Windows 10: Moving Windows from a Mac Virtual Machine to a PC SSD

Discus and support Moving Windows from a Mac Virtual Machine to a PC SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an iMac which is running Win10Pro (non-oem as the original product was Win8 Preview which I eventually upgraded to Win10Pro non-Insider) via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tigerman82, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Moving Windows from a Mac Virtual Machine to a PC SSD

I have an iMac which is running Win10Pro (non-oem as the original product was Win8 Preview which I eventually upgraded to Win10Pro non-Insider) via Parallels Virtual Machine. I'm buying a barebone system (Intel NUC) soon and, as I need Windows for it and as I don't use the aforementioned Windows via Parallels that much, I'd like to move that Windows to the SSD of my new NUC.

Is this possible? What is the procedure? I've moved Windows between HDs before (via Macrium Reflect cloning) without hiccups but I cannot do that with a virtual machine setup (or can I). Another way to do this I guess would be to create install media (as I don't have one) and then re-install it to the SSD.

Please help!

:)

Tigerman82, Nov 15, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Nov 15, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Pro virtual machine

Hello.

First, sorry if you cannot understand everything, english is not my first language, but I'm really trying my best.

So my question is basically if I purchase Windows 10 Pro, I will get access to
    unlimited without any further costs virtual machines.

And I was wondering If I could use this virtual machine as a mac because I want to develop iOS Apps with Visual Studio and Xamarin and

you have to own an Apple Mac in order to debug your code. So can I use this virtual machine in order to "create" a virtual Apple Mac operating system and start writing iOS Apps with Xamarin and Visual Studio on my PC?

Thanks for any answers.

Best regards,

Niklas

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

DevelopementDE, Nov 15, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Moving Windows from a Mac Virtual Machine to a PC SSD

You can use macrium with a VM just the same. I went the other way and transferred from laptop to VM running on Fusion on my MBP.

Install Macrium on your VM and create an image to a (non HFS) drive or partition. Make the Macrium recovery USB and boot your NUC from it then restore the image.

Depending on how your VM is set up (BIOS or UEFI) you may find it easier to download Windows 10 install media from MS and install Windows (any version, don't bother to activate it) to the NUC first so the correct partitions are created and then just restore the C drive from the image.

If you link your existing log-on on the VM to a MS account you should be able to transfer the license. At least this worked for me.

5. Kari Win User
    Moi Tigerman, tervetuloa Kymppi Foorumille.

Imaging a virtual machine works and is as easy and done exactly the same way on virtual machine than on a physical machine. I use Macrium Reflect to capture my deployment images on a virtual machine, then deploy them to physical machines as seen for instance in this video:

[youtube]p9oMAGGFjCA[/youtube]

(From tutorial Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums)

Just remember that activation on new hardware will not be automatic. Don't forget to link the activation on your Parallels Windows 10 vm to a Microsoft account: Microsoft Account - Link to Digital License on Windows 10 PC - Windows 10 Forums

That should help you to activate Windows on new hardware if your license is retail. If not you will need a product key.

EDIT: seems that me and lx07 were posting at the same time *Smile

6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@Kari and @lx07

Note he's got a parallels VM on a MAC so I think he needs to convert it into something WINDOWS itself can handle.

An easier method is simply to use the Vmware VM converter (Free)

Convert first your parallels VM to VMware format -

https://www.file-extensions.org/arti...re-workstation
    You've now got a Windows VM

Simply do a simple V2P (Virtual to Physical) conversion :

1) run the vm on VMware player (Free)
    2) uninstall any programs like VMware tools etc
    3) create a free macrium stand alone image ISO -- and backup the VM
    4) restore the VM on to a physical Windows HDD -- don't forget any "system reserved" partitions.

Now it's possible you might get a boot failure first time - but repair windows usually works fine.
    Your newly booted Physical windows machine will probably need to get some drivers but usually that works just fine.

The new W10 installation will probably need a new activation -- believe it or not you *Could* get lucky as sometimes the digital entitlement on the servers gets a bit hosed up over VM's !!!!!

As Kari and lx07 have said - if you have a RETAIL licence you are OK - just enter that key when requested. (Do it after boot in case you have a load of problems --don't waste an activation !!!).

