Windows 10: Moving from AMD to Intel, total overhaul of system

Discus and support Moving from AMD to Intel, total overhaul of system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, I am getting ready to move from an AMD build over to an Kaby Lake i7 7700k that I won from work *Smile I am pretty much replacing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cwburns32, Mar 4, 2017.

1. cwburns32 Win User

Moving from AMD to Intel, total overhaul of system

Hello all,

I am getting ready to move from an AMD build over to an Kaby Lake i7 7700k that I won from work *Smile I am pretty much replacing everything save my disk drives (Samsung 512GB 850 Pro and WD Black 1.5TB, 64mb cache). I had a few questions before I make all this changes. First I'll tell you what I am replacing with what and then I'll ask my few questions.

AMD FX-8320 >>> Intel i7 7700k
    G.Skill Ripjaw X Series DDR3 1866 >>> Corsair Dominator Platinum Series DDR4 3000
    Asus M5A99X Evo >>> MSI 270 Titanium XPower Gaming
    Don't recall PSU >>> EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
    Hyper Evo 212 >>> Corsair Hydro Series H115i
    120 mm random fans >>> Noctua 140mm NF-p14s redux-1500 RPM fans
    Antec 1100 v2 >>> Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX, Tempered Glass Edition
    Reusing my Samsung 512GB 850 Pro
    Reusing my WD Black 1.5TB, will move to 5TB WD Black in future
    Reusing 2 VS248s, will move to a pair of UHD displays in future

I am considering buying a Samsung 250GB 960 Evo/Pro to use as my OS drive. Then I can use my 850 Pro for all my games and the 1.5/5TB HDD for my data. To me it seems the performance boost from the 850 Pro to the 960 series is a rather significant jump which is why I am considering it. If I take this route what is the proper way to set this up? Plug in just M.2 drive to start, install OS and updates, then plug in 850 Pro and HDD? Please let me know best practice here.

Currently my 512GB SSD has my OS and some games and my 1.5TB has just data. I plan to start fresh with both what is the best way to format both of these drives completely to start fresh with a new Win 10 install. I presume the Windows 10 Clean Install guide is probably the best place for this info. (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...n-install.html)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

:)

cwburns32, Mar 4, 2017

2. video Dxgkrnal fatal error

How to disable RTPM in intel drivers? ..... iam using a dell inspiron 5548 with have a intel graphics card 5500 and amd radeon R7 m270.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures]

BipeenJung Xetri, Mar 4, 2017
  3. moin32 Win User
    Windows 10 and switchable graphics black screen after sleep mode

I have an Intel i5 1st Gen and an AMD HD5730 in the MSI GE600 running Windows 10. When the notebook wakes up from energy saving I only get a black screen. Sometimes it restarts after seconds, sometimes the system simply stays on. From the system sounds I
    can tell that then the system is normally running.

It is the same with drivers from windows update as well as those by AMD/Intel .

If I select either Intel graphics or amd graphics only (in bios) everything works as expected. With only amd there is annother problem: I cannot adjust brightness of the screen.

Thank you for your help.

moin32, Mar 4, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

The clean install would be proper as you'll be changing a lot of hardware, essentially making it a new computer. Getting Win10 activated on the new hardware may require using the Product Key that came with Win7 or Win8/8.1.

Berton, Mar 4, 2017
  5. cwburns32 Win User
    I actually have a copy of Win10 Home. It's a disc version and I will not be getting an optical drive which means I will have to create a Windows 10 Home USB install drive?

cwburns32, Mar 4, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes.

As you stated, we do recommend that you only have the drive connected that you want to install Windows to during the install. Select the Custom Install option and if any partitions are listed on the drive you want to install to, delete them. Highlight the remaining unallocated space and click next to let the Windows installer set up the partition it wants.

After you get Windows going on the desired drive, then reconnect the other drives. Delete all the partitions on the drive you want to "recycle" and create a new primary NTFS partition on it. You can manually adjust all the drive letters except for C: drive in disk management.

NavyLCDR, Mar 4, 2017
  7. cwburns32 Win User
    I am leaning towards getting the 960 and installing just the OS and a few of my most commonly used, smaller sized programs on there. Then hooking up the 850 and HDD for rest of games and raw storage. I will do as you recommend. NTFS partition on the 850 Pro as well?

I'm curious do I download a Win10 ISO or rip the ISO off my Win10 disc? Once I do I am confused at which method to use...I'm sure my MB will have UEFI bios but it seems to me that there is no option to format/delete partitions (prior to install) if you install via USB drive through UEFI bios...is that true? I know how to create the USB boot but want to make sure I use proper method.

cwburns32, Mar 4, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I would just use the Media Creation Tool to make a fresh USB flash drive for you, Option 1 here:
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10

Your DVD is likely to be outdated.

UEFI does not matter, boot from the USB flash drive and you can still select the custom install option, wipe partitions off the drive, and install to the unallocated space. In fact, if the drive was previously used in a legacy BIOS computer, this is the easiest way to convert the drive to GPT partitioning to work in a UEFI computer.

