Windows 10: MP3 files getting corrupted when transferring to micro-SD cards

Discus and support MP3 files getting corrupted when transferring to micro-SD cards in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to transfer my MP3 music files to 32GB micro-SD cards so I can listen to them on portable devices. Unfortunately, when I do so, the files often... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KC8MWG, Jul 7, 2017.

1. KC8MWG Win User

MP3 files getting corrupted when transferring to micro-SD cards

I want to transfer my MP3 music files to 32GB micro-SD cards so I can listen to them on portable devices. Unfortunately, when I do so, the files often end up getting corrupted in an odd way: the file will start playing normally, but then a piece of a completely different MP3 will end up "spliced" onto the original - sometimes, MORE than one MP3 file ends up getting "mashed" together into one file. The "original" MP3 files on the computer's hard drive are unaffected and play normally on Media Player. It does not matter if I try to "sync" a device using Media Player, or use a simple "drag 'n' drop" or copy-and-paste, I still end up with this corruption problem. It does not happen to every file, but enough of them to be annoying, and sometimes files that were not previosly corrupted end up getting corrupted if I plug the card back into the computer. Once, I even ended up with a card getting totally corrupted and unusable.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what can I do about it?

:)

KC8MWG, Jul 7, 2017
  2. stlolth Win User

5130 slow USB data transfer

UPDATE:
    I remembered having an old mp3 player with a micro SD expansion slot, so i tested transfering data to a micro SD card through it, and it achieved the same high speeds of the card reader. So adrian's claim that the same behavior happens even with standalone
    players using expansion slots doesn't apply, at least to my mp3 player.

stlolth, Jul 7, 2017
  3. Julie Ram Win User
    Transferring data from laptop to micro sd card

Hi,

To help you in transferring the files from your PC to your SD card, follow the steps below:

• Connect the micro SD card reader to your computer.
    • Plug the micro SD card into the card reader.
    • Open the folder that contains files you want to transfer to the SD card.
    • Select the files, press and hold "Ctrl" and then, click the files that you want to transfer. Or press "Ctrl + A" to select all the files in the folder.
    • Press "Ctrl + C" to copy the files.
    • Choose a drive on your SD card and open the folder where you want to store the files.
    • Press "Ctrl + V" to paste the files.
    • Wait until all files are transferred then, remove the micro SD card from the card reader.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Julie Ram, Jul 7, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Try copying a smaller amount of files, rather then a large batch

spunk, Jul 7, 2017
  5. KC8MWG Win User
    It happens even when I only put one file into a folder at a time. In fact, "mashups" even occur between MP3 files that are in totally different folders (on the same micro SD card). If I put a single file into a folder, I will sometimes find that file "broken up and spliced" between several other MP3's.

KC8MWG, Jul 7, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    First thing I would do would be to format the card, then copy the files as you have been doing but do not at this stage use the card on any other device apart from the PC.

Now see if the PC is happy with the copied files and can play them OK.

Are your portable devices compatible with 32Gb cards ?

Mooly, Jul 7, 2017
  7. KC8MWG Win User
    Well, I formatted the micro-SD. Transferred one folder to it with no apparent problem. Songs played on the computer okay. Went to transfer another folder, and it only got part way (11% transfer) before the process stopped cold and I got an error message, and when I tried to access the SD card I got a message saying that it needed to be formatted (AGAIN!) before I could use it!

KC8MWG, Jul 8, 2017
  8. Winuser Win User

It could be a problem with the microSD card. Do you have another card you could try?

Winuser, Jul 8, 2017
  9. KC8MWG Win User
    I bought three identical micro-SD cards, and all three have the exact same problem. One, in fact, seems to have been corrupted beyond recovery.

KC8MWG, Jul 8, 2017
  10. Winuser Win User
    Bargain bin brand?

Winuser, Jul 8, 2017
  11. KC8MWG Win User
    As a matter of fact, yes - although, I HAVE run several analysis programs on the ones that are still accessible (not corrupted beyond re-formatting), and they ARE a true 32GB and not hacked 8GB ones (I got scammed once by a "genuine" Sandisk that turned out to be a Chinese counterfeit; lost a bunch of pics of my kids that way. It was sold as a 128GB, and turned out to be only 8GB hacked to "look" like a 128GB to a device, until an analysis program was run on it). Checked these BEFORE I used them. They ARE no-names, though.

