Windows 10: MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently

Discus and support MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I recently noticed that when I am saving a MS Word document the icon has changed. I am running windows 10 and MS Office Professional 2016. This only... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by lnjr, Jan 18, 2018.

1. lnjr Win User

MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently

I recently noticed that when I am saving a MS Word document the icon has changed. I am running windows 10 and MS Office Professional 2016. This only started happening within the past week. i tried doing a quick repair of MS Office and that did not solve the problem so I went back to the control panel and selected to do the online repair. However that has not fixed the problem. I have run malware and spyware scans and well as a full anti-virus scan and everything comes back clean and it is only happening with the MS Word documents - excel is fine and so is everything else. If I open a document that is a little older and then close it, it still looks the same as it always has, but any newly created documents look different now and other than Windows updates there have been no other changes to my computer.

The documents are saving properly and there is no issue with opening them, but they no longer show that W icon for the document

How to I resolve this issue if doing an online repair which uninstalls the program and then I need to reinstall it does not resolve the issue.

The image on the left is the way they have always looked and all of a sudden any documents I save are looking like the one on the right

MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently [​IMG]

:)

2. Andre Da Costa, Jan 18, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    MS Word not working

OK, if you really need to save the file until you get your licencing sorted out, choose 'Print to PDF' and save the document as a PDF. You will be able to open it later with MS Word (Word will convert the PDF back to a Word Document).

With regards to the licencing issue, what version of Office are you running (2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 or 365)?

DaveM121, Jan 18, 2018
  4. AndreTen Win User

@lnjr How do you save your documents? Did you change default from .docx to .odt perhaps? If you have your extension hidden, make Windows 10 to show them.

*Arrow tutorials | hide-show-file-name-extensions-windows-10

AndreTen, Jan 21, 2018
  5. Check in the save-as or save dialogue as you save the file, there's a checkbox that says "Save Thumbnail", remove the tick if the thumbnail image offends you

Hearsepilot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently - Similar Threads - Office 2016 word

2. Can I save a document that is either a Neat Office or Word Pad document then save it as a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I save a document that is either a Neat Office or Word Pad document then save it as a...: I used to use word pad WAY back when I 1st began using PCs and there really wasn't anything else because that's what came installed on my computer. Problem is, I cannot open them using the Word program. So I looked at the Microsoft store for an app that would open them and...
  3. Can I save a document that is either a Neat Office or Word Pad document then save it as a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I save a document that is either a Neat Office or Word Pad document then save it as a...: I used to use word pad WAY back when I 1st began using PCs and there really wasn't anything else because that's what came installed on my computer. Problem is, I cannot open them using the Word program. So I looked at the Microsoft store for an app that would open them and...
  4. Can I save a document that is either a Neat Office or Word Pad document then save it as a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Looking for a word document

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Looking for a word document: I started an assignment for school a few weeks ago on Microsoft word (on a PC with windows 10), I’m 95% sure I saved it but apparently not cause its gone. By gone I mean it’s not in the file recovery folder, it’s not in my recycling bin, and a file recovery software was...
  6. MS Word constant errors when opening or trying to save documents

MS Word constant errors when opening or trying to save documents: I'm trying to use Word under a MS Office 365 ProPlus account. When I open Word, I get: "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environmental variable." This message occurs repeatedly and randomly when I am trying to use Word. I have to click OK then go...
  7. Saving Word Documents

Saving Word Documents: How can I save a word document as a JPG file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-word-documents/93d7a253-ae4d-4ac4-90f1-3923058007b6"
  8. MS Office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS Office 2016: Where can I download Office Pro Plus 2016. I Have it and have Key for it but takes a long time to download. want to have Disk Image of it. 140675
  9. Word 2016 crashes on save/save as

Word 2016 crashes on save/save as: When I do a save as or save, MS Word 2016, Version 1704 Build 8067.2157 becomes non responsive. No matter what the destination is, usually documents, it just crashes. Task manager to get out of it. Searched for problem on the internet, tried most if not all of the suggestions...
  10. Word 2016 (office 365 subscription) docx saving slow

Word 2016 (office 365 subscription) docx saving slow: I noticed an issue when saving Word docx files on Office 2016. It's slow, I see a progress bar at the bottom right when it saves and it takes about 30 seconds to save. Okay it's large file with a couple hundred pages and a few hundred kb in size but surely it shouldn't take...