Windows 10: Moved Default User Folders With Location Tab, But Settings is Unchange

Discus and support Moved Default User Folders With Location Tab, But Settings is Unchange in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Peace on earth, goodwill towards all. *Smile I moved my default user folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, Video) from C to a different partition by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bulldog, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Bulldog Win User

Moved Default User Folders With Location Tab, But Settings is Unchange

Peace on earth, goodwill towards all. *Smile

I moved my default user folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, Video) from C to a different partition by using the Location tab. This successfully moved the folders and their contents to the new partition.

I can see the folders and contents in the new partition. The folders no longer exist on C and %USERPROFILE% points to the new partition.

And yet, when I go into Settings > System > Storage I see "New documents will save to This PC (C*Smile" and the same for the other folders.

Obviously, I want those folders to be on the new partition. How do I make Settings understand that I already moved these folders with the Location tab?

:)

Bulldog, Dec 24, 2016

2. Cannot change default save location to local drive.

The Pictures folder's location is already set to the default.

On the Documents folder, when I try to "Restore Default" location, it first asks me if I would like to move the contents. Regardless of what option I choose at this message box I'm greeted with "Access Denied."

Windows 10 Pro, the user is an Administrator.

Thanks for the reply!

John Marklund, Dec 24, 2016
  3. David Haz Win User
    I want to use a SSD for programs and a HD for Documents using Windows 10. How do I set up my computer to do this?

Hi James,

You may move the User folders to another location by following the steps below:

• Right-click on the folder that you want to move.
    • Click Properties.
    • On the Location tab, select Move.
    • Choose the new location.
    • Allow it to create a folder of that name there or do it yourself.
    • Agree to have it move the existing files to the location that you have set.
    Note: If you want the folder to return to its default location, you may click on the
    Restore Default button.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask us.

Regards.

David Haz, Dec 24, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Take the drop down arrow next to the save location and choose the drive you want them to be on.

spunk, Dec 24, 2016
  5. Bulldog Win User
    I'm sorry, you haven't answered my question.

Bulldog, Dec 24, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    You have it set up right. Mine works exactly right.

Rocky, Dec 24, 2016
  7. Bulldog Win User
    Thank you. Everything seems to be working exactly as it should, regardless of what the Settings app says.

Bulldog, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moved Default User Folders With Location Tab, But Settings is Unchange - Similar Threads - Moved Default User

2. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  3. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  4. 3D objects in Users folder have no location tab

in Windows 10 Support
    3D objects in Users folder have no location tab: I've created folders on an H: partition (on another HDD) and "moved" where most of my User data will reside, but 3 remain. 3D Objects is still in Users on C: but has no location tab, so I can't point it anywhere. Favorites folder has no location tab and after attempting to...
  5. 3 objects in Users folder have no location tab

in Windows 10 Support
    3 objects in Users folder have no location tab: I've created folders on an H: partition (on another HDD) and "moved" where most of my User data will reside, but 3 remain. 3D Objects is still in Users on C: but has no location tab, so I can't point it anywhere. Favorites folder has no location tab and after attempting to...
  6. Default Save Location and Location Tab

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Save Location and Location Tab: Default Save Location allows you to change which drive information is store on. But there is already a Location tab in folder properties to do that. You may need to streamline the default save location so you can do the same thing in Control Panel....
  7. Restoring Default User Folder Locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restoring Default User Folder Locations: Hello. A couple weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows and all my folders are in particular locations across multiple drives. Now, while I was configuring the location of my Downloads folder while formatting my backup/downloads HDD (Seagate BarraCuda), I had temporarily...
  8. Changing default folder locations for Public users

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default folder locations for Public users: I've upgraded two machines going from a single 1T hard drive to a SSD and a 1T hard drive for data. I was able to change the default user file locations for docs, pics, music, video, and download. When I went to do the same for the public user, I was not allowed to change the...
  9. User Folder - Move Location drive replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User Folder - Move Location drive replacement: I used the tutorial to move my user folders to a spare, second drive in my laptop. Now I'm thinking about changing it from a spinner to an SSD and I'm wondering what steps I should be considering, before I make that swap, to preserve my user folders and migrate it to a second...
  10. Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10: How to: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 How to Move Users Folder to another Location in Windows 10 [img] Information The method described in this tutorial allows relocating Windows 10 main profile folder Users including all present and future user profiles...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 decided to just move all the userdata folders to external hard drive and changed the default location to d:\userdata