Windows 10: Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD

Discus and support Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a friend whose IDE hard drive is failing. He wants to replace it with a SSD. The cloning process won't work because of the drive (clicking).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Slovacek78, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD

I have a friend whose IDE hard drive is failing. He wants to replace it with a SSD. The cloning process won't work because of the drive (clicking). How can he get his Windows 10 moved?

:)

Slovacek78, Aug 21, 2018

2. Moving Win10 from an HDD to an SSD

I have a pre-built PC that came with Windows 8.1. Since then I've upgraded to Windows 10 (free upgrade). Now I think it's time to start upgrading my PC's hardware piece by piece. One of the pieces to be changed is the hard drive, I'm thinking of getting
    a 500 or so GB SSD.

My question is can I move my installation of Windows 10 to the SSD, and will it retain its licence if I do?

I don't need to move a full image of the current HDD, I can reinstall everything but the Windows. One problem is the PC didn't come with a recovery disc or a written license number for Windows, the recovery thingies are in a separate partition on the one
    HDD.

Bora Basaran, Aug 21, 2018
  3. YuanSR Win User
    Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

Get a disk cloning software and do the cloning job, from HDD to SSD on PC.

Change boot priority to cloned SSD in BIOS or remove HDD to test if you can boot up successfully.

Cloning method is safe but still it is good to create a backup image for your Win10 before you start.

For detailed steps with screenshots, you may need:
    migrate Windows 10 to SSD without data loss

YuanSR, Aug 21, 2018
  4. Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD

Appdata Roaming move from SSD to HDD

Hi, recently bought a laptop with an ssd and a hdd. What i noticed was that every time i downloaded something, even though it was located in HDD, the SSD still took up space. I already moved the download, documents, etc. to the HDD.

Then i noticed that whatever i download gets into the appdata/roaming folder as well, so is it ok to move the Roaming folder from SSD to HDD?

Allen Wang (alle0031), Aug 21, 2018
Thema:

Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD

1. Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD - Similar Threads - Moving Win10 failing

2. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  3. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  4. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Moving win10 from hdd to m2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving win10 from hdd to m2: Hi, I have a laptop and I bought a new Samsung 500GB m2 , I want to move windows from the old hdd to m2 , but I want to keep the hdd too. So how should I do it? Should I move it without formatting? and how ? Or is it better to fromat the hdd and clean install it on m2 ?...
  8. Move data from ssd to hdd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move data from ssd to hdd?: I built my pc yesterday, installed everything and my 250gb ssd is already full. How can I move my files from the ssd to the hdd? Thanks a lot! Daten von ssd auf hdd verschieben?
  9. Moving Windows 10 from SSD to HDD due to SSD failing

Moving Windows 10 from SSD to HDD due to SSD failing: Can someone help, My SSD has windows 10 on it, however due to the size of it (128GB) it's limited. I have purchased another SSD but due to my HP Omen Laptop having a digital license and no key visible, I would like my OS to be stored on my 1TB HDD which is already installed...
  10. Moving from HDD to SSD

Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...