Windows 10: Moving shortcut to another folder drops icon

Discus and support Moving shortcut to another folder drops icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is my first week with Windows 10 and I'm just starting to install my software. Usually I move the desktop shortcut created from software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rivre, Jun 26, 2016.

1. rivre Win User

Moving shortcut to another folder drops icon

This is my first week with Windows 10 and I'm just starting to install my software. Usually I move the desktop shortcut created from software installation to a custom folder where I keep all my shortcuts organized by category. In Windows 10, if I move the shortcut from the desktop to another folder, the shortcut drops the software's custom icon. Then I have to select file properties for the shortcut, select "change icon", select the program's custom icon (which is shown underneath), click OK, then apply, continue, then ok. Then I have to do it all a second time! Then the icon is applied and visible for the shortcut. It doesn't work until I do this twice for each shortcut icon I move.

Why does this happen? I never had to deal with this in Windows 7. I could just move the shortcut and the icon carries over. This is a lot of extra work. Is there some way of eliminating this hassle?

:)

rivre, Jun 26, 2016

2. How to move favorites around in Edge

Click on the Hub (lines) icon where the 6 icons are at the top of the web page near the insert note icon (the square with a pen). This will show your Favourites. Click and hold the folder/shortcut you want to move from; e.g. shopping - clothes.
    Drag to the favourites title at the top of the Favourites drop-down box. Hold it over it until it changes to "move", then drop it and it will move to another area in the Favourites; all you need to do then is locate the folder or shortcut in Favourites
    and move it to another folder. There seems to be no way of moving these into a particular folder directly as in internet explorer. It's a 2 or 3 stage process depending where you are moving it to.

foldergone, Jun 26, 2016
  3. e.gray Win User
    How to move favorites around in Edge

So, the folks on the Windows Insider program have been testing a new version of Edge that has a "tree view" for favorites. It makes moving favorites/folders between folders a lot easier (no more 2-3 stage process). It is likely that this new feature will
    be available with the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 that is expected to be available in July.

However, you don't have to wait... the 3rd-partly application mentioned several posts back will do this now.

e.gray, Jun 26, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 26, 2016
  5. rivre Win User
    This made no difference. What I found is it doesn't show the icon if my folder view is set to list mode. If I change view mode to Icon mode, then the icons are visible in whatever size I select in view mode.

However, if I go through the procedure I listed above, then it does give me the tiny icon that is viewable in list mode. But I have to select the icon manually, every time, twice, before it is visible. Otherwise the icon is a generic shortcut icon. Why is this? This wasn't the case with Windows 7. Even in list view I could move the shortcut and the icon would carry over. This is a lot of extra work for every shortcut I move.

It also doesn't seem to happen for every shortcut. Some shortcuts carry over with the icon showing and some I have to manually select the icon for it to display.

rivre, Jun 26, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Does refreshing (F5) the folder view in the folder help any?

Brink, Jun 26, 2016
  7. rivre Win User
    Nope, tried that. Really weird. Windows 7 never showed this behavior.

rivre, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving shortcut to another folder drops icon - Similar Threads - Moving shortcut another

2. System hangs using drag-and-drop to move files from one folder to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System hangs using drag-and-drop to move files from one folder to another: WORKING ON ITThe screen dump on right above is a bit too small to read. Above the "I want to..." it says "Working on it"DUMP REQUIRED I wanted to get a system dump for troubleshooting a situation where File Explorer was hung "working on it" when I had executed a drag-and-drop...
  3. System hangs using drag-and-drop to move files from one folder to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System hangs using drag-and-drop to move files from one folder to another: WORKING ON ITThe screen dump on right above is a bit too small to read. Above the "I want to..." it says "Working on it"DUMP REQUIRED I wanted to get a system dump for troubleshooting a situation where File Explorer was hung "working on it" when I had executed a drag-and-drop...
  4. System hangs using drag-and-drop to move files from one folder to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving desktop folder to another drive

Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  6. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  7. Moving Folders to Another Drive

Moving Folders to Another Drive: I wanted to move some folders to another drive and found this article, https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-move-your-default-data-folders-to-a-different-drive/#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20move%2C%20open,new%20location%20for%20that%20folder.I followed the steps to move...
  8. Moving the orginal file when drag and dropping a shortcut

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving the orginal file when drag and dropping a shortcut: Hello! Sadly google cant help me with this one so I thought why not open a post? But lets get to my question. I got a folder with shortcuts to differnt pictures which are in different folders. Is there a way to easy move the original data by drag and dropping the shortcut?...
  9. Moving Public Folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Public Folder to another drive: I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space. The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files...
  10. "move to folder" and "copy to folder" drop down menus

in Windows 10 Support
    "move to folder" and "copy to folder" drop down menus: Is there a way to specify the folders that are listed when one clicks on "copy to folder" or "move to folder" in the context menu? Many choices are displayed, but not necessarily the ones I want to access. 101597

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Moving windows 10 shortcut to another folder drops icon