Windows 10: Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard

Discus and support Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Since we last wrote about the future of EMET and how it relates to Windows 10 back in November 2016 (see Moving Beyond EMET), we have received lots of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard

Source: Moving Beyond EMET II - Windows Defender Exploit Guard Defense

:)

Brink, Aug 9, 2017

2. Windows Defender

No AV/Antimalware app comes with an ironclad guarantee – because no single app can cover the entire spectrum of online threats. But not so long ago, Windows Defender's level of protection was used as a “baseline” for comparing the protection offered
    by third-party AV apps. That’s no longer the case, and once Windows 10 is updated to the Fall Creators Update, Windows Defender should be sufficient for most users. Specifically, the last two version updates have made a quantum leap in Defender’s level of
    protection against ransomware and zero-day threats by including these features:

Block at First Sight (Seen):

Windows Defender can now immediately block suspicious or unknown files; and then automatically analyze a sample and generate a signature within a matter of seconds

Enable Block at First Sight to detect malware in seconds

Windows Defender Antivirus cloud protection service: Advanced real-time defense against never-before-seen malware

We can also use PowerShell to upgrade the default settings for the Block at First Sight feature:

You can increase the default Cloud Block Level by running one of these commands at the elevated PowerShell Prompt:

Set-MpPreference -CloudBlockLevel High

Set-MpPreference -CloudBlockLevel HighPlus

Set-MpPreference -CloudBlockLevel ZeroTolerance

And you can also increase the allotted analysis time by running this command at the elevated PowerShell prompt:

Set-MpPreference -CloudExtendedTimeout 50

Windows Defender Exploit Guard:

The exploit protection features that were previously provided by EMET are now integrated into Windows 10.

Apply mitigations to help prevent attacks through vulnerabilities

Attack Surface Reduction:

We also have the ability to add Attack Surface Reduction rules with PowerShell in Version 1709:

Enable ASR rules individually to protect your organization

Windows Defender Exploit Guard: Reduce the attack surface against next-generation malware

For example, here’s the first rule that I set up immediately by running this line at the elevated PowerShell prompt

Rule: Block JavaScript or VBScript from launching downloaded executable content:

Set-MpPreference -AttackSurfaceReductionRules_Ids
    D3E037E1-3EB8-44C8-A917-57927947596D -AttackSurfaceReductionRules_Actions Enabled

Then to add additional rules, we use the Add-MpPreference command:

Rule: Block executable content from email client and webmail:

Add-MpPreference -AttackSurfaceReductionRules_Ids BE9BA2D9-53EA-4CDC-84E5-9B1EEEE46550 -AttackSurfaceReductionRules_Actions
    Enabled

Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard [​IMG]

Controlled Folder Access:

Windows document folders are now protected by default, and we can add this ransomware protection to additional folders, as well as whitelist trusted applications in order to allow them access.

Help prevent ransomware and threats from encrypting and changing files

Stopping ransomware where it counts: Protecting your data with Controlled folder access

PUA Protection:

Windows Defender has actually been able to detect and block Potentially Unwanted Applications for some time now, but many people still don’t know that this feature is disabled by default and needs to be enabled by running this command line at the elevated
    PowerShell Prompt:

Set-MpPreference -PUAProtection 1

Then confirm that PUA Protection was enabled by returning the current state for PUAProtection:

$Preferences = Get-MpPreference

$Preferences.PUAProtection

Block Potentially Unwanted Applications with Windows Defender AV

That's enough to convince me that better days are ahead for Windows Defender, and there isn't much doubt that these new features will mitigate the risks associated with ransomware and zero-day threats.

GreginMich, Aug 9, 2017
  3. GreginMich, Aug 9, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Thanks for posting that, Shawn. It's included in Insider build 16257.

Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard [​IMG]

Tony K, Aug 9, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
  6. dencal Win User
    Thanks Shawn...for info plus link for tutorial.

dencal, Aug 9, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard - Similar Threads - Moving Beyond EMET

2. Microsoft Defender Exploit Guard on Windows 10 Pro

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender Exploit Guard on Windows 10 Pro: I've recently found that I'm unbale to access certain websites, e.g. Steam due to the following message in event viewer. Your IT administrator has caused Microsoft Defender Exploit Guard to block a potentially dangerous network connection. Detection time:...
  3. Windows 10 Exploit Guard

Windows 10 Exploit Guard: One of the mitigations available in exploit guard feature is "Do not allow child processes". We can configure it in the group policy using rules to apply it on the system. I am looking for more details on how does this work. I do not think so system can work without...
  4. Windows Defender Application Guard?

Windows Defender Application Guard?: I noticed a setting to enable Windows Defender Application Guard in Edge but can't find discussion of it on the forum. Has anyone used this feature and found it useful? 128727
  5. Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection

Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection: I have a configuration where the Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection needs to be enabled. Recently an MS update must have changed what triggers this protection and I now have 2 custom applications that no longer launch properly. An acceptable solution is to add...
  6. Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection

Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection: I have a configuration where the Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection needs to be enabled. Recently an MS update must have changed what triggers this protection and I now have 2 custom applications that no longer launch properly. An acceptable solution is to add...
  7. Interpreting Windows Defender Exploit Guard ASR audit alerts

in Windows 10 News
    Interpreting Windows Defender Exploit Guard ASR audit alerts: In my previous blog, I talked about how you can leverage Windows Defender ATP’s Advanced hunting to monitor Attack Surface Reduction (ASR) alerts in audit mode and dig a little deeper into the potential application compatibility impact of enforcing more rules. Like many app...
  8. EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?

EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?: Just wondering what people are using for Windows 10? Apparently EMET can be easily exploited in Windows 10 and MB Anti exploit is recommended over it. Any opinions on this? Does the premium version of Anti exploit allow you to secure 3rd party apps as EMET is able to? 64470
  9. Windows: Moving Beyond Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)

in Windows 10 News
    Windows: Moving Beyond Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET): EMET – Then and Now Microsoft’s Trustworthy Computing initiative was 7 years old in 2009 when we first released the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET). Despite substantial improvements in Windows OS security during that same period, it was clear that the way we...
  10. Enable Windows Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Windows Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection in Windows 10: How to: Enable Windows Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection in Windows 10 Network protection is a feature that is part of version 1709[/b]. It helps to prevent users from using...