Windows 10: MS print to pdf fails from firefox, works from edge and test page

Discus and support MS print to pdf fails from firefox, works from edge and test page in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have firefox v49 (portable version from portableapps.com) and when I choose print and select MS print to pdf, it goes through the motions but the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by rocket777, Nov 4, 2016.

1. rocket777 Win User

MS print to pdf fails from firefox, works from edge and test page

I have firefox v49 (portable version from portableapps.com) and when I choose print and select MS print to pdf, it goes through the motions but the file does not get created.

I can use the test print function with success and also it worked from edge and notepad. Could it be firefox (or my portable version) that is the issue?

Anyone else see this or any ideas how to get it to work with Firefox?

:)

rocket777, Nov 4, 2016
  2. Heath9409 Win User

Destination Folder/File for MS Print to PDF

I've given up using Edge altogether. I use Chrome and Firefox.

Chrome still works fully so that you can right-click to get to the print option via the drop down and select "MS Print to PDF" and then the choose location window pops up.

Firefox has (very annoyingly) removed the print option from the right-click drop down so you have to go via the menus to get to "MS Print to PDF", but you do still get the choose location window. Can't find how to get the print option back onto the right-click
    drop down and so it isn't possible to print a pop-up window such as an eBay fees invoice. Also I've found that the Firefox print function doesn't print the contents of a frame such as my bank statements, it just prints the outside of the frame. However, it's
    still better than MS Edge.

Heath9409, Nov 4, 2016
  3. BBinWY Win User
    Win10 PDF files not readable

I spoke with Angelica from Microsoft, and after a long remote connection, she made Edge print to PDF, however they are still looking for a fix and will push out one when solved.

Testing & getting it to work involved setting Edge to emulate IE11 which was surprising at first. However, I have noticed that using the PDF995 driver resulted in IE11 settings windows popping up.

Credit to her for not needing to whine about my Adobe Reader as the PDF default, or to look for a connected printer as the other rep did. She did need a nudge to try printing from an actual web page instead of simply opening a PDF and printing that.

Status: Edge now prints to PDF using the MS driver. It's caught up to Chrome, and there's more testing and a fix required. I don't believe Edge is ready for prime time but it works. We did not test the 'doodle on a web page and forward it' functionality...
    the other great advance that they tout.

Note that my wife's Surface Pro 3 prints to PDF without issue. Full preview, flipping thru pages, the whole schmear. Why my Lenovo Yoga 900 - a MS partner - can't is interesting.

BBinWY, Nov 4, 2016
  4. MS print to pdf fails from firefox, works from edge and test page

Hi:

AFAIK, "print to PDF" is not a built-in feature for Firefox under Windows, at least for the installed version.
    I presume it's probably the same for the portable version.
    I think you would need some sort of plug-in or extension or 3rd-party application (Adobe Reader DC, Acrobat, etc.) in order to provide that capability.

how to print a page on firefox in pdf | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support

Someone will correct me if I am wrong....

MM

MoxieMomma, Nov 5, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    In my installed Firefox 49 I just went to File, Print and chose Microsoft Print to PDF, worked fine and prompted to give the .pdf file a name and by default saved in my Documents Folder. When double-clicked it opened okay.

Berton, Nov 5, 2016
  6. Indeed.
    I stand corrected.
    I was able to reproduce your steps, @Berton.
    Ya' learn something new every day... Thanks for that tip.

I guess it's built-in to Win10?

(I am not on my Win7 box to compare under that OS.)

Hi, @rocket777 -- perhaps you skipped that step???

MM

MoxieMomma, Nov 5, 2016
  7. rocket777 Win User
    I did all the steps and entered a file name and then it gives an error dialog, with a title of print preview error, and in the dialog it says, an error occurred while printing, but I can't find anywhere to get more information.

I am guessing it's probably the portable version of the program that is causing the problem. I probably need to post on some FF site.

