Windows 10: Moving contacts data from vista laptop to win 10 laptop

Discus and support Moving contacts data from vista laptop to win 10 laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running home edition in both and trying to export contacts from old vista laptop to flash drive, then import to 'people' on win 10 laptop . Do I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pjollop, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Pjollop Win User

Moving contacts data from vista laptop to win 10 laptop

I'm running home edition in both and trying to export contacts from old vista laptop to flash drive, then import to 'people' on win 10 laptop . Do I do it as csv -common separated values ...or vCards (folder of .vcf files)
    thanks in anticipation of a solution.

:)

Pjollop, Oct 9, 2015

2. Win 10 Network file sharing

I have 3 pcs on a network. One desktop running Win 10 and another desktop running Vista. They are connected to the network via Ethernet. The other pc is a laptop running Win 10 and connected via WiFi.
    The Win 10 laptop can see and share files from the Vista desktop. The Vista desktop can see and share files from the Win 10 laptop. They both can neither see or share files from the Win 10 desktop. They both know it is there because they show it as a media
    device only.
    The Win 10 desktop can see and share files from both the Win 10 laptop and the Vista desktop.
    I have shared the files on the win 10 desktop and tried to set all the sharing options I could locate. I have compared the settings of the 2 Win 10 pcs and I think the match as far as I can tell.
    Any ideas on what the problem might be with the network?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet

charlesgarvin, Oct 9, 2015
  3. gigminor Win User
    Transfer a hard drive with win 10

I am buying a used laptop to replace my MSI laptop which is on its death bed. Can I switch the hard drives and keep my Win 10. The Dell laptop I am buying has Windows Vista on it. I would rather switch out the drives than to move to the new drive. My drive
    has two partitions with Win 10 on one and Win 10 prerelease 16176 on other partition

gigminor, Oct 9, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi Pjollop, I'm sure someone has much clearer picture on this, but my impression is that the traditional address book seems to have gone, part of a trend in Windows design from Vista onwards particularly.
    "Today, there seems to be no substantive reason to have Windows Contacts. You can use it with other applications, such as Outlook and Windows Mail, but those applications have their own address books. Moreover, if you use another type of e-mail, such as Gmail or Yahoo! Mail, then you most surely use the address book with those."
    What is the Windows Contacts Folder and Why Do You Need it?

Note that the contacts folder still exists, and clicking on a .contact entry in it produces a relevant Window.
    Despite there being an entry there, the People app shows no contacts, indicating it knows nothing of the old format and does not use that folder.

"Open with" on a *.contact file shows it is associated with 'Windows Contacts', yet there seems to be neither a known program nor exe of such name.

It is also very hard to find any relevant info on this topic for Windows 10.

Fortunately I use Thunderbird... long deterred from relying on Windows email clients after MS chopping and changing - we'll have one, no we won't- we'll change the email client - we'll leave most of the client in but won't make it available- etc.

dalchina, Oct 9, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 9, 2015
  6. Pjollop Win User
    Thanks, I have the Windows 10 for dummies but was trying to find an easier way than typing all 80 or so in again one by one. Does'nt look like I'm in luck. Wonder if I can import them into Windows mail then..again which format?

Pjollop, Oct 9, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, personally, I'd never ever rely on another Windows mail client. Unless you re hoping there's some way of importing your old address book via Win 10 Mail, I would seriously consider using a 3rd party client.

Note that it IS possible to trsnsfer your data into the Contacts folder- it's then a question of how you access the data in it.. maybe there's sthg I've missed.

I used to use Outlook Express- then had to move all to Windows Mail. Then that disappeared (except in Win 7 most of it was still there and could be used with a fix). Then in Win 8 there was no email client. In Windows all the data - rules/address book/emails etc was scattered. So moving it was a pain, although there were some good freeware tools to support that. Now there is a client- but not a desktop client.

There is very good reason to use an email client as I'm sure you know- the ability to keep historic emails, search them, handle multiple email accounts easily, avoid browser login times... but Windows email is not for me.

dalchina, Oct 10, 2015
  8. Pjollop Win User

Thanks, most people on this forum are upgrading to 10 and so the problems of trying to move to a new computer from an old one running an old os are somewhat different. I am rapidly reaching the conclusion that you've come up with the best solution in using thunderbird. I have no knowledge of this programme but will do my homework and try it. Thanks for your help.

Pjollop, Oct 10, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Mm, unless we've missed sthg obvious, Win 10 has a Contacts folder, but nothing obvious in the way of software to support it. That obviously seems wrong- but I haven't found anything yet.

Typing 'contacts' into Cortana doesn't offer anything really useful, same with Store (if there were an app with that in its name it would show even if installed).

Thunderbird is by Mozilla (Firefox). It supports addons. There are several other clients too of course...

dalchina, Oct 10, 2015
  10. Hi:

Agree with Thunderbird. Have been using it since the papyrus era. *Smile
    Free, customizable, configurable, supports themes and extensions, stable, & works with ISP, webmail and Exchange accounts.

