Windows 10: Moved Documents folder to enter drive, not folder. Can't restore.

Discus and support Moved Documents folder to enter drive, not folder. Can't restore. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I did a fresh install of Win10 on an SSD and was in the process of moving the Documents folder to a separate HDD (F drive) using the 'Move to' option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tbotello, Jul 31, 2016.

1. tbotello Win User

Moved Documents folder to enter drive, not folder. Can't restore.

I did a fresh install of Win10 on an SSD and was in the process of moving the Documents folder to a separate HDD (F drive) using the 'Move to' option but I selected just the F: drive instead of a new Documents folder. When I tried to move again to the Documents folder on the F: drive, it said "invalid file path". When I tried to restore back to default location (in users folder), it stated "access denied". When I go to my user folder now, it looks like below, instead of a "documents" folder, the F: drive appears. How can I change from the documents being the entire F: drive to a folder on the F: drive? Thanks to all in advance.

Moved Documents folder to enter drive, not folder. Can't restore. [​IMG]

:)

tbotello, Jul 31, 2016
  2. Vessko Win User

Moved the Vidoes folder in the wrong location

Hello,

so my Videos folder was by default at "C:\Users\MyUsername\Videos".

Since my C Drive is a SSD I wanted to move the folder to my D drive. so I right-clicked, then on Properties, then on Location and from there on "Move...".

Foolishly enough I entered as a path just "D:\" hoping it will create the Videos folder there, so now the Videos folder is named D:\ (entering this folder is the same as entering my D drive) and I can't get it to move again.

Trying to move it to "D:\Videos" says I can't move a parent into a child folder so I can't really move it in any other place on D.

Trying to move it back to "C:\Users\MyUsername\Videos" or anywhere else on C:\ gets me the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under 'D:\System Volume Information'. Access denied." so now I am stuck with this location.

To note, around 1 Year ago, I made the same mistake with my Documents folder where it just went to D:\ but after some restarts and whatnot (no reinstalling or system restore) it now is properly on "D:\Documents" but I can't remember how I fixed that.

I hope someone can help me out on this problem I have.

Looking forward to any help/advice you could provide.

Thank you in advance!

Vessko, Jul 31, 2016
  3. SERware Win User
    Unable to change Documents location after latest Fall Creators Update

I had the same problem "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location...", and I have solved it by changing the addresses in the registry as explained in Cannot restore Documents folder to Default Location of C Drive

SERware, Jul 31, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 31, 2016
  5. tbotello Win User
    That appears to have done it! Thank you very much!

tbotello, Jul 31, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm glad it could help. *Party

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Moved Documents folder to enter drive, not folder. Can't restore. - Similar Threads - Moved Documents folder

2. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  3. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  4. Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...: At first, I accidentally moved the Documents folder to the root drive folder E:/ and I moved it back by restoring registry files to their defaults.Now I correctly made a Documents folder E:/Documents and moved the folder there. However, while I can access the folder from the...
  5. Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...

Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...: At first, I accidentally moved the Documents folder to the root drive folder E:/ and I moved it back by restoring registry files to their defaults.Now I correctly made a Documents folder E:/Documents and moved the folder there. However, while I can access the folder from the...
  6. Incorrectly moved Documents folder & can't figure out how to restore it to the original...

Incorrectly moved Documents folder & can't figure out how to restore it to the original...: Hello,A few weeks ago I moved my Pictures and Videos folder to a hard drive to remove anything form the C: drive that isn't for the Windows OS. I partitioned only 120 gigs for the OS and everything else is on a separate partition or separate hard drive. I wanted to clean up...
  7. Can't move Downloads folder to folder in hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move Downloads folder to folder in hard drive: I have my Downloads folder in my SSD but I wan't to move it to a custom folder in my hard drive but when i do, i get this message: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-move-downloads-folder-to-folder-in-hard-drive/949fe106-307d-4f90-9eb6-65281aa45fdb
  8. Can't move Downloads folder to folder in hard drive

Can't move Downloads folder to folder in hard drive: I have my Downloads folder in my SSD but I wan't to move it to a custom folder in my hard drive but when i do, i get this message: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-move-downloads-folder-to-folder-in-hard-drive/949fe106-307d-4f90-9eb6-65281aa45fdb
  9. Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive: I have not been able to move my documents folder from my C drive, which is a solid state drive, to my D drive, which is a regular hard drive. I've tried going into the folder properties and changing the location, but it doesn't move. I do not have One Drive installed on my...
  10. Can't move my Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't move my Documents folder.: I've been trying to free up some disk space recently and start moving my folders to my D drive. I've already disabled Onedrive so I moved Desktop, Downloads, Music and Videos. When I tried to move Documents and Pictures however, an error message appeared saying: "Can't move...