Windows 10: Ms - for people who NEED XP - what about XP mode on W10

Discus and support Ms - for people who NEED XP - what about XP mode on W10 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there For some people XP is still a necessary OS -- lots of hideously expensive lab gear / construction stuff etc runs on dedicated XP systems. A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jun 16, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Ms - for people who NEED XP - what about XP mode on W10

Hi there

For some people XP is still a necessary OS -- lots of hideously expensive lab gear / construction stuff etc runs on dedicated XP systems. A lot of this hardware has life times over 20 - 50 years for example so is not quickly replaced - and the original manufacturers have either long since been taken over or gone out of business.

Now if Ms released an XP mode that would run on W10 - it would help in getting some of these old dinosaurs away from XP on really ancient computers. Plus they could gain some money in some sort of consultancy services.

Currently some people switch to VM's but that usually requires some I.T expertise and at enterprise level of course paying a (not insubstantial) fee to people like VMWARE.

Ms could "Muscle in" on this market and be ready when its time to actually upgrade the hardware.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 16, 2016
  2. Chas V Win User

Windows 10 Compatibility with Windows 7 Ultimate/Windows XP Mode programs

Currently running Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows Virtual XP. Need the XP for one "Expensive" program that won't load in W7. Will I lose the XP Mode if I upgrade to W10? There are also differences of opinion whether Office 2007 Professional is compatible
    with W10. I think my upgrade to Office 2010 Pro is still available, but I would lose my ability to scan ".tif" files. Can I still use MS Outlook in W10 as I did not like WLM at all? Can I still run Quicken 2010 Deluxe in W10? Is there a compatibility tool
    available to check my program compatibility before I upgrade?

Chas V, Jun 16, 2016
  3. bratts5 Win User
    Help on Dual Boot

Thnx Mr Krishna fir the update. I get your point on installing W10 if XP is pre-installed. But in my case it is the other way round. My laptop is already upgraded frm W7 to W10. Now if i hv to install XP along with W10, are they any challenges i would face
    ??? I understand your point of running XP in compatible mode but technically is it possible for me to install XP also ??? Are there any challenges bcoz a fren of mine who is a network engineer & as a proffesion he also installs various SW to his clients. I
    was told by him that it is not possible to install XP at all in any system which is already running W10... Kindly help if there is any possibilty ???

Regards

Bharath

bratts5, Jun 16, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

We had similar issues with Win98 and WinME when going to WinXP. A large part of the problems will be with newer hardware but then WinXP and some of those old programs won't run on newer hardware.

I have a WinXP computer in my storage shed for use when needed when clients need files retrieved from 5.25" and 3.5" floppies and ZIP disks, have the drives installed. Adding to the issues is the BIOS has to support those floppy drives and the very latest either don't support them or the motherboard may not have the floppy controller on it. Some BIOSes of the last several years may offer only the A: drive support.

But I certainly can support the effort in getting the Win10 capability of running Win7's WinXP Mode. And an interesting thing about WinXP not seen mentioned much is that there was a 64-bit version, Professional only, but there weren't many useful 64-bit programs 'back then'.

Berton, Jun 17, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @Berton
    XP-64 Works really great as a VM BTW -- a mega problem with the native app was that drivers were a problem. Running on a VM solves most of those problems !!!.

On an SSD this VM really FLIES -= a shame Ms didn't continue with XP development -- I know W7 was well liked etc but remember before arriving at W7 people had to go through that VISTA experience which on the hardware available at the time ran like a "1-legged dog on a perfectly smooth ice pond" - or about as fast as a pile of thick molasses. VISTA runs fine as a VM on modern hardware if you want to give it another go.

I do like the "Glass" interface of Vista -- pity that was dropped in favour of more Bland designs and / or "Gamer looking platforms - with the dark Game of Thrones feel".

Gadgets on VISTA were also a good idea -- I HATE the new tiles that came up with W8 -- and (fortunately abandoned now) the idea that a computer should operate like a mobile phone with forever endless horizontal scrolling --give me a decent cascading menu system ANY time.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 17, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    XP is end of life because it's an insecure, unmaintainable mess.

Microsoft doesn't want to maintain it anymore, and providing this would mean they would be forced to keep releasing security patches at the very least.