KC8MWG, Jul 8, 2017
  12. Winuser Win User
    I've had the misfortune of buying a hacked SD card once. I read a post or article about some SD cards being hacked and checked the ones I had. Luckily I didn't have a lot on it and didn't lose anything.

Winuser, Jul 8, 2017
  13. Captain Win User

Try getting a whole different brand of them since, seems all 3 are having the same problems. I've had many SD cards and I've only had a problem one time, that was it. I transfered hundreds of songs from my computer to a microSD card, then slipped it into my Smart-phone. I've been using SD's Since PSP came out and then the microSD's since I really got into the smart device craze. Still no problems and I only ever formatted them once in a blue moon, we are talking years. I say try it on a buddies system to rule out if it's the computer just not playing nice with the Micro SD.

Captain, Jul 9, 2017
  14. spunk Win User
    Try a different brand of micro SD card, and see if the same thing happens, if it does, then there might be a problem with your SD card reader

spunk, Jul 9, 2017
  15. Berton Win User
    I usually use SanDisk MicroSDHC 64GB cards in my Tablets. Windows has a limit of 32GB partition size for FAT32 but might try exFAT, gets around the 4GB single-file size limit of FAT32. NTFS will also work. But exFAT also works on Mac machines where NTFS may not, latest is macOS Sierra. Linux machines can use the 3 formats mentioned but also have GPARTED installed as a program that can format a number of types. As mentioned don't use PC-formatted cards in cameras, always reformat in the camera itself when needed.

Berton, Jul 9, 2017
Thema:

1. MP3 files getting corrupted when transferring to micro-SD cards - Similar Threads - MP3 files getting

2. micro sd card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    micro sd card: when i plug in my micro sd card via usb adapter, the notification sound happens. but when i go into 'my computer', it's just 'removable disk M', and can't be opened, saying please insert a disk. if i remove the micro sd card then that 'removable disk M' disappears altogether,...
  3. micro sd card

micro sd card: when i plug in my micro sd card via usb adapter, the notification sound happens. but when i go into 'my computer', it's just 'removable disk M', and can't be opened, saying please insert a disk. if i remove the micro sd card then that 'removable disk M' disappears altogether,...
  4. Micro sd card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Micro sd card: I bought a NUIFLASH 128gb micro card plus adapter. My laptop won't reconize the sd card. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/micro-sd-card/211f80ed-4190-4aa7-838a-5cc0978618ed
  5. micro SD Card

micro SD Card: windows 10 won't find a micro SD Card How to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/micro-sd-card/cd22d18b-c247-427d-8981-e9cccc253c13
  6. micro sd card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    micro sd card: Hi. I have a Lenovo ideapad 330. what is the best micro sd card I can buy. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/micro-sd-card/fd143a53-6490-41ac-a9e0-68985f3ecbd4"
  7. micro sd cards

micro sd cards: so ive recently discovered a problem on my windows 10 machine that it doesnt correctly read large micro sd cards, but does correctly pick up smaller size ones. i also have a laptop that ive check, which correctly disaplys the large mirco sd card tho. itll be nice to know why...
  8. Transfer files to micro SD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer files to micro SD: Hi All, I recently bought a new tablet and, as the main use is listen to music adn read books and comics, I tried to transfer a number of files from my PC to a micro sd 256 Gb. I've already spent a week trying different systems and tools (an SD adaptor, a usb adatptor,...
  9. micro sd card

micro sd card: how can you play a video from the micro sd card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_music/micro-sd-card/6b3649a7-4998-4708-889e-17393ae74f39
  10. Micro SD Card Corrupted

Micro SD Card Corrupted: Hi Before I forget my phones an android! The other day I moved some music over to my phone and it seemed to move OK so I went ahead and removed my phone from the laptop. Then when I got to the car I went to pull up my music player so I could play over my cars audio...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mp3 files getting corrupted when transferring to micro-sd cards