Windows 10: Move W10 MBR OS to GPT OS without re-installing windows

Discus and support Move W10 MBR OS to GPT OS without re-installing windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi folks Following on from the previous thread in this section there is a way to move an MBR installation to a UEFI W10 installation without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Aug 23, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Move W10 MBR OS to GPT OS without re-installing windows

Hi folks

Following on from the previous thread in this section there is a way to move an MBR installation to a UEFI W10 installation without re-installing windows.

1) Get KYHI's recovery disk -- it's free and has all required programs on it as well as a load of other "goodies" on it.

2) Use rufus to create a bootable USB from the ISO -- you can use a DVD if you burned one but whoever uses those any more !!

2) restore as is your BIOS / MBR W10 installation to a non GPT disk on the target system.

3) boot the recovery disk (KYHI) --

Now follow the instructions on this link.

How to Migrate OS from MBR Disk to GPT Disk - EaseUS

Hope this saves some people hassle and time.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 23, 2018

2. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

So

I've got a new PC coming and this time it's the first time I will be using UEFI, i have read all the big stuff but I don't have the hardware yet so It's still kind of half baked but I'll do dig deep into it once I start building in the coming days.

I've read the win7 install guides, MS GPT FAQs (not fully yet), etc,

But I wish to know if:

I can use UEFI as an upgraded bios without having to use GPT disk format?

GPT disks can have any sort of partition cloning for full operational OS backup ?

Will GPT format improve performance on SDD or improve reliability in terms of data integrity or error rate?

When isntalling win7 with MBR but using UEFI, will it work normally without needing to uefi-boot the window7 install?

If I cannot backup my OS in a 100% clone that will boot normally when recovered, i will probably not use GPT, that shit is a step backward.

RuskiSnajper, Aug 23, 2018
  3. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

If I have UEFI BIOS, I'm going to use GPT. Only reason why I wouldn't is because the drive is shared between new and old computers (MBR has broader compatibility support). I wrote a guide how to install Windows on GPT here:
    Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

No. Either you install on GPT via EFI boot or you intall MBR via BIOS boot. You can't install Windows and change it later.

Not only does GPT support booting to partitions larger than 2 TB, it also means the computer is booted using EFI which means it has a lot more memory to work with during startup. It should theoretically mean startup is quicker on EFI/GPT than BIOS/MBR.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 23, 2018
  4. Move W10 MBR OS to GPT OS without re-installing windows

GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

So I cannot use all the new bios UI and fancy pre-boot evironiment if i don't use UEFI-boot ? With or without GPT?

I just want to use the UEFI without GPT: so can I UEFI-boot and install win7 with MBR?

Now I actually asked the correct question I wanted. Sorry it took time to figure out.

RuskiSnajper, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

Move W10 MBR OS to GPT OS without re-installing windows

1. Move W10 MBR OS to GPT OS without re-installing windows - Similar Threads - Move W10 MBR

2. Need to move OS without moving games to a ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need to move OS without moving games to a ssd: I need to move the operating system from my hdd to my ssd but I don’t want to move any of my games as my ssd is only 500 gigs, so only windows 10 but I have no idea how to do it if anyone has an idea or has done it before than plz help me, my ssd is sata and already has some...
  3. Moving OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving OS: How do i move operating system to ssd without losing data and all other programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-os/c384689b-02b0-41bd-b490-1bc38c94c925
  4. Move the OS

Move the OS: I have upgraded my notebook by adding a M.2 SSD. How to move the OS from HDD to SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-the-os/31229331-1425-4fb8-b6ca-74091718452e
  5. new installation gpt not mbr

in Windows 10 Customization
    new installation gpt not mbr: I have assembled a new desktop computer that has eufi bios. My existing computer on which I am writing this question is a Legacy bios how do I get a win10 installed on the new one, as the "Media Creation Tool" copy won't work. Thanks Keith...
  6. Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks: I'm trying to convert my MBR partition (which is on an HDD) to a GPT-based boot record, but my OS install is on an SSD (i.e. a different drive than the MBR). I'm not exactly sure how this happened when I was installing Windows; I think the HDD was set as disk 0 while the SSD...
  7. Problem with W10 Install - EFI,GPT,MBR Issue

Problem with W10 Install - EFI,GPT,MBR Issue: trying to install windows 10 on a laptop that previously had w7 i booted off the usb created by the media creation tool wiped the partition that i wanted to install w10 on and then..... got the attached error stated I cannot install w10 on this never seen this before and...
  8. Re-Installation of Original OS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-Installation of Original OS: I bought Windows 10 pro original OS and installed in my computer recently I am facing some problems. So that I wanted to re-install the OS. I lost my original CD but I have Product ID 00330-71312-22123-AAOEM. Can I use the same product ID for the re-installation in the same...
  9. How to convert Windows 10 GPT disk to MBR with re-install?

How to convert Windows 10 GPT disk to MBR with re-install?: Hello friends, My current config: Laptop = HP Pavilion sleekbook 14 BIOS = UEFI HDD = 500GB with GPT style OS = Windows 10 I want to rebuild it with MBR partition style (for experimental reasons) and took complete backup in external drive so I do NOT need to...
  10. GPT for OS move?

GPT for OS move?: Problem: Can't use Refresh on my MBR boot drive because of UEFI/GPT restrictions. Alternative 1: It seems that none of the partition managers, commercial or Win-based will change the current C:\ MBR to GPT without wiping out the disk content. I have three partitions on the c:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mbr to gpt without reinstalling os