Windows 10: MP4 refuses to open with WMP

Discus and support MP4 refuses to open with WMP in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Just one annoying problem I can't fix. Ever since update 1607. Whenever I try & open a mp4 video, it opens with another app I have installed that came... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Gmunday, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Gmunday Win User

MP4 refuses to open with WMP

Just one annoying problem I can't fix. Ever since update 1607. Whenever I try & open a mp4 video, it opens with another app I have installed that came with codecs to play flv files in windows media player. It refuses to open with WMP on double click. I have checked default & on the first menu its black & refuses to change to anything I set. The more advance option for file associations it shows its set to WMP.

I'm really starting to consider going back to windows 7 because it's 1 problem after another with 10.

:)

Gmunday, Sep 21, 2016

2. Ovi Crashing on Sync

To figure out which mp4 file it is I'd try this:

- Go to Windows explorer and find all mp4 files from the N82

- Copy them to a temporary folder on PC

- Open each of them with Windows Media Player

- The one(s) that cause this probably crash WMP too. Crashing WMP/OVI Suite and working fine on N82 aren't related to each others.

enginehamster, Sep 21, 2016
  3. Play MPEG-4 video clips on wmp11

If you are eager to play the *.mp4 files in the WMP 11 then try to GOOGLE a plugin for WMP.

There is a plugin. I had it. But Lost it from my HDD MP4 refuses to open with WMP :(

power_user---01, Sep 21, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Berton, Sep 21, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    Go to the Control Panel:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs
    Find that app you installed in the list, select 'Choose defaults for this program' and un-tick .mp4 - that may help...

MP4 refuses to open with WMP [​IMG]

...alternatively, uninstall your app and install VLC instead. I can confirm that VLC plays .flv files.

6. Bree New Member
    True, there's no Media Center in Windows 10, but the Media Player was the one bit they left in, albeit without the ability to play DVDs any more. Those of us who upgraded from a 'Media Center edition' of Windows got the Windows DVD Player as a free update. VLC however can play almost anything, as you say.

7. dalchina New Member
    WMP will not play flv videos unless you add a codec or plugin. A web search should help you solve that.

WMP will play mp4 files.

One way to check and change associations very explicitly is this:

MP4 refuses to open with WMP [​IMG]

To change the association select the extension, then click Change Program and browse to your program.

Note that from Win 8 onwards it is NOT possible to set assocations from within programs - done for security reasons.

dalchina, Sep 22, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

The standard Films & TV app is simple and effective for playing .mp4 files. Have a look at the Films & TV file associations and select the app for those if you like it.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. MP4 refuses to open with WMP - Similar Threads - MP4 refuses open

2. Programs refuse to open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs refuse to open: Ok so, I've been having this issue for a while now and I have no idea what is happening. So far. for a couple of my programs refuse to open. Whether I double click on them, run as administrator, make shortcuts. etc. I've tried everything but they refuse to open. They do not...
  3. Programs refuse to open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs refuse to open: Ok so, I've been having this issue for a while now and I have no idea what is happening. So far. for a couple of my programs refuse to open. Whether I double click on them, run as administrator, make shortcuts. etc. I've tried everything but they refuse to open. They do not...
  4. Programs refuse to open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Malwarebytyes refuses to open

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malwarebytyes refuses to open: Hello I wonder if anyone can shed any light on why I see the following message in Windows Event Viewer: [img] At the same time, Malwarebytes will not open when launched so I cannot check its settings for scans or anything else. Yet its icon appears in the System Tray...
  6. WMP 12 (WIN 10) - Won't Play MP4 - How to Fix?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WMP 12 (WIN 10) - Won't Play MP4 - How to Fix?: 1) So ... Problem/Issue is Ongoing (Not resolved) 2) Most relevant Post (years old) is - of course - Locked!?! 3) No apparent meaningful/useful response from or effort by M$ engineers [sic] or "experts" 4) Windows continues to claim WMP-12 is able to play MP4 ... but...
  7. WMP

WMP: Hi DaveM121. Thanks for the fix you suggested yesterday on my WMP problem. 100% now. Wish I had used the community first instead of spending 40 minutes chatting to a technician who had no idea of the problem or a fix. Regards RayMR...
  8. Open WMP with "Server Execution Failed"

Open WMP with "Server Execution Failed": I got with "Server Execution Failed" when opening WMP in Windows 10. Searching on the web, I have tried many hints but failed all the time. What is the true cure of this problem ? Is it due to codecs problem or anything related to internet ? *** Email address is removed for...
  9. WMP

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WMP: I used to be able to sync my music onto a USB pen drive to use in my car using WMP. However since upgrading to windows 10 WMP is not recognising my pen drive as it did before. I have looked everywhere for an answer and I am not the only one.This is frustrating and my force...
  10. This PC refuses to open

in Windows 10 Support
    This PC refuses to open: Hi all, first post here for me, I've been using this forum to help me along with my new laptop for learning the basics (my last computer was windows XP!). I've come across an issue I can't find an answer for though. For some reason I can't access the file "this PC". Every...