In the meantime, I found a FF addon , pdf creator, which works.

rocket777, Nov 5, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

No, I've just downloaded Firefox Portable 49.0.2 from here Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives and it successfully created a file when I printed to the 'Microsoft Print to PDF' printer.

@MoxieMomma 'Microsoft Print to PDF' comes with Windows 10 (first seen in 1511, if I recall correctly). There was a 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer' available for Windows 7, but no MS-supplied printer to print to pdfs - for that you needed 3rd-party apps.

Bree, Nov 5, 2016
  9. rocket777 Win User
    I downloaded from the same place and installed separate from my regular version thinking it could be my FF profile and all my add on's etc. I got the same problem, however.

Thanks for testing it. This means it's got to be something peculiar with my system. At this point, I don't think there's going to be any way to troubleshoot it since it doesn't say anything about the error and I don't even know if the message comes from firefox or windows. I guess I'll just use the pdf creator addon or copy a url to edge and print from there.

rocket777, Nov 5, 2016
  10. Bree New Member
    You're welcome. I normally use the regular Firefox but I've always intended to get the portable one too, just never got round to it. You gave me a good excuse. *Smile

11. Indeed!
    I never noticed it or tried it, because I've always used Adobe Acrobat.
    That "printer" is the first PDF printer to appear on the list, so I never scrolled down to see the "MS print to PDF" option.

Thanks for the tip and the correction.*Smile

MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. MS print to pdf fails from firefox, works from edge and test page - Similar Threads - print pdf fails

2. MS Print to PDF stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Print to PDF stopped working: I have two Lenovo laptops different models, not networked, both running Windows 64 Professional. All software is up to date.About two weeks ago they both lost the ability to print to pdf. I've tried every suggestion I've been able to find online, without finding a fix, and...
  3. MS Print to PDF stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Print to PDF stopped working: I have two Lenovo laptops different models, not networked, both running Windows 64 Professional. All software is up to date.About two weeks ago they both lost the ability to print to pdf. I've tried every suggestion I've been able to find online, without finding a fix, and...
  4. MS Print to PDF stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Consecutive print of same page using 'Microsoft Print to PDF' from chrome or Edge chromium...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Consecutive print of same page using 'Microsoft Print to PDF' from chrome or Edge chromium...: If the user tries to print a larger sized webpage or any kind of document using 'Microsoft Print to PDF', it will print that page. Again immediately print the same document while print spooler is processing the earlier print document to 'Microsoft Print to PDF'. This action...
  6. Printing PDF's from Edge differing from IE11

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printing PDF's from Edge differing from IE11: When printing a certain PDF document through a vendor's website in IE11 by pressing the print button, the status bar shows "downloading files" and then the print dialogue box appears and allows you to choose a printer. This document has 5 different PDF files 15 pages in it....
  7. Copying favorites from Firefox to MS Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Copying favorites from Firefox to MS Edge: Have just this last week upgraded/updated to W10 from the MS site itself. (Version 1909) (yep, the free offer from them is still there, you just got to know how to download it!). I'm messing around at the moment with this "new" Microsoft Edge. By the way, l can still access...
  8. MS Edge - Unable to print from

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge - Unable to print from: I have a Samsung ativ laptop. clicked on ms edge and logged into sports authority. tried to print a rewards certificate and could not. Has anyone had this problem???? 15467
  9. Can't print a Win10 Test page/from Office 2010 but can Chrome or Edge?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't print a Win10 Test page/from Office 2010 but can Chrome or Edge?: Windows version: Windows 10 v1607 (Build 10.0.14393) 64-Bit Printer: HP Deskjet 3630 with latest Windows 10 drivers from HP's website Security software: Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. No 3rd party software installed. I cannot print a Windows 10 Test page or from...
  10. MS Print to PDF not working

in Windows 10 Support
    MS Print to PDF not working: As near as I can tell, this worked BEFORE the latest Windows update. In Outlook, when I attempt to use the Print to PDF as a print destination, I get an error "Printer not ready". Research showed a couple possibilities, so here's what I've done SO FAR: Made Print to...