Windows 10: MS illegally deleted all restore points after update

Discus and support MS illegally deleted all restore points after update in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I never gave Microsoft permission to delete my restore points yet after an update MS took it on themselves to delete all my restore points. They claim... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Lothar, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Lothar Win User

MS illegally deleted all restore points after update

I never gave Microsoft permission to delete my restore points yet after an update MS took it on themselves to delete all my restore points. They claim they do this because the old restore points are not comparable with the new version but I rolled back the OS version to 1709 and still my restore points which are files I created and are my personal property did not show back up. Microsoft is illegally keeping my personal files from me. How do I fix this?

It's a brand new 1000 dollar gaming machine. If I cannot get this fixed and stop windows from trying to update itself when it is NOT broken and insists on doing things it does not have my permission to do I'm going to have to go back to an unregistered copy of Windows 8 or switch to Linux. This is Freaking Unthinkable!

If you can help me get my restore points back Next I'll have to stop windows from updating. I know this is no longer possible from within the OS settings so I'll have to use a 3rd party option - which 3rd party option works?

Will Shadow Defender or Rollback RX help me do this or do you have a better solution? (I know how they work I've used them in the past - I want to sandbox the hell out of the system so update Cannot connect to the internet)

Firewalls are Supposed to be able to do this too but I can't find any that's not in bed with Microsoft that would allow this.

:)

Lothar, Jul 16, 2018

2. Windows 10 system image restore points unable to delete

Have deleted system image backups using the windows 10 suggested method. But 2 system image rstore points are still listed under other backups. Have tried all the suggested methods on the net and from the microsoft community, but the system image restore
    points remain. Even after deleting all but the last normal restore points. I guess I can just ignore them. Would appreciate any advice as nothing seems to remove them.

Aquarius 2015, Jul 16, 2018
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Windows 10 System Restore Show More Restore Points Box Missing and Restore Points Being Deleted or Missing

Hi Steven,

There are several reasons why the Show more restore points check box is missing. Some of these are the following:

• You run out of disk space on the system drive or on any one of the available non-system drives, and System Restore stops responding and stops monitoring your system.
    • You manually turn System Restore off.
    • You upgrade from one operating system to another or you reinstall the operating system

In your case, as you have reinstalled Windows, it's possible that all restore points are deleted, that's why the
    Show more restore points check box is not appearing. Did you delete all the partitions when you reinstall Windows? If yes, then all the manually and automatically created restore points will disappear. For further isolation of the issue, we suggest that
    you create a new restore point and monitor if it will disappear in a few days just like the others.

We'll wait for your response.

Anne Ros, Jul 16, 2018
  4. MS illegally deleted all restore points after update

How do I delete Sytem Image Restore Points in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Backup images are also the part of the restore points. So when you delete the restore points those image restore points will also be deleted. You can't particularly select an image and delete. It will delete the complete restore points.

NOTE:
    This will help free up more disk space for the selected hard disk by removing all but the most recent restore point. This will also include deleting
    shadow copies (Previous versions)
    that were created with a deleted restore point.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps you.

• Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type
      cleanmgr, and press Enter.
    • Select the hard disk you want to use Disk Cleanup on, and click/tap on
      OK.
    • Click/tap on the Clean up system files button
    • If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.
    • Select the hard disk you want to use Disk Cleanup on, and click/tap on
      OK.
    • Click/tap on the More Options tab, and click/tap on the
      Clean up button under the System Restore and Shadow Copies section.
    • Click/tap on the Delete button in the confirm
      deletion window.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 16, 2018
Thema:

MS illegally deleted all restore points after update

1. MS illegally deleted all restore points after update - Similar Threads - illegally deleted restore

2. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting Restore Points: IHiIs it ok to delete the restored points and create new ones?THANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-restore-points/7d31b102-5043-403b-8d4a-ccb70760cc65
  3. Restore Points deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Points deleted: I like having restore points to deal with the periodic Microsoft Windows 10 glitches. I understand that for whatever unfathomable reason Microsoft has decided that we can't keep restore points for more than 90 days. I thought that the obvious workaround was to just to...
  4. stuck at deleting all restore points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    stuck at deleting all restore points: hi there, My device is stuck at deleting all restore points as in the screenshot. How to fix it? It happened before but forgot how it got[ATTACH] fixed....
  5. OK to delete ALL Restore Points?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    OK to delete ALL Restore Points?: I uninstalled McAfee Total Protection..., and ran their cleanup tool (Huge!). I want to install MBAM, but want system to release these old McAfee Restore Point files first! In the old XP days- I opened "Create a Restore Point Twice/Deleted All Restore Points/Reboot.- Is it...
  6. All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted.: For some reason my Windows 10 Desktop computer can't seem to keep any restore points. I manually create a restore point, and it seems they get deleted right away. All Restore points, not just a few. System restore has been enabled on all drives, there is plenty of space,...
  7. Rationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Rationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update: A much older thread discussed the reasons manual RPs get deleted, one of which was that the older restore points wouldn't apply to the new Windows version just updated. The logic seems to overlook THE most important reason one would want a restore point available after an...
  8. Rationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Rationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update: A much older thread discussed the reasons manual RPs get deleted, one of which was that the older restore points wouldn't apply to the new Windows version just updated. The logic seems to overlook THE most important reason one would want a restore point available after an...
  9. System restore deleted all restore points.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore deleted all restore points.: Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update, im not even sure what kind of. Since the update i started experiencing visual bugs in video games. Of course i thought its in-game problem, but it wasn't. I checked the system restore, and I tried to restore my laptop to one day...
  10. System restore deleted all restore points.

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore deleted all restore points.: Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update, im not even sure what kind of. Since the update i started experiencing visual bugs in video games. Of course i thought its in-game problem, but it wasn't. I checked the system restore, and I tried to restore my laptop to one day...