Windows 10: Moving System Disk From One MoBo to Another

Discus and support Moving System Disk From One MoBo to Another in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey folks - Yes, I know this is a silly idea, but bear with me please. My current system is an Asus X99-based Rampage V Extreme board, which I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jasonvp, Oct 25, 2017.

1. jasonvp Win User

Moving System Disk From One MoBo to Another

Hey folks -

Yes, I know this is a silly idea, but bear with me please. My current system is an Asus X99-based Rampage V Extreme board, which I'm about to replace. I was fortunate enough to squeak one of NewEgg's latest shipments of the Asus Rampage VI Extreme, so that's incoming. The intent is to replace the motherboard, CPU, and RAM in my system, leaving the GPUs and SoundBlaster as is. Along with all of the storage.

Right now, I have an updated Win10 Pro installation on a Samsung 960 Pro NVMe drive. If I move it over to the new motherboard without reinstalling Windows, should it boot? I'd expect that if it does boot, it'd do so complaining about driver miss-matching (different NICs, different chipset, etc). But should it boot?

I am fully prepared to do a complete format/re-install as needed, of course. But I figured I'd try this dumb idea, first. Any guesses as to whether it'll succeed?

:)

jasonvp, Oct 25, 2017

2. moving Gravity from one phone to another

Any word on this? i emailed them but no reply

richwhite---01, Oct 25, 2017
  3. grschinon Win User
    moving Gravity from one phone to another

You should check with mobileways.de to see if you can't transfer the licence from one phone to the other.

grschinon, Oct 25, 2017
  4. Moving System Disk From One MoBo to Another

First welcome to the forum, what you want to try , Microsoft may have a problem with. You are moving a drive with windows 10 from one system to another. May not activate. Maybe if you image your Windows 10 using a product such as Macrium Reflect, then change what you need to and then restore the Image. If it does not activate, a Phone call to MS should clear it up. Hardware failure. If it does not boot you maybe able to perform an in place upgrade repair.

Josey Wales, Oct 25, 2017
  5. jasonvp Win User
    Yeah, I figured that if the system booted, it would be unhappy and need re-activating. I've done that before with previous versions of Windows, so I have no issues calling MS up. I was more curious if the Windows 10 installation should have all that's needed to boot properly on an entirely new chipset.

jasonvp, Oct 25, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    There's a 90% chance that Windows 10 will boot, it will give you a message for a couple minutes something along the lines of "Installing new devices", and then load and run happily ever after.

Here's the way Microsoft has provided to move the digital license from the old computer to new computer:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

The two things that will keep Windows 10 from just adapting to the new hardware seamlessly are:

1. One computer was/is legacy BIOS using MBR type partitioning and other computer is/was UEFI using GPT type partitioning.

2. The two computers use different brands of SATA controllers and a brand specific SATA controller driver was installed. The way to prevent that from causing a hang is to delete the entry in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Then hold down the shift key when you click on shutdown from the power button on the start menu. Then move the drive over to the new computer.

My daughter's laptop needed to be sent back for warranty repair. I took the SSD out of her laptop, stuck it in a spare laptop, completely different make and model. Then when she got her own laptop back, moved the SSD back to it. Windows 10 adapted to the 2 moves just fine.

NavyLCDR, Oct 25, 2017
  7. USE MR in case it does not boot at least you will have an image you can restore. I would think that did is not legacy bios so there may be a possibility that it won't.

Josey Wales, Oct 25, 2017
  8. jasonvp Win User

Both boards are using Asus' UEFI, so I don't expect that to be much of an issue. And the SATA controller won't come into play at all here since it's an NVMe drive.

jasonvp, Oct 25, 2017
  9. Well that is good go for it. You have very little to lose but I would make an image.

Josey Wales, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving System Disk From One MoBo to Another - Similar Threads - Moving System Disk

2. Moving Windows Licence from Another disk.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows Licence from Another disk.: Hello. I bought a new PC without any system. I wanted to move my old system to new computer but I couldn't. My new computer refused to start the system on the older disk so I decided to make a manual instalation on it. I've installed the system from a pendrive and then it...
  3. Moving Windows Licence from Another disk.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows Licence from Another disk.: Hello. I bought a new PC without any system. I wanted to move my old system to new computer but I couldn't. My new computer refused to start the system on the older disk so I decided to make a manual instalation on it. I've installed the system from a pendrive and then it...
  4. Moving Windows Licence from Another disk.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  6. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  7. Files moved from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files moved from one drive to another: Hello,So recently my files have been moved from one drive to another, my files in drive C: are now in drive F:, and the ones in drive F: are now in drive E:, and I'm logged into a default user instead of mine. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?...
  8. Moving to another disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving to another disk: How to move everything (files, programs, games and etc) from one non-system disk to another? Symbolic links will not work, because the old disk will be disabled after the transfer. submitted by /u/bogdan_nickitin [link] [comments]...
  9. How to move the whole Windows from one internal disk to another?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to move the whole Windows from one internal disk to another?: I just bought a Lenovo ThinkPad E585 laptop with Windows 10 Pro preinstalled on the internal NVMe SSD (256 GB). I added a new SATA3 SSD (512 GB), and I need to move the whole Windows OS to this drive. I have the original Windows license key. How can I do it? - Should I...
  10. Moving the System partition from one disk to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving the System partition from one disk to another: Hello everybody, I'm having an issue with the setup of my Windows 10 computer. I'm pretty lost right now. A few months ago, I've installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 in disk 0 (SSD). Because I had several work files, during installation I've maintained an old disk also...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to move Windows to another mobo