Windows 10: Move system partition to primary disk?

Discus and support Move system partition to primary disk? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I recently formatted my Windows 8.1 system and installed Windows 10. But it seems that the setup decided to set my System parition to a separate HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WhiteZero, Jan 25, 2016.

1. WhiteZero Win User

Move system partition to primary disk?

So I recently formatted my Windows 8.1 system and installed Windows 10. But it seems that the setup decided to set my System parition to a separate HDD (G: ) and put the bootmgr and all the boot files there, instead of using the left-over 350MB System Reserved partition on my primary SSD that Windows 8.1 had used. So of course now if I removed that disk, I wouldn't be able to boot anymore.

So what'll be the best way to move all of the boot files and system partition setting back to my old 350MB System Reserved partition? Will I need to disconnect all the other drives and do a repair install of Windows 10? Or can I manually move the files and partition settings over? The old partition is still marked as Active, so maybe I can just move all the Boot related files from G: to the 350MB partition and it'll just work? Maybe mark G: as INACTIVE too

Here is what my Disk Management looks like.
    https://i.imgur.com/xX0RsYh.png

Move system partition to primary disk? [​IMG]

:)

WhiteZero, Jan 25, 2016

2. WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE COULDNT UPDATE THE SYSTEM RESERVED PARTITION

I am unclear about all of this.

What is the 100MB Data partition for?

It says: Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition),

while the C: says: Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Your link was about moving the Boot to C:

Thanks!

Silver Litz, Jan 25, 2016
  3. how to disable ubuntu in dual boot..

Hi

Thanks for the responses.

Did you face any error message ?

Are you trying to format the primary partition (system partition) or the other partition?

If you are trying to delete the system partition you are not able to delete that partition because this is the primary

partition through which you can access your operating system.

Thanks

Mayank Chadha, Jan 25, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Changing the Boot Partition

EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Scroll down to the register button. Click register. You don't have to enter a name or email address, just click download.

Judging from the screenshot you posted, though, the system should be booting from the 350mb partition on the SSD that is already there. Which physical drive is bios set to boot from?

NavyLCDR, Jan 25, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    An easy way to sort this is to download windows 10 version iso from here and create a bootable usb flash drive using rufus.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Then make sure bios is set to boot from usb first.

Temporarily disconnect all drives, except the ssd.

Boot from the usb drive, and run Macrium Reflect

When Macrium Reflect runs, select the restore tab, and click 'fix windows boot problems', and it will list the windows 10 on the ssd. Then click next, finish and the boot sectors will be rebuilt on ssd.

Reboot pc to check it is now working, and then reconnect other drives thereafter.

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  6. WhiteZero Win User
    Nope, the 350MB partition was a leftover from my Windows 8.1 install. After installing 10, it was totally empty. The boot loader files went onto my G: drive (seperate HDD). I think my boot order had the SSD first and the next one was probably the HDD with G:. So the Win10 installer in all its wisdom put the bootloader on G:

Also, EasyBCD would not load on my system, for some odd reason, even with Run as Administrator; the exe would show up in task manager for a second then go away.

Anyway, before I saw any replies here, I started on my own by marking the old 350MB partition as active and attempted to copy the boot files over from the G: drive, but the BCD file was locked out and could not copy. I attempted to reboot into Macrium Reflect to use its file explorer to copy the files from there, but then my system would not let me get into BIOS (a separate issue I've been struggling with). So after troubleshooting around that, I went to copy the files but they all seemed to be missing now.

Eventually, after some reading around, I booted into my Windows 10 install USB, went into Repair, and used the command prompt to use bcdboot and setup the 350MB partition as my bootloader drive. Worked great! Set my G: dive as Inactive in Diskpart too.

Good ol built-in Microsoft commands win over the 3rd party apps today, my friends! *Cool

WhiteZero, Jan 26, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Every now and then the underdog does win - but not very often.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Move system partition to primary disk? - Similar Threads - Move system partition

2. How do I move the boot partition to the primary disk?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I move the boot partition to the primary disk?: I'm trying to figure out how to move System Reserved to from Disk 1 to Disk 0. I was able to shrink the C: drive by 500MB creating unallocated space, but I cannot seem to figure out how to move the partition. I've attempted using AOMEI, but when I select Resize/Move Partition...
  3. How do I move the boot partition to the primary disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move the boot partition to the primary disk?: I'm trying to figure out how to move System Reserved to from Disk 1 to Disk 0. I was able to shrink the C: drive by 500MB creating unallocated space, but I cannot seem to figure out how to move the partition. I've attempted using AOMEI, but when I select Resize/Move Partition...
  4. How do I move the boot partition to the primary disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1: I want to update my windows to windows 11 from windows 10. To do this I need to use the mbr2gpt tool, but I have an error because my c drive is on an ssd drive 1 and my system reserved partition boot files is on the hdd which is on drive 0 . I tried to use bcdboot to move the...
  6. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1: I want to update my windows to windows 11 from windows 10. To do this I need to use the mbr2gpt tool, but I have an error because my c drive is on an ssd drive 1 and my system reserved partition boot files is on the hdd which is on drive 0 . I tried to use bcdboot to move the...
  7. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Delete hard disk primary partition

Delete hard disk primary partition: My pc was processing too slow, so I decide to upgrade the window 10 32bits to 64bits. The installer require an external storage which I decided to use my 500GB hard disk, during installation the system made a partition of about 30GB for the iso file. After the installation I...
  9. Delete hard disk primary partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete hard disk primary partition: My pc was processing too slow, so I decide to upgrade the window 10 32bits to 64bits. The installer require an external storage which I decided to use my 500GB hard disk, during installation the system made a partition of about 30GB for the iso file. After the installation I...
  10. Recovery Partition in the same Disk with the Primary Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery Partition in the same Disk with the Primary Partition: Hi... I noticed that my Recovery Partition is in the same Disk with my Primary Partition. is it gonna cause me a problem if i try to reset my laptop? I think it was supposed to be in a different Disk Partition. . [ATTACH]...