Windows 10: moving hard drive to a differant laptop

Discus and support moving hard drive to a differant laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dog knocked over my laptop and now it doesn't work. Removed the hard deive and bought a used laptop as the broken one. what do I need to due to get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fwddpi, May 20, 2017.

1. fwddpi Win User

moving hard drive to a differant laptop

Dog knocked over my laptop and now it doesn't work.
    Removed the hard deive and bought a used laptop as
    the broken one.
    what do I need to due to get the hard drive to run in
    the new laptop

:)

fwddpi, May 20, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, May 20, 2017
  3. Moved Hard drive to different computer

I moved my hard drive to a gaming computer- and it's telling me that I need to activate windows now. The hard drive came in an Asus desktop that we installed Windows 8 on, then upgraded to Windows 10 when it rolled out earlier this year and haven't had any
    problems with it until I swapped it to the gaming desktop.

When I click "Activate Now" it just says "Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error code: 0x803F7001"

Do I seriously have to dig out the paperwork from the original desktop to fix this?

I honestly don't care about it being activated, except that the little message in the bottom corner is annoying.

SummerHanes, May 20, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Does the used laptop have a secondary bay to insert the hard drive from the damaged computer?
    Do you have a hard drive enclosure?
    Has the internal hard drive from the damaged computer been checked to see if it was also damaged?

zbook, May 20, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    You should just be able to remove drive from old laptop and put it in new one.

Windows 10 is pretty good at sorting out drivers.

Assuming it boots ok, you should go to device manager and check all drivers are up to date.

Are you sure the hdd is ok - biggest failure mechanism when a laptop is dropped is the actual hard drive itself?

cereberus, May 20, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    The hard drive might work in that second-hand laptop but you may run into OEM licensing problems.

7. fwddpi Win User
    hard drive boots and all icons appear on the desktop but I cannot open anything.
    Including the start menu

fwddpi, May 21, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

Above you reported that you were able to boot to the wall paper / lock screen, then logon, then desk top. But there was no longer any response when clicking on icons or the start menu.

It was a surprise that you were able to boot with the operating system from one computer to another computer without licensing problems.

Try command line:
    1) windows + x keys simultaneously
    2) a
    3) alt + y keys simultaneously
    4) type sfc /scannow
    5) type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    6) chkdsk
    7) shutdown /s

Let us know the results for each of the steps.

zbook, May 22, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    It's quite possible that HDD was damaged too, specially if laptop was running at that time of fall. I would check that drive also.

CountMike, May 22, 2017
  10. fwddpi Win User
    1 Nothing
    2 Nothing
    3 Magnifier came on at 400%
    5-7 There isn't a ace to type anything

fwddpi, May 23, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    What if anything were you able to do with the keyboard? Can any of the keys produce a pop up?
    What happens with control + alt + delete or control + shift + escape?
    Did task manager pop up?
    How about windows + R key? Did the run box pop up?
    Can you get access to a hard drive enclosure to place your hard drive?
    This would possibly enable you to move files and use software to check the hard drive.
    Or do you have access to a notebook computer that has an empty secondary bay in which this hard drive can be placed to recover files and or test the drive?

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. moving hard drive to a differant laptop - Similar Threads - moving hard drive

2. move msfs2020 to a different drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    move msfs2020 to a different drive: I get this error 0x80073d0b when trying to move msfs2020 to a different drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-msfs2020-to-a-different-drive/e45679e9-5ae0-4b40-9ca6-810e0f47dedb
  3. Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops: I have a Toshiba Satellite with a bad motherboard dropped. I cloned the drive to an SSD and placed it in a new HP. In the Bluetooth devices section, the 2 devices are still listed but I cannot pair them nor can I delete them. I have also tried using a BT dongle with no...
  4. Hard drive move

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard drive move: Haven't seen this question yet. I have an Intel NUC-7. A lightning strike killed this computer and every electronic device in my office. I desire to replace the NUC-7 with a NUC-10 barebones. The 500GB SSD, spinning 2TB HD and the 32GB RAM may have survived. I can move these...
  5. moving MSFS20 to a different drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    moving MSFS20 to a different drive?: I bought MSFS on steam and chose my f: drive (HD) - OS Win10 for the installation everything works fine, but now I would like to move it to my e: drive (SSD) the only info I found was this: "from Windows settings from the start menu, go to apps. Find the app you want to...
  6. moving MSFS20 to a different drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    moving MSFS20 to a different drive?: I bought MSFS on steam and chose my f: drive (HD) - OS Win10 for the installation everything works fine, but now I would like to move it to my e: drive (SSD) the only info I found was this: "from Windows settings from the start menu, go to apps. Find the app you want to...
  7. Moving a hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving a hard drive: I have a windows 7 home (64 bit) desktop and a windows 10 pro (64 bit) ver 1903 desktop. Can I pull the 350gb storage hard drive from the windows 7 pc and install it in the windows 10 pc (both pcs are SATA) without loosing any of the files on the hard drive. Can I just move...
  8. Moving hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving hard drive: I have a windows 10 computer that is having mother board problem and another similar computer that the hard drive crashed. can I switch the good hard drive to the other computer...
  9. moving my hard drive into another laptop

moving my hard drive into another laptop: i have a toshiba 64 bit laptop and it is starting to go bad. i have a hp probook 6460b 64 bit that has not hard drive in it. so i took the drive out of the toshiba and put it into the hp and after it did it's thing telling me some hardware has changed and finally started up...
  10. hard drive move

hard drive move: I have ask this before and have conflicting reply I have an old working comp gateway gt 5014 pent d 2.80 win 10 with 4 gig ram I woulld like to remove hdrive and put into a hp hpe210f amd phenom ii 945 quad 8 gig of ram not sure if this box was upgrades had win7 but...