Of course you'll need another machine running Windows to do this. If you haven't got one - I'd look for a W7 system as you can run for 30 days before you have to activate it and perform conversion as above. I've done this a few times --works perfectly.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 15, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Hasn't there been problems with using the activation troubleshooter to move the Windows activation from a VM to a real machine? @Kari, I thought it was actually you who experimented with it and moving from VM to VM worked just fine, but moving from VM to real or real to VM did not work:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527

Under you recently made a significant hardware change:

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

If I have tested it, I cannot remember it. I remember posting several posts about the free upgrade, that if a 7 or 8 vm was upgraded using the free upgrade offer, that license was valid for that vm only and could not be transferred to a physical machine. But that was about the free upgrade licenses only.

Tried to find posts about me telling a retail license on vm cannot be transferred to a physical machine, found nothing.

9. Thank you all for your help. I might just try the Macrium route. However, usually with a Windows PC setup I see four partions with Macrium. When I run Macrium via Parallels Windows, I see six partions: 1 (None) NFTS Primary 2 NO NAME (None) FAT32 (LBA) Primary 3 (None) Unformatted Primary 4 (C*Smile NFTS Primary 5 (None) NFTS Primary 6 (None) NFTS Primary.

If I create an image and then restore it once I've created the correct partions to the NUC via Windows install media, will everything fall in to place and will the extra partitions screw things up?

Tigerman82, Nov 16, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    The first 4 are most likely (in order) Recovery, ESP, MSR, C Drive. The last 2 are (probably) data partitions. It would help if you posted a picture of disk management though to be sure.

If you create the partitions using install media you'd only need to restore the 4th partition (the C drive) unless you have data on the extra 5th and 6th partitions that you want. The install will put everything you need in your recovery partition and the ESP.

Alternatively you can restore the whole disk image (containing all partitions) as described by @Kari as long as both your VM and NUC use the same UEFI or legacy booting.

Thema:

1. Moving Windows from a Mac Virtual Machine to a PC SSD - Similar Threads - Moving Mac Virtual

2. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine: Hello,I currently dual boot Linux and Windows, using primarily Linux. I'd like to move my physical windows partition, or even just the license, to a virtual machine on my Linux partition. How can I reactivate my Windows license once I perform the move?...
  3. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine: Hello,I currently dual boot Linux and Windows, using primarily Linux. I'd like to move my physical windows partition, or even just the license, to a virtual machine on my Linux partition. How can I reactivate my Windows license once I perform the move?...
  4. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. win 10 to ssd for virtual machine/box

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    win 10 to ssd for virtual machine/box: I've watched a gazillion vids and tried 8(teen) ways to Sunday to create windows 10 on my new SSD to use on virtual machine/ box, whatever. I've downloaded and tried so many things I can't remember. After watching one vid telling me I needed to make my memory card a bootable...
  6. moving windows 10 licence to virtual machine

moving windows 10 licence to virtual machine: Hello! tldr; how to reactivate Windows 10 licence in Windows virtual machine running on a PC that previously ran Windows 10, and now runs Linux. Long; I formatted my Windows 10 pro PC and changed the operating system to Linux. I did not save my Windows product key etc...
  7. Windows 10 won't activate in virtual machine on Mac

Windows 10 won't activate in virtual machine on Mac: I had Windows 10 installed on a virtual machine created by Parallels on a MacBook Pro. I had a software problem and had to delete the virtual machine and recreate a new one. This happened twice. I am now on my third virtual machine, on the same device, and Windows will not...
  8. Move OEM Window 10 key to virtual machine

Move OEM Window 10 key to virtual machine: I recently bought a Lenovo laptop from a 3rd party reseller. There are no Windows disks or hard-copy product keys It came with Windows 10 Professional, OEM_DM channel Running the command slmgr.vbs -dlv give information on the license, including the installation ID and...
  9. Moving all Virtual machines to another drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Moving all Virtual machines to another drive: I have to move all of my virtual machines to a new SSD because the old SSD is out of space. Is it best to use this -> Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 procedure to move all of my virtual system to another physical drive one by one ? Also once they are moved, will...
  10. Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...