Windows 10: MRT.exe crashed (onnce) after update today

Discus and support MRT.exe crashed (onnce) after update today in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi! After the rather momumental update from today (KB4015217 was a monster, and it wasn't even the Creators update *Think) I found an app crash in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Win10usr, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Win10usr Win User

MRT.exe crashed (onnce) after update today

Hi!

After the rather momumental update from today (KB4015217 was a monster, and it wasn't even the Creators update *Think) I found an app crash in the logs. This very same program crashed on all my systems here, including a clean virtual test machine. The app is MRT.exe, which is - roughly translated from the reliability monitor) Microsoft tool for removal of pesky software.

MRT.exe crashed (onnce) after update today [​IMG]

MRT.exe crashed (onnce) after update today [​IMG]

I don't think I have to worry too much about it, mainly since what happens is completely out of my control. One of those things I hate about obligatory updates. Please let me know if I should worry though and if so, what to do about this. Once again: it happened only once, at the same time the app was updated as you can see in the screenshot from reliability monitor.

Another thing I am wondering for longer about is: what is this tool anyway? Do I need it? I run Kaspersky and I assume this software is perfectly capable of catching malicious (that's the word I was looking for!) software. So basically the Windows tool sounds a bit like overhead to me. Don't know if you can safely turn it off without any registry hacks etc. If someone has some info about that: feel free to let me know MRT.exe crashed (onnce) after update today :)

Best regards!

:)

Win10usr, Apr 11, 2017
  2. Lead3 Win User

Is the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool already on my computer?

It is run once after the update is installed but not deleted. You can find MRT.exe in C:\windows\System32\.

Lead3, Apr 11, 2017
  3. RickCP Win User
    MRT_HB or MRT_ERROR_HB or MRT.exe runs daily instead of multiple times daily

Hi Susan:

So, no changes (other than the "Heartbeat Sucessful" in the log) after the latest and current (v5.35.12524.0) April 2016 update? Hmm...

1+

RickCP, Apr 11, 2017
  4. clam1952 Win User

clam1952, Apr 11, 2017
  5. Win10usr Win User
    Hi!

Ah, thanks. Missed that thread. Although it's a rather large one. Must be blind. Anyway, I will grind my teeth and pretend the crash of MRT.exe is normal. Can't do nothing about it anyway...

Greetz!

Win10usr, Apr 11, 2017
  6. turboHonk Win User
    I noticed this too, thought it was just me for having win defender disabled.

turboHonk, Apr 12, 2017
  7. Win10usr Win User
    Yeah, looks like nothing. Also saw that directly after booting a Kaspersky process died. However, that error was immediately followed by a Kaspersky driver install after which everything functioned normal. So guess that's also ok. Always difficult to take distance from such things. It's not like in the past when you had control yourself over your computer... *Huh

Win10usr, Apr 12, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

It seems to be that, when run by windows update, the MRT runs successfully to completion then fails to exit gracefully. It's apparently this 'bad' shutdown that reliability history records. The MRT log shows it had done its job correctly before trying to exit.
    Cumulative Update KB4015583 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.138

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. MRT.exe crashed (onnce) after update today - Similar Threads - MRT exe crashed

2. Mrt related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mrt related: I want to tell that mrt app in my windows runs very smoothly without any problem but when I try to open it and when I try to closing it without opening it it shows you must be logged on as a member of the administrators group to run the mrt tool. Is it a genuine msg from mrt...
  3. MRT related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MRT related: Can you tell me that I recently reset my laptop and it and it is now brand new and all thing is clear but I could not find mrt in my Windows can you tell me that why I cannot find it or I manually download it from Microsoft website....
  4. MRT related

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MRT related: Can you tell me that I recently reset my laptop and it and it is now brand new and all thing is clear but I could not find mrt in my Windows can you tell me that why I cannot find it or I manually download it from Microsoft website....
  5. windows mrt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows mrt: hello, so i ran the mrt and saw the results, i clicked detailed results and found this out so the question is, that all of this are malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-mrt/6c3a0726-c6bc-4154-8774-6f663db465ae
  6. Windows crashed after today's update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows crashed after today's update: Hey. I installed an update today and after that it started throwing 0xc0000102 errors when trying to open certain programs, I restarted it, tryed enter safe boot and now I'm stuck in loop. Even the automatic repair is stuck in loop, tryed to boot from an USB to repair, no...
  7. MRT Update Notification

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    MRT Update Notification: When I run MRT, a notification pops up per Attachment 1 shown below. The link which shows will download but not install, per Attachment 2. Has anyone else experienced this? I continued running the the "current version" and it ran ok, but I am curious about these instructions...
  8. Vista>MRT

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Vista>MRT: When I tried to run Microsoft's MRT, it said that it didn't support this operating system. It was automatically installed. Is there another, newer MRT tool from Microsoft?...
  9. msrt (mrt)

in Windows 10 Support
    msrt (mrt): How can I tell if I have the "Malicious Software Removal Tool" installed? 62820
  10. No restart after today's update

in Windows 10 Support
    No restart after today's update: Only spinning dots for 20 minutes now after restart because of update. Should I reset? Or? 71898