Windows 10: Moving my OS drive to backup system.

Discus and support Moving my OS drive to backup system. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My current system is no longer usable. The PCI-E slot on it is malfunctioning and aside from just browsing the net I can't do anything lest the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SergeyAgapov1, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Moving my OS drive to backup system.

My current system is no longer usable. The PCI-E slot on it is malfunctioning and aside from just browsing the net I can't do anything lest the system either freezes or crushes. I have an old computer that works just fine as my backup system. I thought of moving my OS drive to this system, but having issues booting. All I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor after the post. The drive is recognized properly, but past post nothing happens. I tried another SSD I have that contains Windows 7 trial version and that drive boots perfectly into the OS. I really do not want to reinstall everything I have once more. There are very many applications with very specific settings that would take me forever to redo if I have to reinstall.

The older system (backup) was a prebuilt system that my friend gave me when he had me build him a new system. It has a very basic BIOS and the only thing that stood out for me in it (for whatever reason) is that it had a "secure boot" feature and the rest were just the barebones usual stuff. It cannot even detect USB drives at boot.

What can I do, if anything, to boot the backup system with this drive?

Thanks.

I know I should just buy and build a new system for myself, but I can no longer afford to do that so this backup system is my best option.

:)

SergeyAgapov1, Aug 9, 2018

2. Change Drive for Backup and System Image

Yes, I know the System Image is of the drive that contains the OS. That's why the system image cannot be saved/stored on the same drive as the OS. So, that wasn't my question.

I originally set up weekly System Image and Backup of C:\ drive on my E:\ drive thinking I would have enough space. It is now apparent that I don't. I want to change the System Image and C:\ drive Backup to my D:\ drive. I can't figure out how to get rid
    of the settings for performing this weekly on the E:\ drive so that I can then set it up to do it on the D:\ drive.

GregCowling, Aug 9, 2018
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Change Drive for Backup and System Image

Hi Greg,

The designated backup drive on your PC is the drive where your OS has been installed. To change your designated backup drive, you need to move your OS to another drive. You can move your OS by completely uninstalling and reinstalling Windows
    10. You can also move your operating system by using a third-party software.

Note: Uninstalling and reinstalling Windows will remove all your backup images and third-party applications that moves your operating system to another drive is use at your won risk.

Should you have more concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Moving my OS drive to backup system.

little cat, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

Moving my OS drive to backup system.

1. Moving my OS drive to backup system. - Similar Threads - Moving drive backup

2. How to move My windows OS to another drive??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move My windows OS to another drive??: I have a really full C drive since it only has 100GB on my laptop. I have another drive that is 500 gb which I am using and is integrated in the laptop that I want to move windows to. I first of all- dont want to lose any data my D: drive already has data and apps in it so...
  3. How to move My windows OS to another drive??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move My windows OS to another drive??: I have a really full C drive since it only has 100GB on my laptop. I have another drive that is 500 gb which I am using and is integrated in the laptop that I want to move windows to. I first of all- dont want to lose any data my D: drive already has data and apps in it so...
  4. Moving OS Drive To A New Build

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS Drive To A New Build: Hi, hope this is the right forum. just wanting to check i'm good to go on a system rebuild; as per my other thread, i've got some new parts [mobo, cpu, DDR4, PSU] that i'm going to put into my build that has become flaky. after chats on another forum, i discovered you can now...
  5. System Image Backup Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image Backup Drives: I purchased a Toshiba 2TB external hard drive-I made a system image from that. I decided something did not feel right about the drive, the drive was an awkward looking size. I deleted the system image and returned it. I had almost 6 hours of back up on this drive and it...
  6. Moving OS to other drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving OS to other drive: Hello everyone, as the title says, I want to move the OS to another drive, but, I want to do that without removing the other files on it. I also wouldn't really like to reinstall WIndows, but if absolutely necessary, I will do that. Can anyone be of help for me?...
  7. Can't move my OS to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't move my OS to another drive: Trying to move Windows 10 from my 120GB SSD to a new 500 GB SSD, but I'm getting an error: Windows did not find any disk which it can use for recreating volumes present in backup. (0x80042414) Here's what I've tried so far: Following these instructions, I've created a...
  8. Moving OS to a differnt drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving OS to a differnt drive: I recently upgraded my computers storage and put in a M.2 Drive wd green with 240GB and I was wanted to move my whole OS to the drive, which is currently on my 1tb HDD. it would be idea if I didn't have to recent my computer. Please help, thank you....
  9. [Solved] Moving my OS drive to backup system.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    [Solved] Moving my OS drive to backup system.: My current system is no longer usable. The PCI-E slot on it is malfunctioning and aside from just browsing the net I can't do anything lest the system either freezes or crushes. I have an old computer that works just fine as my backup system. I thought of moving my OS drive...
  10. Backup of System drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup of System drive.: I hope this is the right forum for this question which is to do with backing up Windows 10. I have recently purchased a new laptop which came with Windows 8 and a 1TB hard drive which I partitioned into two - one for the OS (Drive C) and the other for data (Drive F). The...