Windows 10: Moved ext data drive (XP machine) to new computer (win 10) Owner Issue

Discus and support Moved ext data drive (XP machine) to new computer (win 10) Owner Issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello from a new member and new win 10 user. I had an XP machine that died and replaced it with a new Win 10 pro machine. I moved the old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MBF, Oct 21, 2016.

1. MBF
    MBF Win User

Moved ext data drive (XP machine) to new computer (win 10) Owner Issue

Hello from a new member and new win 10 user.

I had an XP machine that died and replaced it with a new Win 10 pro machine.

I moved the old external data drive to my new computer and now have had lots of "you're not the owner" and "contact the administrator or owner" issues. I often get "you require permission from DESKTOP XXXXXXX" messages.

The big issue is that I can't even open my password saver program with all my passwords.

I have tried for weeks to search the web for a simple solution. No Joy.

We have tried the "Properties/security/ blah blah blah " fixes with no success.

Also tried applications such as "Take Ownership."

It seems lots of folks have similar problems, but I can't find the magic bullet.

I'm very sorry to ask the same old question, but we're at our wits end here.

I'm obviously not a network administrator or win 10 expert, but I can read and follow instructions so please help this old farmer.

As someone once said: "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, You're my only hope." *Confused

Thanks in advance folks,

Ken

:)

2. Windows 10 format failure on external USB HDD

I have an external USB HDD using a SATA/IDC drive interface to USB. Drive is a known working Seagate Barracuda 500 Gb drive. Been using it for quite a while after originally formatting to NTFS it on an XP machine. Had been able to read the data on it,
    both on the XP machine and on a new Windows 10 machine.

Decided to wipe the entire drive and reformat it still as NTFS but from the Win 10 machine. Seemed ok, and loaded a bunch of files on it from the main data drive on that machine.

Removed the drive, and plugged into the old XP machine, but that now complains the drive must be formatted before use.

Put it back in the Win 10 machine, and it works fine, showing all the data.

Back in the XP machine, same problem.

So reformatted it again using the XP machine, put some data on it, and reads perfectly in the Win 10 machine - wrote some more data on it from there, and that too reads ok on the XP machine.

Repeated that cycle a couple of times, but the drive refuses be read in the XP machine when formatted on the Win 10 machine. What gives ?

Do I need to reserve an ancient XP machine just so I can format a drive and have it work across a couple of machines ???

AdrianJansenEW, Oct 21, 2016
  3. move outlook express info from Win xp to win 10 mail

I want to move files associated with outlook express on win-xp machine (addresses, emails, folders. etc.) to my new machine running win-10.

Have saved files off the outlook express folder on xp machine onto a flash drive but the importing into the new machine is less than plain to me.

Carol L101, Oct 21, 2016
Thema:

Moved ext data drive (XP machine) to new computer (win 10) Owner Issue

1. Moved ext data drive (XP machine) to new computer (win 10) Owner Issue - Similar Threads - Moved ext data

2. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving win 10 to a new drive: Hi Currently i have my windows and apps / data stored on the c drive as standard installationi am looking to move the OS to a new drive and keep the existing apps, programs, docs emails etc on the existing drive which i guess will need to be assigned a new drive letterWhat is...
  3. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving win 10 to a new drive: Hi Currently i have my windows and apps / data stored on the c drive as standard installationi am looking to move the OS to a new drive and keep the existing apps, programs, docs emails etc on the existing drive which i guess will need to be assigned a new drive letterWhat is...
  4. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. .: Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. Is there an ap I can download that will tell me which software will work on 11, and which will not? I'd rather know ahead of time....
  6. Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine: I'm up to 3 attempts at installing an XP machine on Hyper V (Windows 10 Pro), and though I can get the machine to run, I cannot find the browser I installed. Using the Hyper V tutorial, I followed carefully the points of unblocking both WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe and Opera's...
  7. Moving Data to New Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Moving Data to New Drive: I bought a new laptop that had a 256GB SSD and added a 500GB HDD as the data drive. Now, on occasion, I'm hearing a slight metallic clicking sound. (I believe it may be the HDD) Not wanting to take the chance of losing a bunch of data, I want to move it to another HDD that I...
  8. Move data drive from old computer into new

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move data drive from old computer into new: I am running a 2007 vintage self-built PC with a separate data drive (1tb hdd) and OS/program drive (SSD). I want to move the data hdd into a new computer I've built. Is it just as simple as unplugging/ dismounting from old and installing in new? Any advice is appreciated,...
  9. Win 10 refuses to see XP machine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 refuses to see XP machine: I just hooked up a new windows 10 computer. I have a bunch of stuff stored on my XP computer that also shares the parallel printer with a Windows 7 computer and I planned to share it with the Windows 10 computer. The XP computer is called slickswintel and has a static IP...
  10. Moving Win 10 to a new machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Win 10 to a new machine: Hi, I have a question regarding installation of the Win 10 when I purchase new machine. I have older laptop (Sony) that I bought with Win 7 on it. I didn't get the disk, the OS was pre-installed. Last year I upgraded to Win 10 normally, but now I want to purchase new laptop...