Windows 10: Moving win10 hard drive

Discus and support Moving win10 hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to build another computer. Is it possible to move my existing Windows 10 hard drive to my new motherboard without having to format and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ronnielee09, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Moving win10 hard drive

I want to build another computer. Is it possible to move my existing Windows 10 hard drive to my new motherboard without having to format and reinstalling windows 10? Will everything boot up as before?*Rolleyes

:)

Ronnielee09, Jun 22, 2016

2. user directory

is it possible to move a user directory to different hard drive (not partition) on PM running Win10 Pro?

Mark Erato, Jun 22, 2016
  3. Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

No bait and switch. Unfortunate, yes.

The Win10 upgrade license was solely for the device that the upgrade was performed upon. Moving the hard drive from that device to another device(i.e. your newer computer) is outside bounds of the Win10 upgrade licensing thus the activation failure.

i.e. the free upgrade is tied to the device(original computer upgraded)
    not a piece(the hard drive) of the device moved to another computer.

G. Winston Natoli MS MVP, Jun 22, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Moving win10 hard drive

Yep. Did it myself. Windows 10 is very tolerant of detecting and handling new hardware. The biggest issue you will have is if the old computer was legacy bios and the disk is MBR and the new computer is UEFI which boots from GPT.

Windows 10 will not be activated automatically on the new motherboard, however.

NavyLCDR, Jun 22, 2016
  5. Thanks. Will I be able to activate Win 10?

Ronnielee09, Jun 22, 2016
  6. Porthos Win User
    Purchase a new key. New motherboard=New computer. New computer= New key.

Porthos, Jun 22, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    He doesn't have to purchase a new key if the existing product key is for a retail version of Windows.

If you have a retail Windows product key - but you will only be able to do it for free before July 29th if that retail product key is for Windows 7/8/8.1.

A problem you might run into if you are using a Windows 7/8/8.1 retail product key is that Windows 10 might come back and say the product key is in use on another computer. You have two options at that point - 1. Call Microsoft and hope they will activate it for you. 2. Temporarily install the Windows 7/8/8.1 the product key is for on either a new partition or a temporary hard drive, or a temporary virtual hard drive (VHD). Activate the Windows 7/8/8.1 over the phone. I recommend grabbing the genuineticket.xml file as a safeguard. Then you should be able to go back to the Windows 10 and activate it.

If you transfer a retail Windows product key, you cannot re-install that Windows back on the old computer. One product key = one install of Windows.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Moving win10 hard drive

1. Moving win10 hard drive - Similar Threads - Moving win10 hard

2. Win10 Is "Picky" About Moving Hard Drives Around

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 Is "Picky" About Moving Hard Drives Around: Every few years I add another storage drive to my computer or upgrade the capacity. I have noticed some quirks about Win10 new drives & swapping drives around. These are all SATA 3 drives on a PCI-e motherboard - so what position on a cable or spot they are plugged into the...
  3. Hard drive move

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard drive move: Haven't seen this question yet. I have an Intel NUC-7. A lightning strike killed this computer and every electronic device in my office. I desire to replace the NUC-7 with a NUC-10 barebones. The 500GB SSD, spinning 2TB HD and the 32GB RAM may have survived. I can move these...
  4. Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7: Hello, I'm not sure if this is even a Windows issue but I thought I'd try to see if maybe anyone can shed some insight as to what the heck is going on with my computer! I have a HDD with Win7 installed and as a partition from way back when. I've since gotten a SSD with...
  5. Moving a hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving a hard drive: I have a windows 7 home (64 bit) desktop and a windows 10 pro (64 bit) ver 1903 desktop. Can I pull the 350gb storage hard drive from the windows 7 pc and install it in the windows 10 pc (both pcs are SATA) without loosing any of the files on the hard drive. Can I just move...
  6. Moving hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving hard drive: I have a windows 10 computer that is having mother board problem and another similar computer that the hard drive crashed. can I switch the good hard drive to the other computer...
  7. Moving to a New Hard drive

Moving to a New Hard drive: So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my old drive since it is entirely dead I still have Windows 10 connected to my account so, how do I get my account in Windows...
  8. after hard drive move

after hard drive move: I did this------Received many answers so i just switched the harddrive I have asked this in the community before and have conflicting reply I have an old working comp gateway gt 5014 pent d 2.80 win 10 with 4 gig ram I would like to remove hdrive and put into a hp hpe210f...
  9. hard drive move

hard drive move: I have ask this before and have conflicting reply I have an old working comp gateway gt 5014 pent d 2.80 win 10 with 4 gig ram I woulld like to remove hdrive and put into a hp hpe210f amd phenom ii 945 quad 8 gig of ram not sure if this box was upgrades had win7 but...
  10. Moving Win10 C Drive to the 'left'

Moving Win10 C Drive to the 'left': I reinstalled Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive from an ISO but left a partition in front of the C Drive with 137 GB on it, plus another unallocated space at the very front of the drive with 500 MB. It's a long story about how this came to pass but the fact is that it did. The...