Windows 10: Moving Win10 (upgrade Win7 Full Retail Licence) to another PC

Discus and support Moving Win10 (upgrade Win7 Full Retail Licence) to another PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I have on my laptop a win10 pro installation that was a fresh install using the win7 pro (retail) key. I have just used ShowKeyPlus and it says... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kevvyb, Jan 10, 2017.

1. kevvyb Win User

Moving Win10 (upgrade Win7 Full Retail Licence) to another PC

Hi
    I have on my laptop a win10 pro installation that was a fresh install using the win7 pro (retail) key.

I have just used ShowKeyPlus and it says that a "Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware". Is this correct? Does it stop me from moving this licence to a new laptop? Should it?

Although it is a year since I used the Win7 Pro key I don't recognise the one that has appeared in ShowKeyPlus - might it be a new one for win10 based on the win7 key? Or should it be the Win7 key?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

:)

kevvyb, Jan 10, 2017

2. Upgrading from a retail Windows 7/8.X, what happens if I upgrade my hardware to Skylake (new motherboard / cpu) ?

Hi,

I don't understand how a user who has updated a retail Win7/8 pro with the actual free upgrade can upgrade his workstation hardware without facing activation problems?

If there's no Activation Key with free upgrade (I own a retail Win7 Pro and didn't receive anything from MS), if the PC is upgraded with
    Skylake hardware (available in 7 days), when Win10 is installed on new hardware, there's no key to enter and "hardware
    id" is different?!

Some people say that the free upgrade transform the old "retail" licence to
    OEM licence (linked to one hardware configuration).

1) How the free upgrade can preserve/transfer retail version rights?

2) Is it safe to update a retail version with free win10 upgrade now and change hardware later?

Thanks

LeVieuxBadrush, Jan 10, 2017
  3. Windows 10 upgraded from FPP/Retail license - TRANSFER to *completely new hardware* - HOW EXACTLY?

Bro, the first thing I tried when Win10 came out was clean installing it on my old HW (w/o the whole upgrade thing). When I tried to install it via a USB drive it asked me for my key and I obviously didn't have one so I tried my Win8.1 retail
    key, but it didn't work. So I bypassed the initial "key request" that comes during Win install, using ImageX and I managed to do a clean Win10 install (keep in mind that at this point my old HW is still not marked as Win10). Then when I got to the Win10 desktop
    I tried to activate it again with my Win8.1 retail key (on a PC that is obviously marked as a retail Win8.1 PC) but it still didn't work, it said the key was an invalid Win10 key. So I did a clean Win8.1 install and upgraded it to Win10. AND LATER
    ON when I tried to find the Win10 product key on my old HW using the command prompt so I could do a clean install using that key on my new HW,
    I got nothing on my CMD!! go ahead try it for yourself on your Win10

just type the following command on an elevated CMD prompt

WMIC Path SoftwareLicensingService Get OA3xOriginalProductKey

I have used EVERY Windows since Win95 and I know MICROSOFT, they are NOT generous enough to just give away Win10 like this. My guess is (and it is JUST a guess) They are not giving away Win10 (retail licences anyway). When they see an upgrade request from
    a PC that is running genuine Win8.1 or Win7 they just "allow" that PC's hardware signature to use genuine Win10 and that Win10 license is not transferable (even if it was upgraded from a retail Win licence). If you want a transferable Win10, you will have
    to buy a retail Win10 for $199.99

But guys this might even work to our advantage. Since Microsoft is just
    marking PC HW as Win10 and not actually giving out actual licences, I don't think we have to buy anymore Windows Licences during the free period. I mean if we have a retail Win8.1 or Win7 we could install it on 4 PCs (one at a time) and upgrade
    each one of them to Win10 one by one and then we would have 4 PCs running "Genuine" Win10 and still have an "untied" Win 8.1 or Win7 licence to install on a 5th PC

Nuren Shams, Jan 10, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

So your removing win10 from one of and putting it on another is that correct? Being a new PC you should buy a new copy of Windows

Samuria, Jan 10, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
    It`s most likely the generic W10 key.

Why would you have to move anything, the new laptop will come with W10.

