Windows 10: Moving Windows installation to a separate partition

Discus and support Moving Windows installation to a separate partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How can I separate my Windows installation files and put them in a separate partition (And leave some room for updates if necessary), or instead leave... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mibaup, Oct 13, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

Moving Windows installation to a separate partition

How can I separate my Windows installation files and put them in a separate partition (And leave some room for updates if necessary), or instead leave it where it is, but move the rest to a separate one? Right now everything is on C:\ and I want the installation part to maybe stay in C:\ and move the rest to another letter, say D:\?

Ty *Smile

:)

mibaup, Oct 13, 2016

2. Win7 Install Strategy for Upgrade to Win10

First of all, you cannot install the free upgrade on a separate partition. It must be installed over an existing qualifying version or activated by a qualifying product key for Windows 7 or Windows 8 on a single installation.

Yes, you can't install your applications on a separate partition if you wish, but I don't recommend it for some desktop apps. Universal Apps can be moved to a different drive.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 13, 2016
  3. MOSO_1010 Win User
    Move Windows 10 Personal Folders to a separate partition on same hard drive

How do I move Personal Folders in Windows 10 to a separate partition on the same hard drive? Will future program installations automatically use this new location to store personal files such as documents, downloads, pictures, ...etc.? And will Windows
    10 work well with multiple partitions?

MOSO_1010, Oct 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, It's a great idea to separate user data and Windows. That's how I'll try to answer this as I'm not sure I can quite understand your first sentence in a useful way, which should reduce the size of what's on your system disk.

I'd view it like this:
    1. While you can relocate your user profile and libraries (Documents, Videos etc) relatively easily, this can cause problems sometimes. And sometimes reports appear where people have made mistakes or got confused somehow.
    (Rt click folder, Location tab)
    2. I prefer to leave the default libraries and user folders where they are, and use my own on another drive. Why? So many programs create their own folders and working space in these... become 'Their' Documents not 'My' Documents.

So I prefer to create my own Documents, Videos, Photos... folders on other drives. There's nothing sacred about the MS defaults, and you can create your own libraries.

3. Programs:
    a. You can install desktop programs on D: - however, for many, folders will still be created either or both as above and in Appdata in you user profile space.
    b. You can specify that modern apps be installed in and hold their data in another drive. (This can be useful for larger programs such as games).

4. You can move your page file to another drive to save space.

Here are some useful Tutorials for you from the extensive, practical and detailed Tutorials section here:

Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Oct 13, 2016
  5. ethan121 New Member
    1. Hi phy49,
    2. It is not possible to move Windows from one partition to another without re-installing Windows.
    3. Follow the steps below to shrink and then extend a partition.
    4. Click Start, type “diskmgmt.msc” to open Disk Management.
    5. If anyone faces Epson printer error like Epson error code 0x9a

Attached Files:

ethan121, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving Windows installation to a separate partition - Similar Threads - Moving installation separate

2. Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition: I want to save space for my daily image backups by moving these files to a separate partition on my boot SSD.hiberfil.sys 12.70 GBpagefile.sys 4.75 GBswapfile.sys 16 MBAre there any issue doing this?I have 3ea Samsung 980 Pro 2tb nmve pcie 4 ssd's. 1 of these ssd's is my boot...
  3. Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition: I want to save space for my daily image backups by moving these files to a separate partition on my boot SSD.hiberfil.syspagefile.sysswapfile.sysAre there any issue doing this?I have 3ea Samsung 980 Pro 2tb nmve pcie 4 ssd's. 1 of these ssd's is my boot drive. I have separate...
  4. Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition: I want to save space for my daily image backups by moving these files to a separate partition on my boot SSD.hiberfil.syspagefile.sysswapfile.sysAre there any issue doing this?I have 3ea Samsung 980 Pro 2tb nmve pcie 4 ssd's. 1 of these ssd's is my boot drive. I have separate...
  5. Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition: I'd like some opinion. I formatted the 16.7 GB RESTORE partition to clean it out to put documents and pictures there to minimize the C: backup size and just keep them separate. Turns out the 16.7 GB is too small for putting a backup but I could put documents. Does it make...
  6. Moving partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving partitions: Hi, I wanted to reorder/arrange the disk. How can I move the OEM partition to the 2nd location such that C drive will be 3rd partition . Please see attached snapshot. 143845
  7. Move recovery drive to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move recovery drive to a separate partition: Hi, I created the USB recovery drive successfully with the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive". Since I needed the USB for another purpose, I transferred the files from the USB to a separate partition on an external HDD and made this drive bootable using...
  8. Install Windows 7 on a separate partition

Install Windows 7 on a separate partition: Hello, I have an existing Windows 10 PC. I have a 1TB hard drive, and I want to make a partition and install Windows 7 on that partition. Microsoft says that installing the older operating system last can "render your system inoperable", so I'm not sure. Obviously, Windows 10...
  9. Data on separate partition or drive?

Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...
  10. Image / History on separate partitions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Image / History on separate partitions?: I want to create two separate partitions on a portable usb drive. On one partition, I'd like to create a system image using the windows image-creating capability. On the other partition, I would like to use the windows history capability to maintain a continuously updated...