Windows 10: Moved document folder location and now name is incorrect

Discus and support Moved document folder location and now name is incorrect in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I moved the location of my 'Documents' folder from the C drive to the root of my D drive in error. What I meant to do was move it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by endlessproof, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Moved document folder location and now name is incorrect

Hi,

I moved the location of my 'Documents' folder from the C drive to the root of my D drive in error. What I meant to do was move it to D:\Documents.

I have managed to restore the original location back to the C drive, and clicking on Documents under the user heading in file explorer takes me to the folder's location on the C drive. However, when I look under the This PC heading in explorer, the documents folder name is showing as D:\

If I right click the Documents folder under the user heading and click pin to quick access, it also shows the name as D:\

Any ideas on how to prevent this? I realise it is only cosmetic, but it does make things confusing, as the folder is no longer stored on the D drive at all!

Thanks,

Matt

:)

endlessproof, Apr 24, 2017
  2. KLovko Win User

This PC system folders nested - irreversible (Windows 10)

I was moving system folders from their original location (C:\Users\username) to folders I created on D drive, everytime choosing to move the files inside along with the folder. At last I moved the Desktop folder to D:\Documents\Desktop, and suddenly all
    the files from the Documents folder appeared on the desktop. Now my ThisPC list has four folders named Documents but the icons are still different (Documents icon, Music icon, Videos icon and Pictures icon). Everything I put in any of these folders also appears
    on the desktop.

If I try to move any of this folder to its default location, I see the Documents icon at the top of the Location window and clicking the default location button gives back this path: C:\Users\username\Documents.

Is there any way to restore system folder names and corresponding folder locations? Maybe through regedit?

KLovko, Apr 24, 2017
  3. Windows 10 fax and scan can not access the documents folder

I found none of these suggestions worked but found another way to fix it.

Open "File Explorer"

right click "Documents"

click "Properties"

click "Location"tab

click "Move"

double click "This PC"

double click "C:\"

make new folder and name it Documents

select this folder "Documents"

this should take a short time to move the documents folder

the location should now look like C:\Documents

Now Windows Fax and Scan will work.

Geoff ALLAN, Apr 24, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Moved document folder location and now name is incorrect

Open File Explorer. On the Left Panel under This PC, right click the Documents Directory and choose Properties. Click the Location Tab. Click the Move button. Browse it to where you want to move it to. Apply and OK. Click the Find Target to make sure it goes to the right place.

spunk, Apr 25, 2017
  5. If you cancelled while moving files are in progress, that's normal, you have you files in to partitions. What is your OS version, for older versions read this article, I hope this will help you.

donvito111, May 4, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    +1 DonVito111; such has happened to me whenever explorer.exe's operations are interrupted by man or machine. Going forward, please have recent, restorable, backups of your OS and Data partitions on external media, just in case. Actually, a routine backup process is a great idea.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Moved document folder location and now name is incorrect

1. Moved document folder location and now name is incorrect - Similar Threads - Moved document folder

2. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  3. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  4. Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...: At first, I accidentally moved the Documents folder to the root drive folder E:/ and I moved it back by restoring registry files to their defaults.Now I correctly made a Documents folder E:/Documents and moved the folder there. However, while I can access the folder from the...
  5. Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...: At first, I accidentally moved the Documents folder to the root drive folder E:/ and I moved it back by restoring registry files to their defaults.Now I correctly made a Documents folder E:/Documents and moved the folder there. However, while I can access the folder from the...
  6. HELP! Documents folder is now named D drive after moving --- how do I restore the name to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HELP! Documents folder is now named D drive after moving --- how do I restore the name to...: I moved my Documents folder to the D drive but made a mistake when naming it. Now it is called D:\HOW can I change the name back to to Documents without any disruption? Some of my media editing files rely on pathway to link all media elements. THXXXX...
  7. User Folder Name Incorrect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder Name Incorrect: Hi all, I know that other posts exist about this problem, but they all seem fairly old so I'm hoping there's a newer (more reliable) solution. I registered my Windows 10 Home Laptop with my pre-existing user account. My name is right in the settings, but for some reason,...
  8. Moving the documents folder to another drive but now duplicated

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving the documents folder to another drive but now duplicated: My first post - I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post in, apologies if wrong! After cloning and fitting an SSD (960GB) to my pc, I wanted to free some space up so followed the tutorial from here to move the documents folder to an empty drive (it's 400+GB in...
  9. Cannot move Documents folder to new location

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move Documents folder to new location: Short version: I'm getting an error message when I attempt to move my Documents folder to a new location (same volume):The folder can't be moved here...The filename or extension is too long (see attachment). Longer version: I want to move my Documents, Videos, and Pictures...
  10. Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Documents Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Documents folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in...