Windows 10: Moving multiple files in Windows

Discus and support Moving multiple files in Windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am often moving and copying many large files around on computers that I manage. If all the files that I want to move or copy are in one folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by teachermark, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Moving multiple files in Windows

I am often moving and copying many large files around on computers that I manage.

If all the files that I want to move or copy are in one folder then it's easy.

My problem is two-fold...

Can I highlight files from different folders or drives and move them all in one go?
    (It's not practical to move the files - even temporarily - into one folder.)

If I can't do that, is there a way of adding additional files to the transfer queue, once I have started moving/copying files.
    (I do NOT want to start another transfer running side by side with the existing one halving the speed - rather, I want to add files to an existing transfer so they transfer sequentially.)

Maybe there is a program out there that would enable the kind of file movement I'm looking for?

Thanks...

:)

teachermark, Aug 1, 2016
  2. vivekvp Win User

Moving multiple files to an album

Hello,

I moved 400+ files to an album, or so I thought. Instead, Ovi moved all my files to All My Media - no big deal, just select them all and move them to the right folder....

Um....how do I do that - I could not find a way to do that. And is there a bulk way to delete them from All My Media, or or once added to another Album - they are removed from All My Media. The target Album only has selected members on it - and that is
    what I want to share.

Thanks,

V

vivekvp, Aug 1, 2016
  3. erga---01 Win User
    Moving multiple files to an album

All media is a collection of all you images so all the media you have in Share will be shown in that folder. That folder is not public by default. so if you cant to share stuff you just create an album and link the media you want from your media library
    to that album.

So the photos will not disappear from all media unless you permanently delete them from Share.

So consider the albums as a reduced view to all media.

erga---01, Aug 1, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Moving multiple files in Windows

To be honest, with things like this I try to set up a system where I can use file syncing software (like SyncBack) to set up a particular sync query that I can run to sync folders from one location to another. After the initial setting up and testing and making sure it's syncing exactly what I want, I can then re-run it whenever without having to worry about mistakes/errors, etc. However if the files you're interested in are random, then obviously that makes it more difficult.

Is there any way the files you are interested in can be filtered? For example, are they all picture files, or created in a certain time period, or have a part of the file name in common, etc.?

If there's some way to narrow them down, you could go to a top level folder (such as C:\Users\UserName) in File Explorer and use the search feature in File Explorer to narrow down the search. Then go through the folders/files you're interested in copying, select them and copy them to another location. You can change various views according to what you're looking for, for example, Details View, Large Icons View, etc.

See the following tutorial for more info on narrowing down File Explorer Search:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/21310-search-find-more-filters-operators.html

Moving multiple files in Windows [​IMG]

ARC1020, Aug 1, 2016
  5. AndreyT Win User
    If you do that a lot, then relying on the built-in File Explorer for file operations would be a rather unrewarding endeavor. Typically people would adopt a third-party file manager, which would normally include features designed to achieve exactly what you want (i.e. selecting and copying files from multiple locations).

For example, such timeless classics like Far Manager, Midnight Commander, Total Commander and such (of Norton Commander heritage) allow you to open an intermediate temporary "scratch" panel and "copy" your files to that panel. This operation does not really copy anything physically, it just places links to the source file locations into the temporary panel. Once you finished collecting these links in that temporary panel, you can physically copy them to their final destination in one shot.

AndreyT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Moving multiple files in Windows

1. Moving multiple files in Windows - Similar Threads - Moving multiple files

2. Move multiple folders that contains specific files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move multiple folders that contains specific files: [ATTACH] Hello everyone. I need help. I am driving crazy with something that may be simple. I have a folder with 5000 movies. See the screenshot: https://preview.redd.it/qtseh9wul0ga1.png?width=1437&format=png&auto=webp&s=bde881bb11363c8d33c320639653b9fc21cd373b I want...
  3. How to move multiple files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move multiple files: Is there a way to quickly move multiple files to a folder rather than copy/pasting them all individually? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-multiple-files/7b1e8473-f606-457d-95fa-b0cd47599f2c
  4. How to move multiple files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move multiple files: Is there a way to quickly move multiple files to a folder rather than copy/pasting them all individually? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-multiple-files/7b1e8473-f606-457d-95fa-b0cd47599f2c
  5. Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously: Hello everyone! I have almost 900 PDFs that need to get moved from one folder to their own individual folders. I have about 200 folders with a set of PDFs in each to move. I found a way to rename them all with excel that was really helpful 2019- 386A- HAZCOM but right now I'm...
  6. Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously: Hello everyone! I have almost 900 PDFs that need to get moved from one folder to their own individual folders. I have about 200 folders with a set of PDFs in each to move. I found a way to rename them all with excel that was really helpful 2019- 386A- HAZCOM but right now I'm...
  7. Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously

8. Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders: When I select more than one folder to move either cut and paste or drag and drop, Explorer will move the first folder but leave the other selected folders. I can move multiple files with no issues. I can delete multiple folders / files with no issues. My work around is to...
  9. Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders

Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders: When I select more than one folder to move either cut and paste or drag and drop, Explorer will move the first folder but leave the other selected folders. I can move multiple files with no issues. I can delete multiple folders / files with no issues. My work around is to...
  10. move multiple folders based on file extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    move multiple folders based on file extension: Hi, I have a main folder with 2000+ subfolders. 500+ of them have ISO files. I want to move all the folders that contain ISO files to a new separate folder. How do I do it? Obviously, I can find all the ISO files when searching via win explorer, but I don't want to move...