Windows 10: Move recovery drive to a separate partition

Discus and support Move recovery drive to a separate partition in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I created the USB recovery drive successfully with the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive". Since I needed the USB for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ranker, Mar 4, 2016.

1. ranker Win User

Move recovery drive to a separate partition

Hi,

I created the USB recovery drive successfully with the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive".
    Since I needed the USB for another purpose, I transferred the files from the USB to a separate partition on an external HDD and made this drive bootable using YUMI.

So now, on the same laptop, I am able to boot to this new partition on my external HDD where windows recovery environment comes up just fine. I did not want to test the reset or refresh part. Out of curiosity, I clicked on the "System Restore" option on the advanced options screen. I got an error message "To use system restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system and then select System Restore"
    This is on the same laptop. Any idea on what could be going on here and on how this can be fixed?

Thanks in advance.

:)

ranker, Mar 4, 2016
  2. mlg63 Win User

D Drive (back up)

D drive could be anything but it is most likely a partition on your hard drive--not a separate drive and not a drive for backups. Never use a partition on your single hard drive for backups. Think about it--when the hard drive fails the backups on it are
    useless. Buy an external hard drive for backups. To check--open Disk Management and look at the visual of the hard drive and other drives. A recovery partition should not be changed or used for anything. Once it is changed, the recovery file is useless.

mlg63, Mar 4, 2016
  3. Recovery partition in Win 8.1 after upgrade to Win 10.0

I have an HP Pavilion desktop running 64-bit Windows 8.1 with a 2-TB hard drive.

It has a separate Recovery Image partition (DMove recovery drive to a separate partition :).

My question is this. Will the existing recovery partition be destroyed after the upgrade to Windows 10, or will the upgrade preserve this partition?

Thank you

CodingMann, Mar 4, 2016
  4. ranker Win User

I got this to work. I had to change the boot mode to UEFI from legacy. On booting from my external HDD,
    the UEFI firmware recognized the windows boot manager on the new partition. System restore appears to be ok.
    "bcdedit /enum" command from the command window shows the correct values.

ranker, Mar 5, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    A much better option is to install Macrium Reflect Free and create an image backup to your external hard drive.

Then create an usb recovdry drive (can just create an iso instead and store on external hard drive if no spare usb stick or dvd).

Now here is the neat part. You can create a dual boot option which will boot to Macrium Restore environment even without a physical recovery drive (stiil need a physical drive if hdd fails).

Then you can full recover pc back to full working condition in about an hour or so.

I always make an image just after a clean install.

cereberus, Mar 5, 2016
  6. Download OST to PST Converter " OST to PST Converter - Convert OST Emails to Outlook PST File " easily gives you selective email backup facilities behalf of which you can restore emails one by one to convert into three existed formats like- EML, MSG and PST. OST to PST Converter Software easily recover extract and damaged data from OST file and convert OST data into Outlook files with recover calendars, appointments, contacts, distribution lists, tasks, journals etc.

CharlesZuniga01, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Move recovery drive to a separate partition - Similar Threads - Move recovery drive

2. Moving the Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving the Recovery Partition: HiI need to move the recovery partition to the left because I need free space at the end of the drive.Will moving this prevent "Windows Reset" from working in future? If so, how do I prevent this?...
  3. Moving the Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving the Recovery Partition: HiI need to move the recovery partition to the left because I need free space at the end of the drive.Will moving this prevent "Windows Reset" from working in future? If so, how do I prevent this?...
  4. Move C:\Recovery\* to Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move C:\Recovery\* to Recovery partition: Hi, I have the recovery partition but the recovery file are in the C: filesystem. I don't know if it uses the recovery partition but I would like to move from C: to the recovery partition to save some space. It's possible? 176302
  5. Moving a Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving a Recovery Partition: Hi! Is there any way for me to move the recovery partition whatsoever on Disk 0? I want to merge E: with the unallocated space on the other side of it but I can't because the partition is in the way.[ATTACH]...
  6. Move recovery partition - is it possible?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move recovery partition - is it possible?: I upgraded a couple days ago from a 250 GB HDD to a 500 GB SSD. I imaged the old drive using the Windows Image toolControl Panel -> System and Security -> Backup & Restore -> Create system image and then I restored the image to the new drive. The only problem is that it also...
  7. Recovery partitions not recovery DRIVE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery partitions not recovery DRIVE: I am working on a Toshiba laptop which my sister bought used with Win 8.0. The software was unfixable so I reinstalled 8.0 from a recovery drive I created with the Win 8.0 system. I then installed Win 8.1 from a microsoft store download and then installed Win 10 after...
  8. Move recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move recovery partition?: Just installed a new M.2 SSD into an MSI GE72 laptop running Windows 10. First used MSI's Burn Recovery tool to copy the recovery to a USB flash drive. Restored onto the SSD and wiped the HDD. The resulting partitions on the SSD are shown in the attached image. So I end up...
  9. Moving Windows installation to a separate partition

Moving Windows installation to a separate partition: How can I separate my Windows installation files and put them in a separate partition (And leave some room for updates if necessary), or instead leave it where it is, but move the rest to a separate one? Right now everything is on C:\ and I want the installation part to maybe...
  10. Data on separate partition or drive?

Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. back up system filesto a separate partition