Windows 10: Moving harddrive from one laptop to another and can't activate

Discus and support Moving harddrive from one laptop to another and can't activate in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 2 laptops. Both with 10 pro on them and both activated. One is dying and has an ssd. the other is a spinning drive. I took the ssd out of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by t2pack, Apr 3, 2018.

1. t2pack Win User

Moving harddrive from one laptop to another and can't activate

I have 2 laptops. Both with 10 pro on them and both activated. One is dying and has an ssd. the other is a spinning drive. I took the ssd out of the bad one (both HP's) and put it in the good one, but now windows is no longer activated. Error code is 0xC004F034.

:)

t2pack, Apr 3, 2018

2. Removed harddrive from one computer to another and then back to the original

Sorry to say so but moving the disk from PC A to PC B caused permanent damage to the registry because Windows tried to adjust it to the different hardware. You will have to re-install Windows from scratch.

Frederik Long, Apr 3, 2018
  3. Removed harddrive from one computer to another and then back to the original

I can't tell since I cannot see your machine. Why not give it a try?

Maybe System Restore will repair the damage.

Frederik Long, Apr 3, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

Try rebooting a couple of times. You can also run activation troubleshooter assuming your were (and now are) logging in with MS account.

cereberus, Apr 3, 2018
  5. t2pack Win User
    Tried rebooting multiple times. Not using and never have a MS account on either machine.

t2pack, Apr 3, 2018
  6. sn00ker Win User
    Since you're using 2 PCs, do you also have 2 different windows 10 licenses or prior versions ( Upgraded ) . You can't use 2 units on the same license . Sooner or later MS will flag that

sn00ker, Apr 3, 2018
  7. t2pack Win User
    Both machines for the free upgrade from 7. I have the 7 license sticker still on it. Will that work?

t2pack, Apr 3, 2018
  8. sn00ker Win User

I would try to re enter your 7 keys for each unit and see if that will clear it up

sn00ker, Apr 3, 2018
  9. t2pack Win User
    This is the message I get from the troubleshooter.

t2pack, Apr 3, 2018
  10. t2pack Win User
    I'll try it when I get home. Right now I'm accessing the machine remotely so can't see the sticker *Smile

t2pack, Apr 3, 2018
  11. sn00ker Win User
    I would give it a try under Activation >> change product key . You might need to keep trying it over and over again until it gets activated, there a chance it wouldn't work .... Curious by chance did you create a back up image on one system and used on the other system ?

sn00ker, Apr 3, 2018
  12. t2pack Win User
    Not a back up. I took the ssd out of the activated machine that's about to die and put it into the the activated machine that had a slower spinning drive as I didn't want to have to reinstall all my programs.

t2pack, Apr 3, 2018
  13. Winuser Win User

I did it when my HP desktop died and it worked and was still activated. The new desktop is now a dual boot setup. One drive is the OEM Home version that came with it and the other drive is the retail version of Windows 10 Pro that is from my old computer. This was with a full retail version. I don't know if it will work with a OEM version.

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
  14. Winuser Win User
    Are you sure both laptops were running Windows 10 Pro? Was the original OS's OEM versions?

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
  15. AddRAM Win User
    Yep from the message you posted in reply #7 it sounds like you had Home on one PC and Pro on the other.

But you said they were both Pro so..... Hmmm

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving harddrive from one laptop to another and can't activate - Similar Threads - Moving harddrive laptop

2. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  3. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  4. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  5. Files moved from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files moved from one drive to another: Hello,So recently my files have been moved from one drive to another, my files in drive C: are now in drive F:, and the ones in drive F: are now in drive E:, and I'm logged into a default user instead of mine. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?...
  6. Files moved from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files moved from one drive to another: Hello,So recently my files have been moved from one drive to another, my files in drive C: are now in drive F:, and the ones in drive F: are now in drive E:, and I'm logged into a default user instead of mine. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?...
  7. Moving Files from one device to another.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Files from one device to another.: Hello. I have very little storage on my SSD, and I would like to move some files, such as documents, pictures, downloads, onedrive and videos onto the drive. But I did move it, but when I check my SSD C: and go onto users, pictures documents and onedrive are still there, does...
  8. Transfer harddrive from one PC to another.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer harddrive from one PC to another.: Hello, I am building a new PC currently. The only component I didn't purchase was a new harddrive. Is it possible to transfer my current one 1TB SSD, w/ Windows 10 installed to the new computer without any hiccups? Thanks in advance!...
  9. Moving of OS from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving of OS from one laptop to another: My laptop is almost dead. It has Windows 10 OS. I have another laptop, which is in decent condition. How do I move Windows license from broken laptop to a new laptop?...
  10. Move Hard Drive from One Laptop to Another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move Hard Drive from One Laptop to Another: I have two laptops, both are Dell Inspiron model 5558 with identical hardware configurations. Both are Win 10 version 1903. Due to a hinge issue with the primary machine, I want to move the hard drive from the one with the damaged hinge to the one without the hinge problem....