Windows 10: Moving an SSD holding a dual boot Win10 & Linux to another PC

Discus and support Moving an SSD holding a dual boot Win10 & Linux to another PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a netbook with an SSD dual booting a copy of Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 and Xubuntu. The netbook has totally died, becoming unusable and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by makem, Apr 16, 2017.

1. makem Win User

Moving an SSD holding a dual boot Win10 & Linux to another PC

I had a netbook with an SSD dual booting a copy of Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 and Xubuntu. The netbook has totally died, becoming unusable and I am building a new desktop PC for my g/son. I know it it fairly easy to move the Xubuntu and that Windows can also be moved but is more difficult due to being tied to the hardware and drivers. G/son wants Windows for games only available on that OS. I have some knowledge of cloning and or installing operating systems but have never tried this. I think once installed in the new PC it may well boot into Xubuntu but may be wrong. I could also use a USB copy of Xubuntu I have to make changes if needed. I would be happy to reinstall Windows over all but how would I fare using a copy upgraded on another machine? I have a vague feeling at some stage I received a key during the upgrade procedure but not sure and no idea where it is. Is there any guidance available to assist?

:)

makem, Apr 16, 2017

2. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Back in the day I updated to Win10 by adding another SSD into my machine and created a dual boot when I "upgraded" from Win7. The other day my Win10 installation when belly up and I had to do a reinstall which has wiped out my dual boot. How do I tell Win10
    that my D:\ is my Win7 installation and crate a dual boot?

BryanDeVries, Apr 16, 2017
  3. kjl1956 Win User
    How do I set my new SSD as the only Boot/System drive?

Was the ssd on the system when you did the win10 upgrade ?

If yes then that drive may contain the windows partitions and boot loader.

If not and you did a clean install of win10 to the ssd but still had the old

win7 drive as the boot drive, then the win10 bootloader could have been installed

to that drive, this depends on the boot chain order in the bios on what drive loads

first.

The way I would have done this is clone the win10 to the new ssd, then do a clean install on

the ssd drive.

Pulling drives from the pc and swapping them for a different operating system works

if you are not mixing the same type of os or upgrade and for microsoft windows it

depends on the licences.

But to boot say linux and windows without a dual boot system you have to configure each os on

its own boot drive then swap out when needed.

How did you upgrade win10? from dvd or bootable usb or in place upgrade.

Uefi bios are a little more involved than the older legacy bios.

Note; if you remove the win7 drive, put the ssd as the first boot drive,

if it does not boot, then the boot loader is on the win7 drive.

Do you see an option to boot win7 and win10 when the pc loads.

kjl1956, Apr 16, 2017
Thema:

Moving an SSD holding a dual boot Win10 & Linux to another PC

1. Moving an SSD holding a dual boot Win10 & Linux to another PC - Similar Threads - Moving SSD holding

2. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dual-boot Windows and Linux: I have a new laptop with a 512 GB SSD. I want to secure-erase the SSD and install Windows and Linux in a dual-boot configuration. Doing the secure-erase is easy, as I can do it with a Linux LiveUSB. I already have a current Windows LiveUSB ready for installation. I did...
  3. Restricting Network Access on Win10/Linux Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restricting Network Access on Win10/Linux Dual Boot: Hello,I Am Ketan Mehta Owner Of Petromet Inc I have a PC with Windows 10 and Kubuntu Linux dual boot.The machine is connected to my DSL router via LAN cable. No Wifi hardware installed.I like Windows to have no internet connection at all. Linux should be able to connect...
  4. Moving Win10 from one SSD to another

Moving Win10 from one SSD to another: Hi, I bought a new SSD and want to move my system to that disk. There is a total of 3 disks in the system: 0 - which is a HDD and it looks like I'm booting from that 1 - the old SSD 2- the new SSD Goal is to only boot from 2 and remove 1. 0 can stay. I cloned 1 to 2 with...
  5. Dual booting Win10 with Ubuntu linux - display driver problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual booting Win10 with Ubuntu linux - display driver problem: Hi! I have installed Win10 on a separate HDD beside Ubuntu. Once installed, everything worked fine with my dual monitor setup (actually a FullHD monitor + a 4K TV). Resolution was just fine. After reinstalling GRUB (the linux bootloader), to make dual boot available again...
  6. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  7. Uninstall Linux dual boot

Uninstall Linux dual boot: Hello everyone ! I first want to mention thant english is not my first language, so, sorry if I make mistakes and am not clear enough ! I just received a second hand computer with windows10 and linux installed on it. The person I got it to told me it would be easy to get...
  8. How to create an USB stick with Win10/Linux dual boot?

How to create an USB stick with Win10/Linux dual boot?: I would like to put Windows10 and Manjaro Linux on one 32GB USB stick, with a nice menu at bootup that asks me what I would like to boot, and then either go install Win10 or boot up Manjaro Live. I tried at least 5 different tools but none of them work, could also be that I...
  9. Migrate Win10 boot disk to another PC + install Linux on a second disk

Migrate Win10 boot disk to another PC + install Linux on a second disk: Ordered the components for a new PC will arrrive in the next week or so. I will reuse the disks from the old one, and the configuration will be SSD1: Win10 old installation, Legacy boot mode SSD2: new Linux installation, TBD (UEFI?) mode HDD: NTFS fs data/Win application...
  10. dual-boot Linux

dual-boot Linux: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is...