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    The USB method works if the computer can boot to it. For the unknowns I keep an External USB 2.0 CD/DVD Burner and boot to it for installing from DVD [less than $50USD].

For the USB method it seems to work best using RUFUS to make the USB Drive bootable then copy the contents of the DVD to it or Mount the .iso file and copy the contents. I've used the MCT/Media Creation Tool to create the both the USB drive and the .iso for the DVD, got Version 1607 Build 14393.442 then updated to get 14393.639.

Berton, Mar 5, 2017
  10. cwburns32 Win User
    The drive was previously used in UEFI build and I build is already setup as GPT partitioning....I suppose it has to be as it works in my current UEFI build. DVD was purchased about 5 months ago so I suppose it is likely outdated.

I suppose I can pick up an external CD/DVD drive as a safeguard.

I will also use either MCT or Rufus to create my USB bootable so I have multiple options. I imagine downloading the ISO will get me a more up to date version than my current DVD as mention above.

cwburns32, Mar 5, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    I failed to mention that using the MCT process to create the USB drive does make it bootable, did it a couple of days ago to install on an older blank drive [no partition] and worked fine, gave the version I mentioned. I was testing the computer before putting in a new drive.

Berton, Mar 5, 2017
  12. cwburns32 Win User
    So if I am understanding correctly I can simply use an external CD/DVD drive to install from DVD but it is likely an older version = more updates afterwards. OR I can use the MCT to make a bootable USB drive with most recent, available Win10 version and boot from USB to install newer(est) version = less updates afterwards?

cwburns32, Mar 5, 2017
  13. cwburns32 Win User

I ended up ordering the 960 Evo M.2 for my OS so will be brand new drive to install OS onto.

cwburns32, Mar 5, 2017
  14. kipper Win User
    Hey there CW

If you do go with the 960 Pro or EVO M.2 drive.......it has the windows native driver so you can install the OS, however, once you have Windows installed you should install the Samsung Driver for the M.2 or you will not get the full benefit from the drive. You will find the driver listed on the Samsung Support site.

You will also need to make some changes in the BIOS most likely for Windows to see the 960 to begin with.....I can tell you the changes for most of the ASUS boards such as mine but have not looked at any for your prospective board......

kipper, Mar 5, 2017
  15. AddRAM Win User
    I didn`t see a GPU in your list, what do you plan to get ? It may be a good idea to wait for the 1080 Ti, but it may be awhile before retailers get it in stock.

You may as well get the best, I recommend EVGA. *Smile But unless you`re a big time gamer a 1070 or 1080 would be more then adequate.

EVGA - Intelligent Innovation - Official Website

You might want to consider getting a 1000 P2, they lowered the price, but if you think an 850 is enough, that`s fine too.

EVGA - Products - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Power Supply - 220-P2-1000-XR

Or even the 850 P2 over the G3. It`s only $10 more.

EVGA - Products - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 Power Supply - 220-P2-0850-X1

AddRAM, Mar 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Moving from AMD to Intel, total overhaul of system - Similar Threads - Moving AMD Intel

2. AMD to INTEL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AMD to INTEL: I am building a new system and am going from an AMD motherboard to Intel motherboard... My current Windows 10 is "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account " What I need to figureout is should I plan on a fresh install and if I do a fresh...
  3. AMD to INTEL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AMD to INTEL: I am building a new system and am going from an AMD motherboard to Intel motherboard... My current Windows 10 is "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account " What I need to figureout is should I plan on a fresh install and if I do a fresh...
  4. AMD to INTEL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Moving from Intel to AMD - advice please...?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving from Intel to AMD - advice please...?: I want to upgrade my computer with new motherboard, processor, changing from Intel to AMD. I understand that I will need to deactivate/reactivate my windows licence, but if I move my existing SSD to the new system will it boot and run on the new system, albeit unactivated,...
  6. Changing from Intel to AMD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from Intel to AMD: Hello, I have recently bought a new amd cpu and motherboard to replace my old intel i5, how do I change these two without having to reinstall windows 10retail version and all my programs, games etc. Thanks....
  7. Switching from Intel to AMD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from Intel to AMD: Which means reinstallation of Windows 10. I just need to know what will happen to those software that are installed anywhere else than C:/ ? Will they run on the new Win 10 as expected? How about their registry keys? submitted by /u/Shantanu08_YT [link] [comments]...
  8. Switch from Intel to Amd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switch from Intel to Amd: Hello guys, I need help with my graphic card, I have 2 graphic cards, Intel and amd7400 on my laptop hp pavilion g6. I need to switch graphics to Amd because a long time ago, a friend maybe did something on these graphic cards because he said that will save energy for me...
  9. Upgrading system from Intel to AMD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading system from Intel to AMD: I have bought a new motherboard, cpu and gpu. I want to keep the data on my ssd and hard drive and do a fresh install of windows when i install all new parts. How do i do it?...
  10. intel to amd.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    intel to amd.: I am about to upgrade to an amd cpu. the problem is I have to reinstall windows to avoid potential driver issues. this is the same computer, so my windows home license for win10 should carry over, but if I just boot up the computer with fresh install im guessing its gonna ask...