Windows 10: MS Excel - Sorting text cells

Discus and support MS Excel - Sorting text cells in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I am entering stamp collection catalogue "numbers" in a spreadsheet column. However, I am having problems sorting the stamps properly. For example:... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Tony Vella, Sep 1, 2017.

1. MS Excel - Sorting text cells

I am entering stamp collection catalogue "numbers" in a spreadsheet column. However, I am having problems sorting the stamps properly. For example: stamps 1, 2, 3, 1a, 2a, 3a should be sorted as 1, 1a, 2, 2a, 3, 3a. I know I am doing something wrong because I keep getting the original: 1, 2, 3, 1a, 2a, 3a. Could someone please give me a hint or two at how to go about sorting my "numbers" properly? Thanks in advance.

:)

Tony Vella, Sep 1, 2017

2. How to Edit Word and Excel file in N9

Hi, I can open the Ms Word and Ms Excel Files in N9 but I can not edit the text or Cells. Please advise the way to edit the text in the Word or Excel Files.

dshiwakoti, Sep 1, 2017
  3. Storing texts on memory card.

Thanks for everybody's input. I will jut have to download all my text messages to EXCEL - which I can do using NOKIA PC Suite - and accept that they stuff everything into one cell. This will not permit me to sort them chronologically - but so be it.

interpreter---01, Sep 1, 2017
  4. DavidY Win User

MS Excel - Sorting text cells

• Insert a blank column next to the one with your numbers 1,1a etc
    • In that new column use a formula which is Code: =""&A2[/quote] where A2 is the cell reference of the first value in the catalogue numbers column (in my example it's in the first column)
    • copy that formula down to all rows
    • Add a title to the top of the new column, eg. 'Sorter'
    • Select all the data range, and from the Data bit of the Ribbon, select the Sort option (not using an Autofilter), and select to sort on the new Sorter column
    • You should get a dialog popping up saying the sort key may not sort as expected because it contains some numbers formatted as text. In this, choose the option to 'Sort numbers and numbers stored as text separately'.
    This should sort in the order 1,1a,1b,2,2a etc.

DavidY, Sep 1, 2017
  5. I regret that when you go into double digits your solution will provide: 1, 10, 11, 12 .......1a, 2, 20, 21, .... 2a, etc.

Tony Vella, Sep 2, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    I've had a similar problem with other things and the sort feature but mostly was solved by adding a 0 at the beginning of the number or maybe 2 0s if it was a long list. Seems Windows or Office likes to sort by number, number & letter, 2 numbers, 2 numbers & letter, etc. I got a nice little free program from Organizer Software by Duck Software for our church's library cataloging which can export as a .csv file, they have one for Stamps.

Berton, Sep 2, 2017
  7. DavidY Win User
    Yes I see your point. It's quite fiddly to separate numbers out of a string with a mix of numbers and letters.

Is there always just one letter at the end? Eg. 23k but not 27aa?

If there's just one letter then something like this formula in the 'Sorter' column might work?

Code: =IF(ISNUMBER(0+RIGHT(A3,1)),TEXT(A3,"00000")&"_",TEXT(LEFT(A3,LEN(A3)-1),"00000")&RIGHT(A3,1))[/quote] It's along the lines of Berton's comment of adding 0s but by putting a non-numeric _ character at the end when there's no letter, it should stay as a non-numeric value so no danger of it losing the leading zeros.

However this won't work if you ever have multiple letters at the end (eg. 27ab).

DavidY, Sep 2, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Start at 1A. numbers come before text in lexicographical sorting.

cereberus, Sep 2, 2017
  9. 91fw Win User
    It's a feature, see MS description and attempted solutions here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-data-in-excel
    Worksheet design needs to comply with excel features.
    For stamps you might need several columns such as country, some subdivision, year, something about the stamp. Follow with multicolumn sort.
    Now, if it really is of the 1,2,1a,… type, AND if only one lower case letter is used then this mad formula converts letters of what's in column A to a number after a decimal point.
    Multiply makes it a number otherwise excel might still treat it as text.
    IF(ISNUMBER($A2),$A2,LEFT($A2,LEN($A2)-1)&"."&CODE(RIGHT($A2,1))-96)
    Just couldn't resist joining the fun of playing with it *Smile

91fw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. MS Excel - Sorting text cells - Similar Threads - Excel Sorting text

2. Number problem in Excel cell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number problem in Excel cell: When, I enter a number in one cell,then I enter into another cell.On that time the first cell number become into decimal.example likeex.in Frist cell I enter 25 then I changed cell second one,but the first one became 0.25 like this ,what can I do now ,i think any settings...
  3. Number problem in Excel cell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Number problem in Excel cell: When, I enter a number in one cell,then I enter into another cell.On that time the first cell number become into decimal.example likeex.in Frist cell I enter 25 then I changed cell second one,but the first one became 0.25 like this ,what can I do now ,i think any settings...
  4. Cannot select text in one specific cell in Excel 365

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot select text in one specific cell in Excel 365: Am trying to select text in a cell in Excel365 to change it to strikethru but cannot select it by any means - double click just moves the cursor - SHIFT Arrow left/right does the same. I can delete it, but not select it. Other cells work correctly. Any ideas?...
  5. Cell formulas in excel spreadsheets

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cell formulas in excel spreadsheets: Can someone help me to I presume clear formatting in cells. I'm entering a column of numbers in this case planting space guides for vegetables and every once in awhile a random cell will revert to a date. For example, if you look down the column you see 15-30, 40-50, Oct-15...
  6. Excel sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel sorting: I want to sort a column of data, all of it starts with text then a number, so candidate 1; candidates 2 etc. when this gets up to candidate 10 & 11 etc and i sort the list it comes out as candidate 1; candidate 10, candidate 11, candidate 2; candidate 3 etc, i know its...
  7. How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?: Hello all, Long time no see. Been gone for a while, but now I need some help Let's say that I have an Excel table: Name Marge Maggie Lisa Homer Bart How can I sort the column so that it results in: Name Bart Homer Lisa Maggie Marge I've found some tutorials elsewhere,...
  8. coping text from a excel cell to another excel cell

coping text from a excel cell to another excel cell: I am trying to copy text from one excel to another excel cell automatically on the same worksheet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/coping-text-from-a-excel-cell-to-another-excel/5a272c74-33e6-457c-82f8-3ae3196e8f81"
  9. Make Excel display text in a column's cells based on the presence of text in neighboring cells

Make Excel display text in a column's cells based on the presence of text in neighboring cells: 1-21-19 I have seen some discussions relating to this question that involve formulae that result in text appearing in a column's cells based on the findings of a numerical value in a neighboring cell, or the converse-- a numerical value is made to appear based on a formula...
  10. EXCEL sort sequence

in Microsoft Office and 365
    EXCEL sort sequence: Hi there I'm trying to create a list of Movies in my DB in alphabetical order with folders A,B,C etc. Is there a way to store for example "The Day the earth Stood Still - 1951" in D ignoring the word "THE" in the sort sequence if it's the first word of the film title. I...