Windows 10: MS edge hijacked today

Discus and support MS edge hijacked today in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Today edge was hijacked, message asks me to call number . I know this is a scam so tried to close edge, could not. So I closed with task manager,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by oldspook, Sep 22, 2016.

1. oldspook Win User

MS edge hijacked today

Today edge was hijacked, message asks me to call number . I know this is a scam so tried to close edge, could not. So I closed with task manager, rebooted. When I opened edge message was still there.

HELP, how do I get rid of it and fix my computer?

:)

oldspook, Sep 22, 2016

2. Yahoo Ads are hijacking Edge

As of today Yahoo ads are hijacking and redirecting Edge to malicious websites.

johnjm1272, Sep 22, 2016
  3. Diddon Win User
    aqovd.com hijacking MS Edge

Thanks for the quick response (and for moving the post to the correct area).

I've just tried those tools, and Scott_ki's trick, but it still keeps appearing whenever I reopen Edge. Is there no way to reset Edge like we could with IE? My digging around hasn't found anything.

Update - forgot to mention, opening a url from the search (typing www.google.com into Cortana as suggested opened Edge without the offending tab, however closing and reopening edge, either from
    Start shortcut, programmes list, or typing Edge into Cortana still opened the aqovd.com tab.

Cheers

Diddon, Sep 22, 2016
  4. oldspook Win User

MS edge hijacked today

UPDATE. I tried to run Malwarebytes free. I could not update it, hadn't been updated it a few weeks. Is this part of the edge hijack?

If not how can I fix Malwarebytes so it will update?

oldspook, Sep 22, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Sep 22, 2016
  6. oldspook Win User
    I think I got rid of it.
    I unplugged cable from cable modem and router.
    I opened edge and cleared browser data
    I reset my home page to start
    I closed edge and rebooted
    I open edge and set home page to desired page.

It appears to be fixed. Anyone know if it will come back?

oldspook, Sep 22, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    That's a quick way to get rid of the window. You'll want to be sure you've gotten rid of all the bits.

Run these scans, in this order:

Create a restore point
    RKILL
    TDSSKiller (select all options - it will reboot to scan properly)
    RKILL (again, because everything RKILL does is undone by a reboot)
    Malwarebytes Antimalware (run a custom scan, select the box to scan for rootkits, and check the box to scan your entire system drive)
    ADWCleaner (it will reboot to clean)
    JRT
    Then run TempFile Cleaner.
    Ccleaner - run on browsers and clean out temp + cache, then run on registry

For a final all-clear, you could run this, but probably not necessary:
    ESET Online Scan (see instructions here)
    BSOD after boot up, during login or right after, (bad spool header?) Solved - Page 3 - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Be sure you're logged into sevenforums, so you can see all the screenshots. They're a little old, but the basics are the same.

All these tools are free/have free versions available.

When finished, create another restore point, then go into Ccleaner and delete the infected one (and any others that may exist that might be infected).

simrick, Sep 22, 2016
  8. Ethelwulf Win User

MS edge hijacked today

It sounds Like Ransomware But you got away

thats good News after you are don with what simrick Posted you should Now Look into some good

anti virus anti spyware and anti malware products and not the free Versions its time to invest in your safety and privacy

good Luck

Ethelwulf, Sep 22, 2016
  9. ELT
    elt Win User
    There are some other options to prevent this from happening again. Open DNS should block malware sites ( but I don't know if it's effective when direct IP address is used). There are IP blockers.... download a list of malware IPs and it will block anything in your PC from accessing them. PeerBlock is free. You can block IPs at the hostlist using the "MVPS Hosts file"... I can't post the URL but it should be easy to find. You can run a browser sandboxed. Avast antivirus has it's own browser... but Sandboxie... which I believe is free, lets you sandbox any program including a browser of your choice. A sandbox gives a program a place to operate and when you close it... no permanent changes are made to your system. If you're downloading... you have to export it out of the sandbox.

Thema:

MS edge hijacked today

1. MS edge hijacked today - Similar Threads - edge hijacked today

2. Edge Hijacking PDFs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge Hijacking PDFs: Microsoft Edge hijacking pdf as default appears to have been a problem for some years now. Having Microsoft advise how to temporarily revert to the users preferred application is unacceptable.As I understand it, Microsoft Edge cannot be uninstalled and will continue to...
  3. Edge keeps hijacking PDF

Edge keeps hijacking PDF: Good day Support i have problem with Edge keeps on hijacking my PDF, i have tried changing the registry and set Edge to NoOpen, that did not help, i updated my windows to latest version, still having the same issue, may you please provide me with a working solution?...
  4. MS Mail hijacking my emails.

MS Mail hijacking my emails.: How can I stop MS Mail sending my documents by email. I have just updated to Windows 10. My default email is google mail. When I try to email a document Mail takes over and will not let me send it by google mail. I have disabled all of the settings in the Mail app and Mail...
  5. error #MS-SYSINFO32 Hijack

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    error #MS-SYSINFO32 Hijack: Which Pop Up Blocker Will Stop error #MS-SYSINFO32 From Popping Up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/error-ms-sysinfo32-hijack/3cc4ec2b-04f5-461c-9940-afa11ebb2e09
  6. Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE)

Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE): Hi Folks Be extra careful currently as there is STILL a problem in security with IE11 and Edge which can allow "unscrupulous" users to hijack your browser / do other nasty things - and currently NO A/V software can protect against this. BE VERY CAREFUL if using IE11 /...
  7. Edge Browser hijack scam

Edge Browser hijack scam: Last night I got the scam where the Browser (Edge) is locked and a message pops up saying to call a number. There is a computerised voice telling me I have a problem. I can open Explorer ok and am using it to type this. I ran AV (Defender & MBAM) but nothing came up. I...
  8. Edge hijacked by advert

in Browsers and Email
    Edge hijacked by advert: Looking through news on Sky, I had an advert for antiwrinkle cream appear and stop me shutting down Edge. I went to task manager and shut down Edge, that didn't work, so I restarted W10 and as soon as I opened the browser it was back, I then shut down Windows and on...
  9. Edge Hijacking?

Edge Hijacking?: Is this a highjacking? Did scans with Defender, Mbam, Adwcleaner and Hitman Pro, which none detected. Could not open Edge without it appearing. Finally solved with a backdated recovery. 22737
  10. the edge just got hijacked

in Browsers and Email
    the edge just got hijacked: i am using chrome right now but earlier i was working with edge and went to find something thru Bing and the next thing i know is that this blue screen comes up saying to dial this 844# and prevent any further problems with ordering online or working on thru the internet...