Windows 10: MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently

Discus and support MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I recently noticed that when I am saving a MS Word document the icon has changed. I am running windows 10 and MS Office Professional 2016. This only... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by lnjr, Jan 18, 2018.

1. lnjr Win User

MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently

I recently noticed that when I am saving a MS Word document the icon has changed. I am running windows 10 and MS Office Professional 2016. This only started happening within the past week. i tried doing a quick repair of MS Office and that did not solve the problem so I went back to the control panel and selected to do the online repair. However that has not fixed the problem. I have run malware and spyware scans and well as a full anti-virus scan and everything comes back clean and it is only happening with the MS Word documents - excel is fine and so is everything else. If I open a document that is a little older and then close it, it still looks the same as it always has, but any newly created documents look different now and other than Windows updates there have been no other changes to my computer.

The documents are saving properly and there is no issue with opening them, but they no longer show that W icon for the document

How to I resolve this issue if doing an online repair which uninstalls the program and then I need to reinstall it does not resolve the issue.

The image on the left is the way they have always looked and all of a sudden any documents I save are looking like the one on the right

MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently [​IMG]

:)

2. Andre Da Costa, Jan 18, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    MS Word not working

OK, if you really need to save the file until you get your licencing sorted out, choose 'Print to PDF' and save the document as a PDF. You will be able to open it later with MS Word (Word will convert the PDF back to a Word Document).

With regards to the licencing issue, what version of Office are you running (2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 or 365)?

DaveM121, Jan 18, 2018
  4. AndreTen Win User

@lnjr How do you save your documents? Did you change default from .docx to .odt perhaps? If you have your extension hidden, make Windows 10 to show them.

*Arrow tutorials | hide-show-file-name-extensions-windows-10

AndreTen, Jan 21, 2018
  5. Check in the save-as or save dialogue as you save the file, there's a checkbox that says "Save Thumbnail", remove the tick if the thumbnail image offends you

Hearsepilot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently - Similar Threads - Office 2016 word

2. Opening documents saved in Word

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening documents saved in Word: Hello I have many documents created in Open Office but saved as Word docs so they can be sent to others in a readable form. Suddenly they no can no longer be opened and any attempt to do so brings up a window stating that 'You are trying to use Office but you don't have...
  3. dictation in MS Word 2016

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dictation in MS Word 2016: MS Word does not activate mic when I click on mic icon. mic does work thru Cortana but not through Word icon. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dictation-in-ms-word-2016/5aafd46b-65b9-4cde-9268-03bcbd2abb87
  4. Word document not auto saved

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Word document not auto saved: I wrote a word document and never titled it or even saved it originally. i work and come back to my work and know that autosave exists so i didn't worry about it. My computer got closed accidentally. 2 days later i opened word and found my document under Document 1 as is...
  5. Saving a word document as PDF

in Windows 10 Customization
    Saving a word document as PDF: Hi, I have created a document in word, but would like to save it in PDF. When I click "save as", there is PDF option in the drop down. I have tried downloading a converter from Google, but it changes my settings when converting. Any suggestions on how to get it into my drop...
  6. MS Office & unable to save documents without signing into MS - Ugh!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MS Office & unable to save documents without signing into MS - Ugh!: Recently after another monthly RIDICULOUS MS update I am unable to save documents to my personal PC without having to sign into my MS account! This is awful - I am not at all happy - I do not want to put anything out on the CLOUD!!!! I want it on my PC ONLY! Either tell me...
  7. When I open MS Word documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When I open MS Word documents: When I now open MS Word documents I find they are all encrypted. How do I get the documents to display normally? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/when-i-open-ms-word-documents/41b7d182-4393-4b85-a9cf-db993c031280
  8. word documents saved as wordpad documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    word documents saved as wordpad documents: I am using Word 2013 on my laptop. Windows 8 was operating system. Recently upgraded to Windows 10. When I save Word documents now, they are saved as Wordpad documents. (.xml files) Wordpad does not recommend some of the Word formatting and alters the documents. How do I...
  9. Saving office documents

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Saving office documents: I have just created a new word document. When I try to do a "file", "save as" it tells me I don't have permission to save in that location and to contact the administrator to obtain permission. I am the administrator as mine is the only name in the users. Has anyone else come...
  10. Word 2016 crashes on save/save as

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2016 crashes on save/save as: When I do a save as or save, MS Word 2016, Version 1704 Build 8067.2157 becomes non responsive. No matter what the destination is, usually documents, it just crashes. Task manager to get out of it. Searched for problem on the internet, tried most if not all of the suggestions...