Windows 10: moving desktop icons

Discus and support moving desktop icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since the latest update my desktop icons are difficult to keep in place. I do not have auto arrange or align to grid checked. When I move icons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by logman, Aug 21, 2017.

1. logman Win User

moving desktop icons

Ever since the latest update my desktop icons are difficult to keep in place. I do not have auto arrange or align to grid checked. When I move icons where I want them they often snap to another position at random. I have all my desktop icons positioned around the perimeter of the screen. Icons used to stay where I put them now they don't
    how can I correct this?.........

:)

logman, Aug 21, 2017
  2. jobabarry Win User

Desktop icons moving

desktop icons moving

jobabarry, Aug 21, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Desktop Icons moving

MS does not want us to store icons on the desktop anymore. There is no native feature to keep icons in place if the screen resolution changes. That can happen with some older video cards and if you have more than a single monitor setup.

Back in Win 8 I used Stardock fences while it was in beta test. I really liked it.

Right now I am using ICU. It is adequate for simple setups. It only captures the main screen of my dual screen setup. But it does with with my 4K monitor.

Today I tried Desktop OK. Didn't work for me, at all.

Rohn007, Aug 21, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

moving desktop icons

Try using 'align to grid' to see if they stick under that View setting

mrgeek, Aug 22, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    There are several good Icon position save and restore utilities. I use Desktop Restore and like it.

tcebob, Aug 22, 2017
  6. logman Win User
    will try

logman, Aug 23, 2017
  7. logman Win User
    I'll see if it works.

logman, Aug 23, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

moving desktop icons

Yes, this does seem a frequently reported problem since the Creators Update. It seems to be a bit too clever for its own good in 'intelligently rearranging' desktop icons.

What fixed it for me was a minor adjustment to the vertical spacing for the icons, the tip I followed is here:
    Desktop icons misbehaving after Creators Update

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

moving desktop icons

1. moving desktop icons - Similar Threads - moving desktop icons

2. Desktop Icons Keep Moving

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Keep Moving: Hello, Every time my screen goes black, because it has been 15 minutes (screensaver setting) or I wake it from Sleep Mode, all of my icons are moved to the other side of the screen. I just find this really annoying to move them back to the order I had them. Is there a...
  3. Desktop Icons move on start up

Desktop Icons move on start up: For a couple of weeks now (after windows 10 update, and still after the most recent update) every time I restart the computer, my desktop icons are rearranged on the desktop. All icons which I have arranged on the right side of the screen get moved and re-arranged to other...
  4. moving icons on desktop - windows 10

moving icons on desktop - windows 10: When I press on an icon to move it to a folder on desk top, immediately the file (of icon) is opened, and I am unable to move it in to the folder. Same problem if I want to shift the icon to another place. I tried to press hard on the icon for shifting, but I end up only...
  5. Desktop Icons Won't Move

Desktop Icons Won't Move: I can't move my desktop icons. Auto-arrange icons is off Align icons to grid is off When I click on the icon; nothing happens. There is no error message It was working properly earlier today I can open folders; I can open files on the desktop and with folders on...
  6. Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Desktop icons moving to monitor 2: Is there a known solution for this problem? (Icons moved to the 2nd display after some windows update nearly a year ago - still haven't seen any real fix:-(...)...
  7. desktop icons move constantly

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons move constantly: My desktop icons have begun to change around all the time and the taskbar gets thicker and thicker. Anyone else having this problem? How do i tell when Microsoft last updated my OS? Windows 10 113567
  8. Desktop Icons move during the night?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons move during the night?: Hi, I have read quite a few similar related threads, but come up with no answer yet. For the last 6 nights my desktop icons move at some point during the night. They are fine all day, but when I come back in the morning they have moved, as if the screen resolution had...
  9. Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop?: Is there a way to make W10 move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop? I could do this in W8.1 although I was using Start8. This has become a minor issue with W10 since when I install an update to a program (reinstall a newer version) the "old" Icon in the Taskbar...
  10. Icons on Desktop move when saved

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on Desktop move when saved: Hi This might seem like a trivial problem compared to some of the others on this site, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix my icon problem. I have icons for certain files - word and excel, that I arrange in convenient places on the desktop. If I edit these then...