It won't happen. It's done. If you are bound and determined to run XP, you aren't buying new hardware.

I'm reminded of how Wordperfect once though that creating PerfectOffice for Windows 3.1 would be a great idea. They could make a ton of money on people who didn't want to upgrade to Windows 95.

The short of it is that they took a bath on it. They had warehouses full of unsold copies. Why? Because people who don't upgrade their OS's don't buy new software either.

Mystere, Jun 17, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Running machinery that's digging huge railway tunnels under central London (Cross rail etc) for example on dedicated systems doesn't have the security problems of course --effectively in this case you are running an "embedded" OS. These giant Boring machines are MEGA expensive and only used with specific applications -- and - as in the case of the Channel Tunnel -if they can't be dismantled and removed then the equipment is just left "in-situ".

There's still a load of stuff (such as POS machines --which probably are "Real POS" !!) that run on XP CE or embedded -- these are taking a lot longer to convert than expected --probably we'll all be using mobiles for payment before those things are upgraded.

However expensive lab gear, measuring equipment and large plant and machinery doesn't have to connect with outside world - and by running as say XP mode on a modern OS doesn't mean Ms has to keep maintaining XP. The Host OS will have all the security required.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 17, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

Of course not what you meant but just a trivial piece of information: Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode run without an issue on a Hyper-V Windows 7 vm.

9. Mystere Win User
    And what benefit is gained by upgrading the OS on such ancient hardware, just to run a virtual machine under it?

I would doubt that most heavy machinery would function as a virtual machine anyways, they typically have special interface hardware that won't be visible from a VM to the guest OS. On top of that, something like a massive tunnel digger probably needs near-real-time response which cannot be guaranteed in a VM.

It just sounds like an idea without a real market to me.

Mystere, Jun 18, 2016
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Short answer.. NO.
    MS is pushing hard to get rid of legacy OS's like 7 and 8/8.1 now to reduce the load of work maintaining amount of code. Why would they suddenly put more code to maintain in 10 for a small market share? I can't imagine adding an Xp compatibility mode would be very easy.. I think it would be rather hard and messy.

BunnyJ, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ms - for people who NEED XP - what about XP mode on W10 - Similar Threads - NEED mode W10

2. XP needs reactivating.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    XP needs reactivating.: I am running an old XP as a secondary unit and the dvd/cd died so I replaced it. The unit will not run windows past bootup. Window says it needs reactivating. I am aware that if some hardware is changed, it is likely to cause this problem, but how do I get around it?? The...
  3. Windows XP mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows XP mode: My laptop is missing the wins file folder which contains the XP mode file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-xp-mode/d4ba8eee-c39a-4f1d-8b30-66a1d5e37093
  4. Windows XP mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows XP mode: My laptop is missing the wins file folder which contains the XP mode file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-xp-mode/d4ba8eee-c39a-4f1d-8b30-66a1d5e37093
  5. windows xp mode

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    windows xp mode: Why was windows xp mode included in Windows 7, but not 10? It would seem like something I'd use a lot if it were in 10? is there any tech or Money reason why it wasn't brought to 10 also?...
  6. Solitaire on W10 XP POINTS

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Solitaire on W10 XP POINTS: Does anyone know where to find all the points and XP bonuses won? They are not found in the app and do not show up in microsoft rewards acct. Game shows badges,rank etc but no points tally....
  7. XP dual boot with W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  8. XP dual boot with W10

in Windows 10 Support
    XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  9. XP Mode under W10? Yes, No, Maybe?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    XP Mode under W10? Yes, No, Maybe?: Confused to say the least. I have a couple of programs that I can run under XP Mode in my W7Pro setup. I have read many threads here, of which some seem to imply you cannot run XP Mode within W10 yet others seem to suggest you can, one gives a link to 'SuperUser' which says...
  10. C'mon Ms let XP users upgrade too W10 could be the REAL XP killer

in Windows 10 Support
    C'mon Ms let XP users upgrade too W10 could be the REAL XP killer: Hi there XP is STILL being run on quite a lot of computers - and the longer this goes on the security risks will get bigger. Ms has given so much away now why don't they just go that little bit extra and allow XP users to update -- They could easily do it by validating...