Move, Size, Minimize etc. When I right click on the title bar and select Move, the Move icon appears but it's not clear what to then do with it to actually make the folder move....
  3. Cannot move Documents folder to new location

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move Documents folder to new location: Short version: I'm getting an error message when I attempt to move my Documents folder to a new location (same volume):The folder can't be moved here...The filename or extension is too long (see attachment). Longer version: I want to move my Documents, Videos, and Pictures...
  4. moving temp folder location

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    moving temp folder location: I moved my system and user temp folder locations in the belief it would save so many writes to my SSD, not sure if it was a good idea or not.. now have an error popup which mentions not being able to find the temp folder.....this could be because the partition i moved the...
  5. Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10: that great thank you for everything Brink *Smile*Smile*Smile 74966
  6. Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10: You can do this with Documents, Pictures, Downloads and Music as well. I always move my user folders to a secondary drive in case of disaster. 74955
  7. Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10: It worked like a charm. Thanks!*Cool 74942
  8. Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10: How do I make sure that the security permissions of the moved Documents folders are correct? I have a shared computer with an admin account and 2 user accounts. When I move the user's Documents to the new drive, it seems that the permissions are the default of the drive...
  9. Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10: There must be a way to switch from Captures to its parent folder which is Videos, via registry only in a reg or bat file, am I right, any chance to post it? I want to remove Captures folder permanently afterwards *Smile 87523
  10. Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10: Thanks for the helpful tutorial. I had done this on my previous W7 machine and then on my new W10 machine fine. On the W10 machine I created a new partition drive, L, and moved my user folders inside a folder with my name (Ruekberg) on it in that location (left programs and...