Windows 10: Moving Windows 10 Libraries to 2nd HD w/Win 7 on it

Discus and support Moving Windows 10 Libraries to 2nd HD w/Win 7 on it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 on my SSD & Windows 7 on a WD 1TB hard drive. I have not added anything to the hard drive since installing Windows 7. I want to move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Moolah, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Moolah Win User

Moving Windows 10 Libraries to 2nd HD w/Win 7 on it

I have Windows 10 on my SSD & Windows 7 on a WD 1TB hard drive. I have not added anything to the hard drive since installing Windows 7. I want to move the Libraries on Windows 10 to the hard drive. Do I need to partition the drive to do this? If so, what size do I need? What other steps are required?

:)

Moolah, Aug 7, 2016
  2. Andrew E. Win User

Windows 10 Reactivation

How was Win 10 installed with new pc hardware,or was the HD simply moved from old pc to

new pc configuration...Either wat,the default way would be to boot pc to Win 10 cd (set in BIOS

cd w/Win 10 installed as 1st boot priority/HD second),at cd boot menu/delete partition/create one/

format/Win 10 installs auto...However if its a simple product key,R.click my computer/properties/

in new window,go to bottom, select "Change settings" change with proper key...Also,to chk,in

run type: WinVer

Andrew E., Aug 7, 2016
  3. How to: Dual Boot Windows 7 or Windows 8 with Windows 10 Installed First

I agree you & J W Stuart ought be friends, not competitors.

But his removal of Win 7 was better...

(a) Boot to Win 10.

(b) In MSConfig, Boot tab, select & set the Win 10 OS to be the default, if necessary.

(c) In MSConfig, Boot tab, select & delete the Win 7 boot entry.

[Not sure, possibly this also would accomplish (b).]

(d) In Disk Management, delete the Win 7 partition.

(e) In Disk Management, extend Win 10 into the newly unallocated space.

Pretty neat how easy it is to undo a dual boot when the OS to remove was the 2nd one to be installed. The 2nd one has its recovery environment with it, instead of it being a separate partition.

If it were Win 10 to be removed, the above would do it (switching Win 10 with Win 7 in the instructions). However, you're left with Win 10's useless recovery partition. I'd want to delete that, put Win 7's recovery tools into that space, & use ReagentC to
    point Win 7 to it.

PCR Just PCR, Aug 7, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi Moolah!
    You can move specific user files separately (Downloads, Music, Photos...) or all together (all User files).
    For specific files, right click on that folder in Explorer and select tab named Location. There you have option "Move". It is the same as in Windows 7...

Size depends of your files. I suggest you to install free program, that will list the size of all folders: Treesize free. It will give idea about size needed. Below is picture for Documents location.

About separate partition. 1st you have to have enough empty place on disk. In disk management you right click on disk (hdd) and select shrink. In empty space create new simple partition...

Second option is for advance users. You can move all Users files. Here are tutorials by Kari:
    Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

AndreTen, Aug 7, 2016
  5. Moolah Win User
    Just to be sure I understand.....I do have to partition my 1 TB hard drive & put the Windows 10 folders on it, right?

Moolah, Aug 7, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    Here is one way explained by @AndreTen

[youtube]kM1vedqMHew[/youtube]

essenbe, Aug 7, 2016
  7. AndreTen Win User
    It is not mandatory to use separate partition for user files, bit it is wise (in my opinion). I am used to make separate partition for system & application and separate one for data (user files, downloads etc.)

Regarding to size of that partitions: it is up to you - how many applications you use. Since you have separate SSD for your system and only Windows 7 on your hard drive, I would left approximately 100 - 120 GB for Windows 7 (more, if you have a lot of used space) and make the rest as separate partition.

If you have user files under Windows 7 system, move that files first to the new partition - look at the video tutorial above. (kindly provided by @essenbe).
    After that repeat the process for Windows 10 system and you will have dual boot system with only one set of User files in separate partition.

Word of caution: this will work for separate user libraries, am not sure about appdata folders - because those could be system specific.

Here is disk management picture of my system with 240 GB SSD and 1 TB hard disk, dual booting Windows 10 (SSD) and Windows 8.1 (on hard disk) with user libraries on hard disk separate partition. This organization is just one of many possibilities *Smile

AndreTen, Aug 7, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

Moving folders using the method in the video does not move the AppData folder. If you use this method, it will.

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving Windows 10 Libraries to 2nd HD w/Win 7 on it - Similar Threads - Moving Libraries 2nd

2. Move from Win 7 to Win 10, installation on older PC.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move from Win 7 to Win 10, installation on older PC.: Hello, it is good idea now move from Win 7 to Win 10? I have heard that Win 10 21H2 will be last build before Win 11, so make sense wait until it come? I dont want reinstall my OS every 6 months, that is why i stuck on Win 7. There is no hurry for me leave Win 7, i only move...
  3. Upgrade w 7 to W 10

Upgrade w 7 to W 10: Hello, Cannot upgrade w 7 to w 10 getrs locked to infinite 0 does not move even after severasl hours akso try differently by placing the ESO on the desktop and uploading after, still the same result How can this work normally ? Please hlep Thank you...
  4. Moving and editing Windows 7 pictures on my new W-10 machine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving and editing Windows 7 pictures on my new W-10 machine: I moved the pictures on a thumb drive, and found them broken into files based on date, even though I never did that. Tried creating an album, and got some pictures into it, but cannot name them, and it start editing without my authority. Seems also after putting them into...
  5. how to move storage folders from w 7, wlm to wlm in win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to move storage folders from w 7, wlm to wlm in win 10: I have w 7 with wlm and need to move only the storage folders to wlm in w 10 39724
  6. Move a software program from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move a software program from Win 7 to Win 10: I have a program on my Windows 7 computer of which I have lost the installation CD . Is there any way to somehow move the program from my old computer to my new Windows 10 OS on my new computer? The program is Omron Health Management Software. I contacted Omron for a new CD....
  7. Win 10 will not use my 2nd monitor after upgrade from Win 7

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Win 10 will not use my 2nd monitor after upgrade from Win 7: ​​​Hi all, Eric from Florida here, with my first problem that I can't solve​. First, the soft facts, my system is as follows: Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 32-bit. AMD Catalyst Software Suite v 15.20.1062.1004, which the software update function says is current....
  8. Advice, please: Win8.1 w/HD 7850 on Crimson release > Win 10

Advice, please: Win8.1 w/HD 7850 on Crimson release > Win 10: Re: Windows 8.1 Pro with AMD HD 7850 on the new Crimson release Planned upgrade to Windows 10 Pro [1511] via USB installation Should I uninstall the Crimson software + driver prior to running the upgrade to Windows 10 [1511] and then install Crimson for 10? Or can I...
  9. Just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. My 2nd monitor is not working

Just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. My 2nd monitor is not working: My computer is a recently purchased Dell with the Intel Graphics HD 530 display adapter. The outputs are one HDMI port (Monitor 1) and one display D-port (Monitor 2). I am connected to a pair of identical Samsung monitors. The D-port is routed through a passive display...
  10. Replacing Windows 7 on HD 1 with Windows 10 on HD 2?

Replacing Windows 7 on HD 1 with Windows 10 on HD 2?: Hi! I upgraded to build 10240 today and hence have a clean Installation of Windows 10. This is instaled on an extra Partition of my 2nd harddisk while my live-System (Win 7) is on HD 1. The question is: could I use some clonig tool to copy the Windows 10 Partition to my...