Windows 10: Moving Windows Install to New PC (W7 to W10)

Discus and support Moving Windows Install to New PC (W7 to W10) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm about to upgrade my PC soon and I decided that the OS should be upgraded too. I'm currently on W7 Pro x64 and I plan to get the W10 Pro x64. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rain08, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Rain08 Win User

Moving Windows Install to New PC (W7 to W10)

I'm about to upgrade my PC soon and I decided that the OS should be upgraded too. I'm currently on W7 Pro x64 and I plan to get the W10 Pro x64.

My concern is that I don't have a product key for W10 yet, but I heard that you can still install W10 even with a W7/8 product key. Is this still applicable currently? Assuming that it's still allowed, what would I do to make sure that my current product key is not tied to the this PC anymore so I can do those steps?

Current PC:
    Intel G3258
    Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    12 GB RAM
    Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB (current boot drive, will reuse this for the upgrade)

New PC:
    Ryzen 5 1600X
    Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3
    16 GB RAM

:)

Rain08, Dec 8, 2017

2. HDD Broken . OS W10 after updrade offer (Previous W7). On new HDD can i install free W10?

I have a HP all inone pc with Windows 7 from Factory. On 2015 with MS offer i have installed W10. Currently HDD R.I.P.!!!!

Can i reinstall W10 on a new HDD? If Yes the proceadure is the same? Install W7 With Serial and then upgrade on W10?

Or i can't install W10 and i should have only W7?

Regards to all Moving Windows Install to New PC (W7 to W10) :)

George Bikas, Dec 8, 2017
  3. JimTell Win User
    Cannot Connect to Windows 10 Session 0 With RD

Remote PC is running Windows 7 (W7). Host PC is running Windows 10 Pro (W10). I can connect to the W10 using Remote Desktop, I get a new session. I cannot connect to the W10 session 0, the session running locally on the W10 PC. The W7 can connect to
    other W7, XP, and server OS session 0s without trouble. The command line in the shortcut I'm using is %windir%\system32\mstsc.exe /admin Thoughts?

JimTell, Dec 8, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Install Windows 7 on the new PC with the existing product key - assuming it is a retail product key and not OEM. You might have to call MS to activate it if the Windows 7 product key has been blocked from automatic online activation. Then either upgrade that to Windows 10 or do this:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Now, somebody is going to come along and post that you only have to install Windows 10 and activate it with the Windows 7 product key. That might work. But if there is a problem with the Windows 7 product key, like it is blocked from automatic internet activation, it is much easier to solve with Windows 7 installed than Windows 10.

Another option is to upgrade the old computer to Windows 10. Establish a digital license linked to a MS account. Then move the digital license to a clean install of Windows 10 on the new computer via the MS account:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

Finally, you should do the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 before December 31 because there is reasonable speculation out there that Microsoft will stop the free upgrades on December 31.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    I have seen conflicting posts on other forums saying upgrading no longer works but clean installs do and vice versa.

I suspect issues are more key related than MS have stopped either method yet. A common theme is Windows 7 was activated with MAK/VLK keys and upgrade or clean install fails to activate.

cereberus, Dec 8, 2017
  6. Rain08 Win User
    The W7 key that I have is a retail one so hopefully it won't be as much of a problem. So I just need to reinstall W7 on the new PC and follow the steps on that link? There's nothing to touch on the current one? I might just have to face with activation issues where I might need to call MS?
    I'm planning to upgrade in the next couple of days so the deadline shouldn't be much of a worry.

Rain08, Dec 8, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    In order to comply with the Windows 7 End Users License Agreement (EULA), you have to remove Windows 7 from the old computer. You have 1 license for Windows which means only 1 Windows is allowed to be installed. However, removing the old installation (or not) will not affect the activation of the new installation. The number of times the product key has be reused in a certain period of time determines when it will get blocked from online automatic activation - not the actual existence of a previously installed Windows. There is no real way to "deactivate" a computer on Microsoft Activation Servers when you remove an OS.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving Windows Install to New PC (W7 to W10) - Similar Threads - Moving Install W10

2. Problem with installing w10 on w7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with installing w10 on w7: Hi All,During installation of the w10, I am facing the following error message, and I am trying every suggestions of this website but seems doesn't work for me.I would appreciate to take a look and give me some hints.It should be noted that my w7 is original and have valid...
  3. 'porting' W10 (via W7) to new desktop PC....

'porting' W10 (via W7) to new desktop PC....: Hello everyone. Sadly, my venerable 8 year old PC has died. I'd like to install Windows 10 on my new PC, but I understand that moving W10 isn't as easy as that (I think!) The original installation of W10 on my old machine was performed as an upgrade from a genuine...
  4. Moving data from W7 laptop to W10 laptop

Moving data from W7 laptop to W10 laptop: My wife is still using a Windows 7 laptop. She resists change. It's hdd is divided into a C: W7 system partition and an E: data partition. She is now getting a Windows 10 laptop and I need to move her data and installed programs (mostly MS office 2002, Thunderbird set up as...
  5. Installation Failure W7 - W10

Installation Failure W7 - W10: Laptop couldn't install W10, set back to previous state W7Pro. Failure code 0x800707E7-OX3000D. The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation. Is anyone familiar with this?...
  6. Problems moving data from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems moving data from W7 to W10: I'm moving my wife's data from her W7 laptop to a W10 laptop (W10 home 1903, build 18362.836) and I'm hitting problems. I've transferred her data fine but: 1. I cannot access her thunderbird profile which is at users/../.../roaming/Thunderbird/profiles/...... I get access...
  7. Dead PC, move W10 to new PC?

Dead PC, move W10 to new PC?: My 11 year old rig died, brief specs Intel S775 Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core 8GB Geil 800MHz ASUS 8800GT video card SSD (OS) & HDD (data) I am unable to boot. There is a flicker on the activity LED and the fans start, stop and sometimes start again.. PSU seems OK as case fans, DVD...
  8. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  9. Installers written for W7 - on W10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installers written for W7 - on W10?: Hi all *Smile I am thinking of building a 64-bit W10 machine; I currently use 64-bit W7. I remember going from W98 to XP, it was impossible to install many (all?) w98 apps in XP, until the sw dev came out with a new installer compatible with XP. Same with XP to Vista....
  10. Downgrade W10 to W7 on a New System

Downgrade W10 to W7 on a New System: I need to have W7 or 8 for my system for compatibility with equipment at work. I want to buy a new computer but they all run on W10 now. Is it possible to downgrade from a W10 to a 7 on a brand new system? Everything I have searched seems to be if the system already had...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to install W7 in to W10 pc

2. move w7 to w10

3. how to move w7 user to w10

4. Moving from w7 to w10