(Off-topic: I also use a nifty productivity app, Mailwasher Pro. While I get precious little spam, it allows me to view, review, delete, reply to and (when needed), report spam emails from all of my various accounts in one, configurable and customizable dashboard grid, on the servers, before the messages ever reach my system. There is a mobile version that can be sync'd to one's desktop. The paid version is well worth the price and I cannot live without it. TB + MWP = awesome combo.)

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Oct 10, 2015
  11. I personally think that putting all your contacts in people.live.com would be faster as they'd appear on the People App on W10.

Windows10Freak, Oct 10, 2015
  12. dalchina New Member
    [Off topic] Have you tried poppeeper? Free + paid upgrade- e.g. fast scan of headers across multiple accounts, shows no. of new msgs, allows read and reply; I use Thunderbird and that in combination with Spamihilator, which is pretty reliable. Used to be Spampal. And Bitdefender catches a few.

dalchina, Oct 10, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi Windows10Freak- thanks, can you import a csv file (e.g.) that way?
    If do, could you detail step by step how to do that?

I'm then wondering- if you have your contacts in the People App, what use are they there? (Ok I'm thinking as a traditional desktop user with no intention of using the Mail App e.g.)

dalchina, Oct 10, 2015
  14. Pjollop Win User
    , re: moving my email contacts from my vista laptop contacts programme to my windows 10 laptop “people” app.
    ...tried Microsoft – they said you can’t do it....But I’ve done it.
    This will also work for xp and 7 and maybe others.
    Make sure you have a hotmail/outlook/live email account on your windows 10 laptop.
    Export your contacts from your old vista/xp/7 contacts programme as a .csv folder onto a memory stick.
    Log into your hotmail/live /outlook account on line on your new windows 10 computer.
    Settings (the cog icon) > options>people > import contacts
    Browse to your f drive (memory stick)
    Import contacts then log out.

When you open people app on your win 10 computer all your contacts will be there.
    Yipeeee
    *Cool

Thank you all for your input.

Pjollop, Oct 21, 2015
  15. rrlamson Win User
    I'm having the same problem trying to import contacts from Vista Mail to Windows 10 Live Mail. I tried your technique to Import contacts but having trouble. I'm at your step "Settings (the cog icon)>options..." I can't find the icon or anything that seems to relate to it. Can you help?

rrlamson, Nov 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Moving contacts data from vista laptop to win 10 laptop - Similar Threads - Moving contacts data

2. Old vista laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old vista laptop: So I was given an old windows vista laptop that supposedly is in good condition. Unfortunately, they could not remember the password and I haven't been able to get logged in. If I were to buy windows 10 installation, would it wipe it clean with an install so I can start over....
  3. Vista HD into windows 10 laptop Data recover question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Vista HD into windows 10 laptop Data recover question: ill try and be clear and to the point I have an old laptop HD that was from my old VISTA laptop 2013 approx, just the HD with my old files i had from my old laptop which is dead. I have a new windows 10 )newest version laptop. I tried swapping old hd into the win 10 laptop...
  4. Moving data from W7 laptop to W10 laptop

Moving data from W7 laptop to W10 laptop: My wife is still using a Windows 7 laptop. She resists change. It's hdd is divided into a C: W7 system partition and an E: data partition. She is now getting a Windows 10 laptop and I need to move her data and installed programs (mostly MS office 2002, Thunderbird set up as...
  5. Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista: I have an HP laptop that was a 2008 model that was purchased at Sam's Club in 2009. It came with the Vista operating system and I have the product key and an install disk for that. I also have a Windows 7 disk that either came with the laptop or was mailed to me by HP....
  6. transferring file from Vista laptop to new Windows 10 laptop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transferring file from Vista laptop to new Windows 10 laptop.: I am transferring one of my own song from my old Vista laptop via USB stick to my new Windows 10 laptop but when I try and play the song in windows media player it says can't play and shows 0X00d7186 how can I resolve this please. it says Content user rights too....
  7. Moving data from dead laptop to PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving data from dead laptop to PC: Recently, I found my old, broken laptop, and I removed the hard disk drive from it. That laptop ran Windows 7, and I was wondering if I could put it in my pc, which runs Windows 10 Home, to transfer the files (pictures, documents, etc). Info Old one is Toshiba 320 gigabyte...
  8. transfer all data from vista to windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer all data from vista to windows 10: Hi . I have been running vista. now I have a new computer a Dell with windows 10 pre installed. I have made a full back up to an external hard drive from my old vista and would like to transfer all that data from the external hard drive to the new windows 10...
  9. Move Outlook 2013 Address Book Contacts to Contacts in WIN 10

in Browsers and Email
    Move Outlook 2013 Address Book Contacts to Contacts in WIN 10: How do I move Outlook 2013 Address Book CONTACTS to Win 10 CONTACTS ?? 22383
  10. Moving settings and data from one windows 10 laptop to another

Moving settings and data from one windows 10 laptop to another: My son, kind boy that he is, bought me a new laptop for Christmas. The old one is perfectly serviceable, but slow (i3-2365M, 1TB hdd, 8Gb mem, on-chip graphics*Sad ). The new one is a i7-6700HQ, 512Gb sdd, 1TBhdd, 16Gb mem, NVIDIAGeForce GTX 960M *Biggrin. Both laptops have...