AddRAM, Jan 10, 2017
  6. SIW2 Win User
    Probably doesn't come with Pro.

He could try transferring the Pro installation to another partition on the new machine. It might activate via his MS account.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes

No.

The product key shown as the Installed Key will be the product key that is currently installed on the installed operating system. So if it is an activated version of Windows, the product key shown there will be for that version of Windows.

When you do an in place upgrade from Windows 7 or 8, the old product key from that Windows 7 or 8 will be shown as the "Original Key".

If you did a clean install of Windows 10, then used the Windows 7 product key to activate it, I do not believe it will show up as the "Original Key". The Original Key will only show up if you did an in place upgrade of Windows 7 or 8.
    @Superfly, can you confirm the last statement, please?

NavyLCDR, Jan 11, 2017
  8. Superfly Win User

Affirmative.

The Win 7 key used to activate Win 10 will only be used to create a Genuine Ticket for the activation server to provide a digital licence. It won't be retained.

As you correctly stated - the only time a non-Win 10 key will be stored on a Win 10 installation is if it was an upgrade from a previous version of Windows - it will then display as the "Original key"

Superfly, Jan 11, 2017
  9. kevvyb Win User
    Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful.

kevvyb, Jan 11, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Absolutely incorrect. It is totally permissible to reinstall Windows 10 on new pc, if upgraded from a retail licence of Windows 7 (Section 4b - EULA).

OP - all you need to do is ensure you are using version 1607 on old pc, and logged in with an MS account. Then install 1607 on new pc, and use the activation troubleshooter to transfer the digital licence to new PC, and then delete Windows from old PC.

cereberus, Jan 11, 2017
  11. kevvyb Win User
    My god there is a lot of misinformation out there then....

kevvyb, Jan 11, 2017
  12. kevvyb Win User
    cereberus, I don't have my installation linked to a Microsoft account. Could I link it then cut that link again to revert to local account?

kevvyb, Jan 11, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

No as that cuts the link. But you only need to use account to link, then transfer licence. At that point, you can revert to a local account.

cereberus, Jan 11, 2017
  14. Superfly Win User
    The MSA is just to store your original licence.. after that you are free to use local after transfer to the new PC.

Superfly, Jan 11, 2017
  15. kevvyb Win User
    Thanks. So that EULA doesn't explicitly say the licence can be moved to a new machine but I suppose you are saying that is how it is interpreted.

By "type of device" does the EULA mean PC to PC, laptop to laptop" etc

kevvyb, Jan 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Moving Win10 (upgrade Win7 Full Retail Licence) to another PC - Similar Threads - Moving Win10 upgrade

2. Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC: Hi all,I have a retail version of Win10 on my current 10-year old PC and have located the partial product key and other details found via the command prompt. I'm ordering a new custom PC and obviously want to transfer my Win10 across. After a quick online search, the...
  3. Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC: Hi all,I have a retail version of Win10 on my current 10-year old PC and have located the partial product key and other details found via the command prompt. I'm ordering a new custom PC and obviously want to transfer my Win10 across. After a quick online search, the...
  4. Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?: I have a PC that started at Win7 home OEM. It was free upgraded to Win10 home. I purchased a win10 pro retail key. If I use the key, will I end up with a Win10 pro retail? There are benefits to having retail versions....
  6. Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail

Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail: As the subject line states... I have 2 PCs. One with a HOME retail key and one with no key but is an older PC ... let say it currently has no OS. I want to upgrade this newer PC from HOME retail to PRO retail. I have already retrieved the HOME key and saved into a text...
  7. Windows 10 Pro full retail licence

Windows 10 Pro full retail licence: I have a PC running with a full Windows 10 Pro retail licence. I need to replace this PC it is failing with a new build and I understand I can use the same licence on the new PC if I uninstall the licence from my current PC. It is on a USB with a product key. I have two...
  8. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  9. Moving windows 10 retail to another PC

Moving windows 10 retail to another PC: Hello. I have the following problem. I have windows 10 Retail (i used the slmgr -dli command to check) installed on a PC which I will replace in the near future. I have installed the same version on a new PC in order to use that one instead. I have used the slmgr /upk and...
  10. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...