Windows 10: Moving Windows folder to a partition + best way to get a System or DDR

Discus and support Moving Windows folder to a partition + best way to get a System or DDR in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dear all: I made a clean install of Win 10 on a Dell laptop and I it is untouched after finishing the upgrade. The 1GB DDR already has 3 partitions:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gaita, Jul 21, 2016.

1. gaita Win User

Moving Windows folder to a partition + best way to get a System or DDR

Dear all:
    I made a clean install of Win 10 on a Dell laptop and I it is untouched after finishing the upgrade.
    The 1GB DDR already has 3 partitions:
    OEM Partition................................39MB
    RECOVERY partition....................12.5GB
    OS(CMoving Windows folder to a partition + best way to get a System or DDR :)...............................................912.22GB It has the OS, boot, etc
    My Windows Folder is 15.6GB
    My queries:
    • Is it a good practice to move the Windows folder (and maybe other System elements if any) to a separate partition?
    • If the answer is YES: how to proceed?
    • Wich is the best method/software to get an image of the System or DDR?
    TYIA for your help.
    Sincerely

:)

gaita, Jul 21, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How to create a system folder in Windows 10?

Documents is not a system folder - it's a user folder. Each user account has its own Documents folder. A user's own folders (Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos) are not touched during an update or upgrade.

If you want to password-protect a folder of documents, in addition to the password on your user account, create a sub-folder under Documents and password-protect that folder.

In addition, if you wish, you can move your user folders to a separate partition. Windows supports this, and it's easy to do. The advantage is that you can backup your system partition and your data partition separately.

BulldogXX, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Dex97 Win User
    Get access denied error while reset it's path to the default location.

Original title: Folder Redirection Error

So I created a data partition and used the folder properties to move my Downloads folder to it. Unfortunately, I moved it to the partition location instead of a folder within the partition. So I tried to move it to a folder within the partition and it said
    the path was invalid. I then tried to reset it to the default location, but it is throwing an "Access Denied" error. Is there any way to get it fixed without rolling back my system to a previous date? Also, the original downloads file has disappeared, but
    I can still download files to it and get to it by clicking the show in folder button or searching for the files in the explorer.

Dex97, Jul 21, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Windows Folder must stay where it is. You could partition disk further. Shrink C:, make another partition and set it to be used as data disk.

CountMike, Jul 21, 2016
  5. gaita Win User
    Thanks Count Mike for your help

gaita, Jul 21, 2016
  6. gaita Win User
    An additional question: any idea about the size of the C: partition on a 1TB DDR (not 1GB as I stated before)

gaita, Jul 21, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    I find 240GB enough for C. partition, I keep all data on other drives. When you have only one drive it's a good idea to keep Windows and programs on one partition and data on another. If anything would happen to windows and you have to reset or change them, data would not be lost. By data I mean personal files etc.

CountMike, Jul 21, 2016
  8. gaita Win User

Thanks so much again, very good answer indeed.
    As I am going to work on this tomorrow I will keep the thread open one more day, just in case.
    Best.

gaita, Jul 21, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Yeah, keep in touch.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving Windows folder to a partition + best way to get a System or DDR - Similar Threads - Moving folder partition

2. The best way to move a big folder with many subfolders into another folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The best way to move a big folder with many subfolders into another folder?: Problem: I have few folder (eleven), each with several subfolders containing thousands of files. 100-300GB each. I would like to move all those folders, maintaining the structure, into a folder called "Old". How is the best way to do that, both for internal and external...
  3. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  4. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  5. Best Way to Resize the "C Drive" Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best Way to Resize the "C Drive" Partition: Hello! Does anyone know if the Windows 10 Disk Management tool is the best way to resize a partition? I would like to shrink the partition that the "C" drive is on, and I'm a bit nervous about resizing it while I'm running Windows. Is it okay to use the Disk Management tool...
  6. What's the best way to get the system spec for a new laptop?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the best way to get the system spec for a new laptop?: I've just bought a Lenovo Legion Y520 & have used speccy to get system info. There is another source of info that I've used** - it's digs very deep eg it lists WUs installed/missing and is really is many pages long Does anyone know the name of it please? **PS I have the...
  7. Moving the Windows system partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving the Windows system partition: Hi everyone, I'd like to move my Windows partition (C:) from being the last partition on the SSD to being the first. Is this a safe operation to do with MiniTool or EaseUS? Do I have to do anything extra after the move to make sure everything's in order? Or will the system...
  8. Best Way To Move Users Folder Back to System Drive With Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Best Way To Move Users Folder Back to System Drive With Programs: Hi! I have a computer that is stuck in an "automatic repair" loop. On this machine, the Users folder is on a separate physical hard drive than the system drive. I have concluded that I will have to reset the PC. What is the best way to move the Users folder back to the...
  9. Best way to partition a clean install?

Best way to partition a clean install?: I'm likely to want to do a complete clean install, perish the thought. Or maybe I'll get a new computer. This one was fast and loaded, but it's about 6 years old now. Same considerations will apply in both cases I think. I just ran Macrium to backup Win, and find the...
  10. Best way to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 and move system to a SSD

Best way to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 and move system to a SSD: I have a brand new Dell XPS 8700 with Win 8.1 Home installed, 1 TB hdd. I want to update to Windows 10 I have a 120GB SSD that I would like to use for the system So seeking general guidance and the order in which things should be done. Are there updates to 8.1 and...