Windows 10: Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD

Discus and support Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I am looking to upgrade a vast majority of the parts in my computer, GPU, CPU, motherboard etc. It will basically be a new system with the exception... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vandexa1, Oct 2, 2016.

1. vandexa1 Win User

Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD

So I am looking to upgrade a vast majority of the parts in my computer, GPU, CPU, motherboard etc. It will basically be a new system with the exception to the HDD I will still be using alongside a new SSD. When reading up on how to transfer my copy of Windows 10 to my new SDD I read that the free upgrade version or Windows 10, which is how I acquired it, is tied to the hardware of the system in question. Further reading showed that you can use your Microsoft account tied to your version of Windows 10 to help recover it. I was curious if anyone knew which hardware in particular the OS is tied to and if I will need to buy Windows 10 again for this new system to run it. Basically can I put my old HDD in this new system while retaining Windows 10, then transfer the OS to the SSD after the fact. Microsoft's official word on the subject is rather vague.

:)

vandexa1, Oct 2, 2016

2. Moving win 10 to new SSD.

i have win 10 installed on ssd and i have just installed an intel optane m2 mvne 900p how do i transfer to this drive and can I?

camiellion, Oct 2, 2016
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Moving win 10 to new SSD.

Being it was probably kind of pricey new 'goFast' drive & 4 or 5 times faster than a fast SSD, why dont you want to install win10 as a fresh goFaster type of install ?

Put all your personal files into one drive on the old drive, activate win BackUp, backup your drivers, turn off onedrive temporarily and then install win10 fresh onto the new drive.

'Mike P, Oct 2, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

The only thing that affect the activation is your MB. If you replace it, you'd need to buy a licence. Any other parts can be re-used.

topgundcp, Oct 2, 2016
  5. Eksy61 Win User
    You don't even have to buy a new license if you replace the motherboard. You can just re-enter your product key when prompted.

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update version simplifies things even further.

You can link your product key with your Microsoft account. Then replace whatever hardware you wish. If Windows 10 complains "Windows is not activated" on the new hardware, go into the Troubleshooter from Settings and activate Windows from there.

Eksy61, Oct 2, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    That would be the easiest way to do it. But if you don't have a Microsoft account, phone MS's activation support and explain the hardware changes you've made. Others have reported success this way.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD - Similar Threads - Moving SSD

2. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  3. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  4. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd: So my key came from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I didn't realize I had not linked my account and of course didn't stop to check. I move my ssd from my old computer to my new one and it brought up activating it and i found out that i had not linked it to my...
  6. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd: So my key came from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I didn't realize I had not linked my account and of course didn't stop to check. I move my ssd from my old computer to my new one and it brought up activating it and i found out that i had not linked it to my...
  7. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

8. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  9. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  10. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD