Windows 10: MS must do something with the excruciating Cleanmgr speed

Discus and support MS must do something with the excruciating Cleanmgr speed in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. I am creating this post in the event MS will notice this issue. I have just updating a laptop from 16299.251 from 16299.309 and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by eLPuSHeR, Mar 14, 2018.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

MS must do something with the excruciating Cleanmgr speed

Hello.

I am creating this post in the event MS will notice this issue.

I have just updating a laptop from 16299.251 from 16299.309 and the process of cleaning Windows Updates is taking more than one hour. This isn't acceptable in my opinion.

Command used was: dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

*Arrow Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

:)

eLPuSHeR, Mar 14, 2018

2. How to change playback speed in Windows 10 ?

How do I change the playback speed? I am using Windows 10. Right clicking does nothing in online streaming. I must have
    accidentally clicked onto something.

Mark Al JosephS. M. Vela, Mar 14, 2018
  3. Jparks877 Win User
    touch pad settings auto reset

touchpad setting for 'momentum', 'speed' (for momentum) seem do reset themselves each time I logout ... login. I must set the touchpad each time I login. Is there something I am missing.

Jparks877, Mar 14, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

The best way to get MS to notice an issue is to post a note to the Feedback Hub through Windows itself. MS does scan these forums, but that doesn't get into official feedback channels anywhere near as well, as fast, or as noticeably as posting to Feedback Hub. How do I know this? That's what every single MS marketing/development person who addressed us MVPs at the Summit in Redmond last week said. Every.Single.One.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 14, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    You know you're in for the long haul when it says there are 3.99TB that can be cleaned up.

Obviously that's not a real figure, but in one particular way it's true. The updates are stored in WinSxS where a lot of hardlinks are used (these allow a file to be listed in multiple folders, but only one physical copy is held on the drive). Ironically, hardlinks are used to reduce the storage required, but apps like File Explorer or Disk Clean-up count each hardlink towards the total used space. 3.99TB just seems to be the maximum Disk Clean-up can count up to.

Analyze Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

There seems to be no discernible reason why some updates produce so many hardlinks, but that's where the real bug lies. It seems it's not a bug in poor Cleanmgr that has to clear up the mess after one of these 'over-enthusiastic' updates throws hardlinks here there and everywhere. A hardlink takes just as much time to delete as a physical file, so 'don't shoot the messenger'.

(I'm even seeing the '3.99TB' after some Windows 7 updates now)

6. Mystere Win User
    I hope you understand that cleanmgr and dism are two entirely different things.

Mystere, Mar 15, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    It doesn't really matter how you start the clean up of the WinSxS component store, Disk Clean-up or dism. Task Manager shows TiWorker doing the actual work and the end result is the same.

The problem is all those hardlinks that have to be removed, and the cause is the way the update was structured.

8. eLPuSHeR Win User

Maybe they should change this a bit. I recall Win7 cleanmgr to be a lot faster but maybe that is not even the case nowadays.

eLPuSHeR, Mar 15, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    As I said earlier, I still have Windows 7 on some machines and I've seen the 3.99TB to be cleaned up appear in Windows 7 now. This seems to have happened since the updates for Windows 7 adopted the Windows 10 format of monthly roll-ups. I'm sure it's something in the way updates are installed that's the cause, cleanmgr is just the effect.

10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Thanks for the info Bree.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. MS must do something with the excruciating Cleanmgr speed - Similar Threads - must something excruciating

2. What must I do in order to remedy my issue? Is this something that can be fixed with a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What must I do in order to remedy my issue? Is this something that can be fixed with a...: Good morning, I have a new Packard Bell CloudBook 14.1" display that began an action that, so far, I have not found a fix. I did see an answer for what seems to be my issue and the answer was,"a stuck control key". I banged on my control keys but, to no avail and the issue...
  3. What must I do in order to remedy my issue? Is this something that can be fixed with a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What must I do in order to remedy my issue? Is this something that can be fixed with a...: Good morning, I have a new Packard Bell CloudBook 14.1" display that began an action that, so far, I have not found a fix. I did see an answer for what seems to be my issue and the answer was,"a stuck control key". I banged on my control keys but, to no avail and the issue...
  4. MS Flight simulator download speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Flight simulator download speed: So slow. Day 3 25% testes dl speed and it was 135 Are there any fixes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-flight-simulator-download-speed/3169fda4-5648-4f91-93ad-71319a41d0c6
  5. Something in windows is limiting my network speed...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Something in windows is limiting my network speed...: I should have a speed about 25 Megabytes per seconds that's around 200 Megabits per second. But I get only 1.4 Megabytes which again are around 10 Megabits. W - T - F. On all other Devices it works. Tried without success: Windows Update Installation (Now on 2004) Driver...
  6. How to Run CleanMGR to Automatically Include System Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Run CleanMGR to Automatically Include System Files: I am trying to create a shortcut that will run the CleanMGR with all options selected AND include the System Files. I have found that running: Code: C:\Windows\System32\cleanmgr.exe /LOWDISK This will provide a prompt to the user. or Code: C:\Windows\System32\cleanmgr.exe...
  7. VAIO PC excruciatingly slow for unknown reason

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    VAIO PC excruciatingly slow for unknown reason: Hi, I'm primarily a Mac person, coming back to windows on this PC cause its the only one in the house with an optical drive. Last windows OS I used was XP, and I'm totally lost in 10. As I understand (I am not the primary user of this computer) the OS has recently been...
  8. CleanMgr+ and old updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    CleanMgr+ and old updates: Installed CleanMgr+ and it has an option to uninstall old updates??? How can I tell which update is no longer needed? 131957
  9. CleanMgr+ and old updates

in Windows 10 Support
    CleanMgr+ and old updates: Installed CleanMgr+ and it has an option to uninstall old updates??? How can I tell which update is no longer needed? 131957
  10. Why won't cleanmgr work in a batch file

in Windows 10 Support
    Why won't cleanmgr work in a batch file: I've previously run cleanmgr /sageset:1 and checked everything including Recycle Bin. If I run cleanmgr /sagerun:1 from a command prompt, the Recycle Bin is emptied. If I put that command it a batch file, let's say test.bat and run said file without the involvement of a...