Windows 10: moving music/docs files to the new save drive location

Discus and support moving music/docs files to the new save drive location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have recently changed the drive for my "save location" as it was getting a little full. The new drive is in place OK and new music/docs etc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dch1950, Aug 24, 2016.

1. dch1950 Win User

moving music/docs files to the new save drive location

Hi all,
    I have recently changed the drive for my "save location" as it was getting a little full. The new drive is in place OK and new music/docs etc are now stored on the newly allocated hard drive. I do still need to move some files from the old "data" drive but I can't see how to do this , other than on a one by one basis. Is there a bulk copy procedure or a "my documents" re-allocation that would auto move the files?
    regards
    Dave H

:)

dch1950, Aug 24, 2016

2. Transfering files from SSD to Hardrive

The default folders like Documents/Downloads/Music/Pictures/Videos can be easily moved. Just create empty folders with the same names on another drive. Then right-click Documents for example, go to the Location tab and use the Move button to select the
    new docs folder. When it asks you whether you want to move all your files, just answer Yes. Repeat for Downloads, Music etc.

RobertJWin, Aug 24, 2016
  3. Problem moving libraries from dedault location to externcal drive

Using explorer/properties/location to move default library Document Picture and Music directories to an external drive, the files are copied not moved so I end up with a copy in both the old and new locatons. I used explorer/properties/location to move
    the files and the program indicates that the files will be "moved" to selected location, but the files are actually copied. Also the old and new directories seem to be linked, if I save a file to one location it shows in both locations. When opening some
    programs I get a message that the expected file location (original location) cannot be found and that the reference must be changed.

SHouston63, Aug 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

It's an excellent idea to move your data away from your Windows partition or drive.

Like Music, Photos, the Documents properties sheet includes a Location tab. I presume that's what you've been using, if that's what you're now referring to.

However, if you're referring to moving bulk files and folders in general, Teracopy (free) is often recommended.

My personal preference is to copy, then delete, rather than move when moving many things - why? If sthg goes wrong, you can always try again. If sthg goes wrong during a move, you may lose data, and yuo may spend a lot of time tidying up.

Note that moving the default folders, whilst supported, may catch you out at some point. Many programs esp. multimedia programs, create their own folders here. If they are poorly programmed, they may use the absolute path to those folders, and either then fail in some manner or create the folder tree on C:

I prefer to leave the defaults where they are, with minimal content, and use my own folders on other disks or partitions; these can be added to libraries if you wish. There's nothing very unique about these default folders - more like them can be created.

dalchina, Aug 24, 2016
  5. dch1950 Win User
    Thanks for your considered response. As with most things, this problem isn't that straightforward. I switched to Win 10 last July (2015) having processed through win 7 , and win 8. The bulk of my music and docs etc having followed me through from when I used XP. (My god, that seems such a long time ago now.). I just popped the old drive concerned into my new box (last July) and carried on. That drive started to get a little full, so I changed the default "save location" and this serviced all new docs,music etc. I now wish to move the music, and pictures from the original drive, but can only seem to do it at the top level i.e. "Documents" , music, pictures, etc not showing a location tab to facilitate block transfers. I don't wish to move everything as that would just recreate the original problem, I need to be selective down to sub folder level within each group. I don't seem to be able to do this. To cap it all I upgraded to the anniversary Win 10 version (1607?) and that version/build made the drive with all my music on disappear from my configuration, and would only see the "new" save location drive. I did roll back so no lasting damage was caused - phew!
    any thoughts
    Dave

dch1950, Aug 25, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, The sort of thing you need to select from a tree structure and copy only those selected is this (I think):
    SyncBackPro Help

Note it has free/commercial versions so you'd need to check if the free version suits you.

The picture I have is that you have 3 drives. You have relocated the default library folders to a separate 'new' drive and that's fine.

Your old data drive has a similar folder structure (Documents, Videos etc ), these having been created by previously relocating these folders. You were hoping to see a Location tab in properties for those folders, but don't 'cos these are not 'known' to your current Windows as relocated folders.

So what actually is the problem with copying folders from the old data drive to the new one? The original problem was your drive was getting full. Presumably your new drive is bigger, so what is the problem that concerns you now, other than the tedium of copying, depending on how selective you need to be?

Explorer can copy folders- Teracopy is supposed to be more reliable, faster, so you don't have to copy files 1 by 1.

Regarding your disappearing data on upgrading- this happened to quite a few people when they upgraded to the previous build (1511) - this seems to be a user profile problem.

Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Aug 25, 2016
  7. And how about copying everything and then deleting the folders you want to stay on the original disk?

Olivir2014, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. moving music/docs files to the new save drive location - Similar Threads - moving music docs

2. saving a doc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    saving a doc: I have a lot of OneDrive folders, and when I go to save a new document or save an attachment in a mail message, the window that pops up automatically jumps to "This PC" EVERY TIME which sits at the BOTTOM OF THE WINDOW, very very far away from my "Quick Access" pinned folders...
  3. saving a doc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    saving a doc: I have a lot of OneDrive folders, and when I go to save a new document or save an attachment in a mail message, the window that pops up automatically jumps to "This PC" EVERY TIME which sits at the BOTTOM OF THE WINDOW, very very far away from my "Quick Access" pinned folders...
  4. opening/saving Word doc attachments in GMail to File Explorer not to Google Docs/Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    opening/saving Word doc attachments in GMail to File Explorer not to Google Docs/Drive: For the past few days, my Word doc GMail attachments automatically save/download to Google Docs rather than to File Explorer, as it always did before. When I try to open from Download folder in File Explorer, it tries to open then I get a message "The operating system is not...
  5. Move default save locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Move default save locations: Hi guys a little help please I recently did a clean install of windows 10 Version 20H2 build 19042.746 during this install OneDrive was also installed after having problems with OneDrive I uninstalled it but it had changed the default save locations on three folders...
  6. moving doc folder to D drive

moving doc folder to D drive: I'm signed in as an Administrator but when I open the properties in my C drive Documents folder there is no location tab. How do I get it to show up? Thank you......
  7. Trying to save doc. files

Trying to save doc. files: When I tried to save a World document the system asks me to log in and complete Hello registration. Before that moment I had completed Hello registration and set up PIN but I noticed that Hello is not available on my computer. How can I save docs?...
  8. Saving file location defaults

Saving file location defaults: So specifically with PDF files. When I do a "save as" or sign with a digital signature, it brings up the explorer window. The explorer window opens to the file location of the last file I saved a PDF in. I would like explorer to default the the folder the file I am working...
  9. Locating saved files

in Windows 10 Support
    Locating saved files: Windows 10 seems to have a mind of its own when I save files. I use "Save as"the first time and expect it to continue saving to the same location that I specified initially. But no, click on "Save" and it saves it in any one of a number of places so I end up with several...
  10. Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Music Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Music folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this Music...