Windows 10: Move system partition from unwanted OS (WinXP) to current OS (Win10)

Discus and support Move system partition from unwanted OS (WinXP) to current OS (Win10) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi TenForums! I am loving Windows 10 and I want to remove Windows XP from my dual-boot configuration (and remove the whole dual-boot thing completely)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Adam K, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Adam K Win User

Move system partition from unwanted OS (WinXP) to current OS (Win10)

Hi TenForums! I am loving Windows 10 and I want to remove Windows XP from my dual-boot configuration (and remove the whole dual-boot thing completely) but it also acts as the system partition, so I guess it's not as straight-forward as I had hoped. Is there a way to make my Windows 10 partition the system partition?

:)

Adam K, Aug 15, 2015
  2. Adam.Kay Win User

Hi! I currently have a dual boot setup with Windows XP and Windows 10. I am loving Windows 10 and I want to remove Windows XP from my dual-boot configuration (and remove the whole dual-boot thing completely)
    but it also acts as the system partition, so I guess it's not as straight-forward as I had hoped. Is there a way to make my Windows 10 partition the system partition?

Move system partition from unwanted OS (WinXP) to current OS (Win10) [​IMG]

Adam.Kay, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Adam.Kay Win User

I solved this by disconnecting the SATA cable to the HDD that had Windows XP on it. After booting up, The Windows 10 partition magically became the system partition.

After that, I switched the 2 SATA cables around and made the Windows 10 HDD disk 0 and the Windows XP HDD disk 1. From there, I was able to format that partition and remove Windows XP and the multi-boot completely.

Adam.Kay, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

Personally I would remove the disk and boot up. If it works just delete the partitions and you have a clean disk. If it don't boot repair it from the windows boot disk.

Thema:

1. Move system partition from unwanted OS (WinXP) to current OS (Win10) - Similar Threads - Move system partition

2. There is no System partition on the status of my OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    There is no System partition on the status of my OS: [ATTACH] Like on the picture, there is no System partition. How can I make the status as system? I can't restart this pc, please respond asap (please do tell me if the topic is wrong.)...
  3. move windows os from ssd to hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    move windows os from ssd to hdd: How to move windows os from ssd to hdd. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-windows-os-from-ssd-to-hdd/bb3498ed-d913-4da0-b429-c86bfcd6ad21
  4. Expanding OS partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Expanding OS partition: Disk Management shows my OS resided on a 223GB partition (C:) on an SSD that has 477GB. The SSD has these partitions: 102 MB Unallocated | OS (C:) 223 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) | 103 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition) | 253 GB...
  5. Moving my OS drive to backup system.

Moving my OS drive to backup system.: My current system is no longer usable. The PCI-E slot on it is malfunctioning and aside from just browsing the net I can't do anything lest the system either freezes or crushes. I have an old computer that works just fine as my backup system. I thought of moving my OS drive...
  6. Copy local GPO from Win8 OS to Win10 OS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Copy local GPO from Win8 OS to Win10 OS: Hi. We have some computers with Windows 8 installed in a public library for the public to use. They are locked down tight with local GPO and is not in a domain since they need only Internet access. We have now switched to Windows 10 as OS on new computers and I was wondering...
  7. win10 os

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 os: *sarc I am using win10 10586 and would like to know if this is the latest on the slow ring. 50534
  8. Move Windows OS to Mac

in Windows 10 Support
    Move Windows OS to Mac: Hi, I had Windows 7 on my HP laptop and then upgraded to Windows 10 and as the laptop is getting old I would be buying a Macbook Pro to replace it and just wondering as how I can move my Windows 10 OS to Mac and create a dual boot OS on Mac. Appreciate your detailed...
  9. Create a System Reserved Partition and keep original OS

Create a System Reserved Partition and keep original OS: Sometime ago I installed a second, larger SSD on a Dell XPS8700 but due to my lack of attention I reinstalled Win10 without a System Reserved Partition. By the time I realized what I had done, I had installed too many programs to start over and decided to just live with it....
  10. GPT for OS move?

GPT for OS move?: Problem: Can't use Refresh on my MBR boot drive because of UEFI/GPT restrictions. Alternative 1: It seems that none of the partition managers, commercial or Win-based will change the current C:\ MBR to GPT without wiping out the disk content. I have three partitions on the c:...