Windows 10: Moved files gone missing

Discus and support Moved files gone missing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I got a new laptop today which came with Windows 10 which I've never used before, so everything's still very new to me. I've been trying to move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Adze95, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Adze95 Win User

Moved files gone missing

I got a new laptop today which came with Windows 10 which I've never used before, so everything's still very new to me.

I've been trying to move files off my previous laptop which runs Windows 7. I've spent a few hours collecting everything I need onto an ext. hard drive, but once I cut & paste my files onto this new laptop, nothing shows up. The destination folder is completely empty, and I made sure while the files were copying over.

Is there anywhere else they might have gone? Luckily I was able to ctrl+z to get all my files back or else they would've been gone forever. But this time all the files reappear in the ext hard drive like they were meant to, so I'm really confused. Is it a problem with Windows, or my external?

I've also noticed that the files copy over just fine if I send them bit by bit, say, about 3GB each time? But I've got 400+GB sitting around here. Is there anything else I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

:)

Adze95, Dec 24, 2015

2. Missing files after My computer automatically upgraded to windows 10.

Computer automatically upgraded to Win 10. Files were missing. Found them in windows.old and move them to This PC. System forced an update and restart. Now files in the documents folder are gone. The files in pictures folder are there.

SteveMalsch, Dec 24, 2015
  3. Pictures Folder moved gone wrong

Hi Dave

Fixed!!!

I went to the Registry (did a backup just in case!)

Compared it side by side with my other laptop and in the path you told me earlier .....User Shell Folders, there were some 3 or 4 odd entries that weren't in the other laptop. So I deleted them, restarted and
    all is restored!

I'm going to attempt the move again. Fingers crossed

Thank you SO much for your help.

JenDingbat, Dec 24, 2015
  4. caperjack Win User

Moved files gone missing

all I can say is never cut and past ,always copy and past ,and I would do smaller chunks ,better safe than sorry

caperjack, Dec 24, 2015
  5. kingstonian, Dec 24, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    For large copy operations you might like to explore Teracopy (free).
    TeraCopy for Microsoft Windows - Code Sector

"TeraCopy is designed to copy and move files at the maximum possible speed. It skips bad files during the copying process, and then displays them at the end of the transfer so that you can see which ones need attention."

Can't think why the files have not been copied successfully, unless there's some corruption somewhere.

It's always safer to copy than move in such circumstances, then delete later.

dalchina, Dec 25, 2015
  7. Whatphoeb Win User
    Instead of Cutting and Pasting, try Copying and Pasting. Or dragging and dropping.

Whatphoeb, Dec 25, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Moved files gone missing

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Moved files gone missing

1. Moved files gone missing - Similar Threads - Moved files gone

2. My files been moved to OneDrive and its gone?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My files been moved to OneDrive and its gone?: I have a folder which contains my personal file for work/school which I left on my desktop locally. I needed something so I open it up today and found out that all of them have been move to OneDrive? Each pdf I opened up look like this. What do i do to get my files back?...
  3. My files been moved to OneDrive and its gone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My files been moved to OneDrive and its gone?: I have a folder which contains my personal file for work/school which I left on my desktop locally. I needed something so I open it up today and found out that all of them have been move to OneDrive? Each pdf I opened up look like this. What do i do to get my files back?...
  4. My files been moved to OneDrive and its gone?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Folder Gone Missing

Folder Gone Missing: This morning when I booted up my computer, it got stuck on the "Preparing Windows" phase of the boot-up for almost 10 minutes. I did a hard restart of my computer and that seemed to get it to boot up properly the second time around, but when I signed in, it was like I was...
  6. Tabs gone missing

Tabs gone missing: Hi, The tabs on some of the programs sometime is gone sometimes Explorer, Office apps, and Chrome. This happens to me many times already, on my desktop and also Surface Book 2. See below example happening to Chrome: [ATTACH] If I click on anything on the missing...
  7. WinRAR moved or missing files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WinRAR moved or missing files: I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this, but here goes nothing. I recently downloaded the zip file for the SCP Unity Remake. It took two hours to download, and I don't really want to sit through it again. I extracted the files with WinRAR and it worked...
  8. Exe files gone missing

Exe files gone missing: so my pc ran into a problem , i had to fix it with system restore . at first everything seems normal and i saw my desktop without any icons in it except the preinstalled apps , then i checked my files installed ... ALL the files is fine EXCEPT ALL OF MY EXE FILES ARE GONE...
  9. Files gone missing from Desktop???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files gone missing from Desktop???: I have a folder structure sitting in my desktop directory that contains about 40 sub directories, one for each of my past clients. Within each of these sub-directories there are other sub-directories. A few days ago I went into one of these sub-directories and found that...
  10. Files just gone Missing..

Files just gone Missing..: I had a bunch of softwares nearly 60GB which has now just gone missing, the space is still occupied by the files, But the parent folder is just not visible. It's not hidden I have checked that and I even ran a recovery software to check for lost files and it just didn't find...